Author Topic: The most beautiful hymns I've ever heard in my life were.....  (Read 3159 times)

Offline Christianus

• Elder
Were in OCE,Russian and in Latin.
Greek sounds so ugly to me though everything Latin sounds perfect to me.
I want someone to rival this Latin Hymn Veni Veni Emmanuel in beauty: give me a Greek hymn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRi1GDoaQu4

Of course The most beautiful hymns in the orthodox church in my opinion are the Slavic hymns.
Of course don't send me Slavic hymns because I"m convinced that they're as equally as beautiful as the Latin hymns, but I need a Greek one.

Offline ozgeorge

• I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
  • Hoplitarches
  • My plans for retirement.
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia
Re: The most beautiful hymns I've ever heard in my life were.....
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 06:02:26 AM »
I want someone to rival this Latin Hymn Veni Veni Emmanuel in beauty: give me a Greek hymn.

Of course The most beautiful hymns in the orthodox church in my opinion are the Slavic hymns.
Of course don't send me Slavic hymns because I"m convinced that they're as equally as beautiful as the Latin hymns, but I need a Greek one.

If "Greek sounds so ugly" to you, what is the point of trying to impress you with a Greek hymn?
If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.

Offline Christianus

• Elder
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 06:12:40 AM »

If "Greek sounds so ugly" to you, what is the point of trying to impress you with a Greek hymn?

I want a beautiful Greek Hymn, like the Russian and Latin hymns, give me one.

Offline ozgeorge

• I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
  • Hoplitarches
  • My plans for retirement.
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 06:15:33 AM »

I want a beautiful Greek Hymn, like the Russian and Latin hymns, give me one.
No.
If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.

Offline Justin Kissel

• Formerly a *, now a ☆
  • Protospatharios
  • Faith: Agnosticish
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 08:51:15 AM »
Matthew777, is that you?  ;D
"Christian America is finally waking up to what fraternities and biker gangs have known for years: hazing works!"

Offline 88Devin12

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch

Offline scamandrius

• Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
  • Taxiarches
  • Jurisdiction: Greek in exile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 12:20:47 PM »
The only Latin chant I've ever heard and really liked was "Old Roman Chant" from the 6th Century, notice the striking similarity to Byzantine.

There is the story that Pope Gregory I "The Great Dialogist" actually was very familiar with the Byzantine chanting of southern Italy and Sicily and thus incorporated it into a new "workable" form for the clergy in Rome and other "romanized" areas.  One thing that a lot of Gregorian scholars have (re)discovered of late is that the old roman/Gregorian chant DID have an ison.
I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene

Offline 88Devin12

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 12:35:48 PM »
The only Latin chant I've ever heard and really liked was "Old Roman Chant" from the 6th Century, notice the striking similarity to Byzantine.

There is the story that Pope Gregory I "The Great Dialogist" actually was very familiar with the Byzantine chanting of southern Italy and Sicily and thus incorporated it into a new "workable" form for the clergy in Rome and other "romanized" areas.  One thing that a lot of Gregorian scholars have (re)discovered of late is that the old roman/Gregorian chant DID have an ison.

Yup, I had heard he traveled to Constantinople and brought it back.

Offline SamB

• High Elder
  • Crates of araq for sale! *hic*
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 01:23:19 PM »
A pity the forum does not accept certain file attachments; otherwise I could settle this decisively with one swift round of cannon fire. 

The most repetitive, predictable chant we of the Greek/Arabic sphere have is probably the Xristos Anesti, and that predictability can dull its musical impact even in a tradition with a remarkably poignant musical system--I normally would not send a sample of the Easter Troparion to demonstrate the power of Byzantine chant.  That nonetheless amidst this often boring regularity there can sometimes arise out of the musical versions of that troparion one that breaks that monotony and carries with it a magnificent distinction is I think a testament to the qualities of the Greek/Arabic tradition of Orthodox chant.

Regrettably, without the attachment system I need here, I will not be able to silence your contemptible blasphemy, Christianius, with that music file guaranteed to power your subwoofer into breaking down concrete walls. :-)

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 01:48:22 PM »

I want someone to rival this Latin Hymn ...

I never thought I'd see someone turning Christian hymns into a Battle Of The Bands-like competition.  I guess if a bear can ride a tricycle, anything's possible.   
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
  • Praying for the Christians in Iraq
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 01:54:24 PM »

I want someone to rival this Latin Hymn ...

I never thought I'd see someone turning Christian hymns into a Battle Of The Bands-like competition.  I guess if a bear can ride a tricycle, anything's possible.   
I would really like to see an American Idol version of this thread.
You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 01:55:05 PM »
Really, ugly?  That's the best word you can think of?  I would seem to think maybe you find Latin music preferable, but Byzantine music ugly?  Despite perhaps that I personally don't find almost any music "ugly," I would say you probably offended a great number of people here.  If one was to say that Coptic music was "ugly" I'd be quite pissed.

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt.  I understand you don't find Greek music "attractive" to you.  And that's fine to say, because you're not being offensive there.  Someone who may clearly be very pretty may not be attractive to me, but she's definitely not ugly, or else I'd be quite insulting.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 02:02:16 PM »
Ha! This thread reminds me of the one from December about how ugly Byzantine art is:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,24767.0.html

Christianus, nobody needs to dazzle you with just the right Byzantine tune. You really need to stop making threads that pit Orthodoxy against the Vatican in an ultimate death-match showdown. It might take you a while to figure it out, but most people around here don't care about whether or not you personally find elements of Orthodoxy to be pleasurable.

Offline genesisone

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 02:08:24 PM »
everything Latin sounds perfect to me.
That's a discussion ender.

Offline Orthodox11

• Archon
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 02:14:58 PM »
Latin Hymn Veni Veni Emmanuel

I found some parts of this melody beautiful, others a bit annoying and dull. I have a feeling not a single person here cares though. It certainly says nothing for or against the Latin Church or her rites.

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 02:20:34 PM »
It certainly says nothing for or against the Latin Church or her rites.

He likes it, so it's the One True Church!  Period!

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 02:31:44 PM »
Hey, come on, at 16 we all had our strong opinions about stuff...

Offline arimethea

• Getting too old for this
  • Archon
  • Does anyone really care what you think?
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 02:48:52 PM »
Dear All,

I was going to lock this thread from the very start because these types of conversations never lead to anything good but decided to allow a discussion to take place. After reading the replies it has now become clear that this thread was started as an attempt to troll for heated responses. Please forgive me for not locking this sooner.

Arimethea
Liturgy Section Moderator
Joseph