OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 31, 2014, 06:46:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saturday Night Live mocks Orthodoxy  (Read 2714 times) Average Rating: 0
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« on: March 07, 2010, 03:25:18 PM »

Did anyone else see this sketch which was on Saturday Night Live last night?

http://www.hulu.com/watch/132875/saturday-night-live-kissing-family#s-p1-sr-i1

I found it disgusting and offensive on several levels.  It's obviously a mockery how some non-American cultures express affection more physically than most Americans are used to seeing, and it also mocks Orthodox Christian funeral customs.  I think it is shameful, and should not go without protest.

If Hulu doesn't work for you, the basic gist of the sketch is a man introducing his girlfriend to his family at a funeral.  The so-called joke is that everyone besides the girl is extremely physically affectionate, even with total strangers.  Part of it shows a man dressed as an Orthodox priest (Zach Galifianakis, who was raised Orthodox) tongue-kissing and making out with another man, and then being called "very religious" by another man (who also exchanges a long series of kisses with the "priest").  And the climax of the sketch is one man tongue-kissing a body in an open casket (which grabs him and kisses him back).

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 03:56:24 PM »

Fortunately or unfortunately, the video doesn't work here, but this is something I've been thinking about lately. Many of my non-Orthodox friends have told me over the past few years how ill at ease they feel with all the touching and kissing going on in the Orthodox Church. When I have explained the custom of Forgiveness Sunday, many of them have recoiled at the thought. They've said that not only do they dislike the idea of having to hug and kiss people from church, but that they find the idea of asking forgiveness of others once a year to be insincere. Oddly, I never once felt this way and was quite shocked to hear these opinions.

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
alexp4uni
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: kinda practicing theist
Jurisdiction: ecumenical kind

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 04:00:10 PM »

Comments rescinded after sounding to inappropriate.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 04:08:13 PM by alexp4uni » Logged
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 04:34:53 PM »

I think it is shameful, and should not go without protest.

We're not Muslims. We can handle a little mockery. Our God is not in need of defence.
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 04:47:48 PM »

We're not Muslims. We can handle a little mockery. Our God is not in need of defence.

I think it's our duty to call them to repentance.  It's so rare to see Orthodoxy portrayed in popular culture, and having one of the rare appearances be something as foul and ghastly as this, is really disheartening to me.

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

f.k.a. Matron.a
samkim
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 04:50:23 PM »

I think it's our duty to call them to repentance.  It's so rare to see Orthodoxy portrayed in popular culture, and having one of the rare appearances be something as foul and ghastly as this, is really disheartening to me.

Let's take care of our own souls first.

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 04:58:36 PM »

It's so rare to see Orthodoxy portrayed in popular culture, and having one of the rare appearances be something as foul and ghastly as this, is really disheartening to me.

"If you were of the world, the world would love its own. Yet because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you." John 15:19

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 05:03:38 PM »

I think it's our duty to call them to repentance.  It's so rare to see Orthodoxy portrayed in popular culture, and having one of the rare appearances be something as foul and ghastly as this, is really disheartening to me.

Let's take care of our own souls first.

Certainly not when the person is Orthodox; we are supposed to admonish our brethren charitably (and in private in the first instance) with the eye towards procuring their repentance. Zach Galifianakis was raised Orthodox (not sure of his current affiliation though).  Therefore, he should be called to repentance, and we should not "take care of our own souls first."  We'll be doing that the rest of our lives.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 05:04:45 PM by Fr. Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 05:05:04 PM »

Zach Galifianakis. Dimitri Martin, et al ...  I care about them as much as I care about Duke University, which is zero.   Roll Eyes
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 05:05:29 PM »

Of all the things to protest in the world, I think the antics of a comedy show, widely acknowledged to be increasingly moribund, are pretty low on the list. Besides, the joke has more to do with the mores of mainstream US culture than Orthodox culture which most people don't encounter anyway.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 05:05:42 PM »

we should not "take care of our own souls first."  We'll be doing that the rest of our lives.
Which shouldn't leave us much time for anything else.

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 05:05:48 PM »

It's so rare to see Orthodoxy portrayed in popular culture, and having one of the rare appearances be something as foul and ghastly as this, is really disheartening to me.

"If you were of the world, the world would love its own. Yet because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you." John 15:19

I also agree with George.  Yeah everyone thinks it's kind of cool when Orthodoxy gets a "shout out" in a movie, but at what expense? This is the flipside.

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 05:06:38 PM »

we should not "take care of our own souls first."  We'll be doing that the rest of our lives.

We won't be doing our souls a favor if we neglect concern for our erring brethren.

Please Buy My Book!

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 05:07:10 PM »

We won't be doing our souls a favor if we neglect concern for our erring brethren.

Roll Eyes

Off you go then.

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 05:08:25 PM »

Of all the things to protest in the world, I think the antics of a comedy show, widely acknowledged to be increasingly moribund, are pretty low on the list. Besides, the joke has more to do with the mores of mainstream US culture than Orthodox culture which most people don't encounter anyway.

I don't think we should protest the show. I think someone who knows Zach G. should reach out to him and admonish him privately to repent for his blasphemy. One can't expect a TV comedy show known for gutter humor will ever stop. One can hope that an individual raised as an Orthodox can be reasoned with and prayed for to repent.

Please Buy My Book!

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2010, 05:10:43 PM »

we should not "take care of our own souls first."  We'll be doing that the rest of our lives.

Roll Eyes

Off you go then.

I already did my part--I prayed for him when I saw what happened. My hope is that someone who actually knows him and is Orthodox will privately admonish him and lead him to repentance.  I don't advocate protesting some stupid TV show.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 05:11:13 PM by Fr. Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2010, 05:16:10 PM »

I think someone who knows Zach G. should reach out to him and admonish him privately to repent for his blasphemy.
Good advice. I just took it with another friend of mine. Thanks!

Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2010, 05:23:27 PM »

I also agree with George.  Yeah everyone thinks it's kind of cool when Orthodoxy gets a "shout out" in a movie, but at what expense? This is the flipside.

If they're going to reference Orthodoxy, they should at least be honest (thieving bishop?  Smiley ). 

Portraying us as homoerotic necrophiliacs is, I would think, going a tiny bit too far, and maybe they need to know that.

f.k.a. Matron.a
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2010, 05:26:12 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a4hozaPKo4
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2010, 05:27:38 PM »

I watch that and see SNL making fun of the uptight waspy northern european culture more than anything.    Ii was raised in a family that was very non-openly-affectionate.  I've gotten over it, but for those of us who were raised in dour Anglo-Saxon families where anything more than a pat on the back is seen as something that should be done in private, the affection shown by the Mediterraneans and Slavs (both Orthodox and Catholic), even ritualized affection as exhibited at Orthodox funerals and on Forgiveness Sunday, can seem a bit extreme.  As Americans, especially American males, have started to be more openly affectionate with one another, the old uptight ways are ripe for mockery.  

That's my two pfennigs, anyways.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2010, 05:28:22 PM »

Is that for REAL?? Shocked Shocked

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2010, 05:30:52 PM »

I watch that and see SNL making fun of the uptight waspy northern european culture more than anything.    Ii was raised in a family that was very non-openly-affectionate.  I've gotten over it, but for those of us who were raised in dour Anglo-Saxon families where anything more than a pat on the back is seen as something that should be done in private, the affection shown by the Mediterraneans and Slavs (both Orthodox and Catholic), even ritualized affection as exhibited at Orthodox funerals and on Forgiveness Sunday, can seem a bit extreme.  As Americans, especially American males, have started to be more openly affectionate with one another, the old uptight ways are ripe for mockery.  

That's my two pfennigs, anyways.

I agree, Shultz. I recently met some members of my family and was shocked to observe how emotion of any sort was avoided, indeed, any expression of emotion and/or feelings appeared to be treated with cold disdain. Unnerving.

Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2010, 05:33:09 PM »

I don't see them bending each other over and using their tongues.

And what really upset me was how the whole thing was played for laughs, like physical affection itself deserves mockery.  And the audience laughs at the priest when he walks into the room, before he's even done anything.

f.k.a. Matron.a
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2010, 05:39:40 PM »

If they're going to reference Orthodoxy, they should at least be honest (thieving bishop?  Smiley ).

Portraying us as homoerotic necrophiliacs is, I would think, going a tiny bit too far, and maybe they need to know that.
Have you seen some of the false accusations and insults being hurled at my Patriarch on this forum? Orual, I think we should be thanking the good people of SNL who are the cause of blessing for us.
"“Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 05:40:04 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2010, 05:49:29 PM »

If they're going to reference Orthodoxy, they should at least be honest (thieving bishop?  Smiley ).

Have you seen some of the false accusations and insults being hurled at my Patriarch on this forum? Orual, I think we should be thanking the good people of SNL who are the cause of blessing for us.
"“Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

Cool.  Let's thank them by bringing them the good news.

f.k.a. Matron.a
Mivac

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2010, 06:34:06 PM »

Saturday Night live has always been twisted.

Thankfully not everyone in the United States is that twisted.  Moving to Orthodox in that area was easy because the Baptist Church I came from was deeply into hugging and kissing cheeks.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2010, 06:38:52 PM »

Remember the Church Lady and the Catholic school skits? Not the first time they ventured into such territory. Sometimes satire is an important teaching tool, most of the time it is pointless and juvenile. This goes into the pointless and juvenile category.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 06:40:34 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2010, 06:46:14 PM »

There is no merit if it isn't false.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 06:46:54 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2010, 07:25:23 PM »

Nah, come on. Nothing to be so offended about.
You haven't seen what treatment the clergy gets in Orthodox countries. And it's a lot funnier , as well.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2010, 07:27:04 PM »

You can try, But I think Christ advised against it:
"Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces." Matthew 7:6
My own experience with people bears this out. If someone has a deranged idea in their head which causes them to hate you, nothing you say will make any difference. If they are going to trample on people (especially people who are already being trampled on), then all you can do is stay faithful to the truth yourself.

arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2010, 09:15:26 PM »

The kissing family is a reoccurring bit on SNL, last night's episode was the first reference to them being Orthodox. Don't get me wrong, I find the sketch off putting every time they do it. I don't think there were mocking Orthodoxy but at the same time I question the Hollywood portrayal of Orthodoxy.

If anything I see this as a good argument for the use of traditional dress for our clergy. At no time did they say Orthodox or tell us that he is an Orthodox priest but we are all assuming that he is based on his garb. There is a reason they dressed him up the way they did and that is because it is stereotypical and some stereotypes are good.

Joseph
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2010, 11:28:59 PM »

"Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces." Matthew 7:6

I said bring them the good news, not lecture them about the perichoresis of the Trinity.

f.k.a. Matron.a
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2010, 11:48:12 PM »

The kissing family is a reoccurring bit on SNL, last night's episode was the first reference to them being Orthodox. Don't get me wrong, I find the sketch off putting every time they do it. I don't think there were mocking Orthodoxy but at the same time I question the Hollywood portrayal of Orthodoxy.

If anything I see this as a good argument for the use of traditional dress for our clergy. At no time did they say Orthodox or tell us that he is an Orthodox priest but we are all assuming that he is based on his garb. There is a reason they dressed him up the way they did and that...
...most likely had something to do with the fact that the guest host (Zach Galifianakis) is Greek.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2010, 12:29:32 AM »

Hey...why is anyone watching SNL during Lent, anyway!?!

Wink

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2010, 01:02:46 AM »

It wasn't all that bad (or funny), and certainly not worth anybody's time to make a huge fuss over.  The more fuss that you make, the more exposure it gets, when in reality if you just ignored it, the skit would blur into oblivion with the thousands of others routines the show has done over several decades.
Super Apostolic Bros.
Is St. Andrew Luigi to St. Peter's Mario?

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2010, 01:17:45 AM »

No way any Orthodox would have such a drab funeral  Tongue

Besides, such a lame skit is not gonna have anyone making widespread fun of the Orthodox.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2010, 01:32:08 AM »

Wink

LOL!  Good one, sister.  Not to put too fine a point on it, but who watches Saturday Night Lame period?!  Wink

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2010, 01:37:19 AM »

It wasn't all that bad (or funny),

Besides, such a lame skit is not gonna have anyone making widespread fun of the Orthodox.

It probably would have been funnier if SNL hadn't done pretty much the same skit at least once a season.  Only the specific ethnic heritages change.

"Bellisimaaaa!"

Good sketch shows know when to quit.  Like Monty Python, SCTV, or Kids in the Hall.

Wink

Or at all, for that matter. Cheesy   (Whoops, Gabriel beat me to it.)

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2010, 04:54:21 AM »

I said bring them the good news, not lecture them about the perichoresis of the Trinity.
Is a lecture about the perichoresis of the Trinity holy, but the Good News unholy or profane?

Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2010, 10:55:34 AM »

I watched the show on Saturday. If you look closely at the video you will notice Zach was kissing on alternating cheeks "if that's any consolation" and not in the mouth like the other actors. I also have to admit that as I become older I find that open mouth kisses are very discussing. "All those germs" Yuk. The hair on my back and arms was standing up while watching the show cringing. I started watching SNL when Tina Fey, anther Greek decided the outcome of the presidential elections. Who says us Greeks aren't in control of the world any more. Wink MUHUHUHUHU.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 10:57:23 AM by Demetrios G. » Logged

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2010, 11:45:37 AM »

And the audience laughs at the priest when he walks into the room, before he's even done anything.

Probably nervous laughter. I mean, an Orthodox priest can be a bizarre sight to see if you're not used to it, with the hat and everything.

I once heard an interview with Metropolitan Philip who said they look like space aliens, but I don't go that far. Wink
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 11:46:43 AM by bogdan » Logged
Tags: television 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: