OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 06:44:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting Declarations of Faith  (Read 864 times) Average Rating: 0
LostInTheWorld

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

καταδίκη - an unshakable belief

GenPatBlog
« on: March 17, 2010, 08:16:50 PM »

At work today I saw a trucker with "Driving for the Glory of the Lord" on the side of his semi. I thought it was a bit much, but then I realized I didn't know all that much about what the Church says about such declarations. What is the Church's view on such things?

"Fate leads him who follows it, and drags him who resist." -Plutarch
franthonyc

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA Metropolis of Detroit

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 09:33:05 PM »

I'm entirely unaware of any specific Church teaching on the subject.

However, in the opinion (mere opinion) of this priest, it is, indeed, a bit much.

That could well be just a matter of taste. But whether it is or not, I don't care for it.

Smiley

Τῷ μεγάλῳ χρίεται μύρῳ καὶ χειρονεῖται βασιλεὺς καὶ αὐτοκράτωρ τῶν Ῥωμαίων, πάντων δηλαδὴ τῶν χριστιανῶν...οὐδὲν οὖν ἔνι καλὸν, υἱέ μου, ἵνα λέγῃς, ὅτι ἐκκλησίαν ἔχομεν, οὐχὶ βασιλέα, οὐκ ἔνι δυνατὸν εἰς τοὺς χριστιανοὺς, ἔκκλησίαν ἔχειν καὶ βασιλέα οὐκ ἔχειν. – EP Anthony to Basil of Moscow c. 1395
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 10:19:27 PM »

I'm entirely unaware of any specific Church teaching on the subject.

However, in the opinion (mere opinion) of this priest, it is, indeed, a bit much.

That could well be just a matter of taste. But whether it is or not, I don't care for it.

Smiley

Shouldn't we do everything for the glory of the Lord?

I think St. Theofan is the one I read who said to Cross yourself with the name of the Most Holy Trinity and say "Bless, O Lord!"  If hesitate to do so because it is inappropriate (like stealing, for instance), don't do what you were thinking of doing.

At my work (well I was gonna work for the YMC- yes we got'em here in Canuck Land but now I work at my local food department store) people tend to say f*^%$# idiot and tend to say that wors before practically any other word. At first I was really shocked and dismayed but a year and a half later, my ears have shamefully grown accustomed to hearing it like it was hi there and how do you do...
It's a challenge, isn't it? Maintaining Christian behaviour, decorum and dignity when we work with colleagues who don't share our values; and who don't seem to share the values of polite society in general. Good manners and respect cost nothing, but they're priceless. I know someone who swears and uses insulting and abusive language in all social circumstances, and yet wonders why he can't find a girlfriend.....

some guy swore, so his friend said in a half-joking manner: "ella rai, theres eikones on the wall, have some respect!" (There are holy icons on the walls...) So the icons really do have an (positive) affect on the way people act. Somewhat of a tangent but I thought I'd share.
Actually, that's not really a tangent. If you go to the older villages in Greece and visit the local cafe or taverna, you will often see the Icon of the Eye of God painted on the wall near the tables with the words "OLA TA VLEPI O THEOS" ("God Sees All"), and the purpose is to remind the patrons that blasphemy, swearing and cursing will not be accepted.
Gerontissa Gavrillia of blessed memory used to say: "Always behave as though Christ were standing in front of you, because He is!"
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 10:23:50 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
franthonyc

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA Metropolis of Detroit

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 11:25:57 PM »

I think St. Theofan is the one I read who said to Cross yourself with the name of the Most Holy Trinity and say "Bless, O Lord!"  If hesitate to do so because it is inappropriate (like stealing, for instance), don't do what you were thinking of doing.

Obviously. If I had to defend my opinion...I'd have to say better to DO everything for the glory of the Lord than talk about so doing, particularly since mere talk can take the place of actually doing.

Thus...by all means, drive to the glory of God. I'd simply prefer that you didn't announce to me that you are driving thusly in such an ostentatious manner.

But it's just my preference. To each his own, I suppose.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 11:28:21 PM by franthonyc » Logged

Τῷ μεγάλῳ χρίεται μύρῳ καὶ χειρονεῖται βασιλεὺς καὶ αὐτοκράτωρ τῶν Ῥωμαίων, πάντων δηλαδὴ τῶν χριστιανῶν...οὐδὲν οὖν ἔνι καλὸν, υἱέ μου, ἵνα λέγῃς, ὅτι ἐκκλησίαν ἔχομεν, οὐχὶ βασιλέα, οὐκ ἔνι δυνατὸν εἰς τοὺς χριστιανοὺς, ἔκκλησίαν ἔχειν καὶ βασιλέα οὐκ ἔχειν. – EP Anthony to Basil of Moscow c. 1395
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 12:17:05 AM »

I have been thinking about this, and I believe we tend to facilitate a false dichotomy between profession and action. What we confess and profess is essential to our Christian Faith, as much as what we do. Orthodoxy is a Faith of creeds, and the Divine Liturgy is the vocal profession of our Christian beliefs. And, of course, our actions should always accompany our professions.

But Christians have always used symbols and signs as a way to encourage other Christians, to witness to the world, and to remind themselves to live a Christian life. After all, Orthodoxy is an iconic Faith. So, why begrudge those who display bumper stickers such as the one mentioned? Truck drivers have a tough job, and they face many temptations. Truck stops often attract prostitution and drugs. Christian truck drivers out on the road alone are extrememly vulnerable to satan's schemes, so I think it is encouraging that many of them display outward messages that speak to their faith.

When we see such things, I would think that we should pray for the individual displaying the message, and pray for ourselves, that we would live lives glorifying to Christ. Sometimes I can be guilty of being a cultural snob, mocking that which I view to be "kitsch." But if it helps the person displaying the message or encourages others in some way, then who am I to demean it?

That's my two cents, FWIW.

Selam
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 12:20:34 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 12:40:46 AM »

Obviously. If I had to defend my opinion...I'd have to say better to DO everything for the glory of the Lord than talk about so doing, particularly since mere talk can take the place of actually doing.

Thus...by all means, drive to the glory of God. I'd simply prefer that you didn't announce to me that you are driving thusly in such an ostentatious manner.

In sane world, I would agree 100%. But we do not live in a sane world, but a world where stating you are doing anything for the Lord can and often does expose you to ridicule.

But myself, I would prefer a "I'm a fool for Christ. Whose fool are you?" or some other bumper sticker.

A bumper sticker "WARNING: trunk driverless during rapture" would be plain dumb.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 12:46:13 AM »

In sane world, I would agree 100%. But we do not live in a sane world, but a world where stating you are doing anything for the Lord can and often does expose you to ridicule.

But myself, I would prefer a "I'm a fool for Christ. Whose fool are you?" or some other bumper sticker.

A bumper sticker "WARNING: trunk driverless during rapture" would be plain dumb.

I love that brother!: "I'm a fool for Christ. Whose fool are you?" Grin

Another thing to consider is that the world inundates us with their evil messages and influences, so I find it encouraging to see open displays of Christian Faith- as long as the theolgoy behind it is correct.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 01:58:19 AM »

One I've seen that I don't particularly like because it boasts about the person without really pointing one's mind to Christ:  "I'm the man the devil warned you about."
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: