OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 31, 2014, 06:39:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Incensing the Church  (Read 2944 times) Average Rating: 0
Mickey
OC.net guru

Faith: Holy Orthodoxy

« on: March 04, 2010, 03:33:38 PM »

In the Church I now attend, when the priest censes the Church, the people follow his every move. As he walks past them to cense the Icons at the back of the Church, they follow him so that their backs are to the Altar.  Then as he approaches again, they slowly turn as he walks past until they are facing front again.  I have never experienced this before in an Orthodox Church. Is this proper ettiquette?
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 03:37:46 PM »

My church does this, and I'm pretty sure I've seen this in all of the churches I've been in (OCA, ROCOR, Greek, and Antiochian).

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 03:43:11 PM »

This is what I learned to do when I first started attending Divine Liturgy as a Catholic and still do as an Orthodox Christian.  Most of the people in my parish, but a few do, so I don't stick out so much.

Well, not anymore than my 6'5" frame usually does. Wink

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 04:58:19 PM »

In the Church I now attend, when the priest censes the Church, the people follow his every move. As he walks past them to cense the Icons at the back of the Church, they follow him so that their backs are to the Altar.  Then as he approaches again, they slowly turn as he walks past until they are facing front again.  I have never experienced this before in an Orthodox Church. Is this proper ettiquette?
I think it is just bouncing ball syndrome. People's attention is drawn to movement.

Joseph
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 05:38:37 PM »

In the Church I now attend, when the priest censes the Church, the people follow his every move. As he walks past them to cense the Icons at the back of the Church, they follow him so that their backs are to the Altar.  Then as he approaches again, they slowly turn as he walks past until they are facing front again.  I have never experienced this before in an Orthodox Church. Is this proper ettiquette?
Don't quote me as an expert on this, but my impression is that our attention should always be focused on the altar and that such close following of the censer is therefore not proper.  There comes a moment during the censing of the church that the priest/deacon will cense the faithful from in front of the royal doors/beautiful gate/whatever the front doors to the sanctuary are called.  Here it is appropriate to face the censer and bow.  Otherwise, when the priest/deacon is censing the icons and the Scriptures, the people should keep facing forward to the altar.  At least this is how I was taught.

I have been in churches, usually those with pews, where the priest/deacon will cense the faithful as he processes up/down the main aisle or a side aisle, in which case the people would need to turn and face the aisle to formally acknowledge the censer with a bow, but such has never required that the faithful actually turn their backs toward the altar.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 05:41:22 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 05:43:59 PM »

I would also note that when I venerated the relics of St. John Chrysostom at the ROCOR cathedral in NYC, the entire congregation followed the swinger of the bouncing thurible, as it were, when the deacons were censing the church at Vigil.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 05:57:35 PM »

In the Church I now attend, when the priest censes the Church, the people follow his every move. As he walks past them to cense the Icons at the back of the Church, they follow him so that their backs are to the Altar.  Then as he approaches again, they slowly turn as he walks past until they are facing front again.  I have never experienced this before in an Orthodox Church. Is this proper ettiquette?
Don't quote me as an expert on this, but my impression is that our attention should always be focused on the altar and that such close following of the censer is therefore not proper.  There comes a moment during the censing of the church that the priest/deacon will cense the faithful from in front of the royal doors/beautiful gate/whatever the front doors to the sanctuary are called.  Here it is appropriate to face the censer and bow.  Otherwise, when the priest/deacon is censing the icons and the Scriptures, the people should keep facing forward to the altar.  At least this is how I was taught.

I have been in churches, usually those with pews, where the priest/deacon will cense the faithful as he processes up/down the main aisle or a side aisle, in which case the people would need to turn and face the aisle to formally acknowledge the censer with a bow, but such has never required that the faithful actually turn their backs toward the altar.

That's what we were taught as well.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 06:24:47 PM »

I see this ALL the time.  It's not that folks are purposefully disrespectful, I think they just do not realize that they are actually turning their back to the Altar.

I feel very awkward when I refuse to turn backwards, and end up being one of the remaining few facing forward...with everyone in front of me facing ME.  You know? I don't know where to look.  Instead of seeing their backs, all of a sudden I see all their faces..and I self consciously end up looking at the floor or my hands.

This happens not only during censing, but, anytime anything happens towards the back of the church.

During the blessing of the water on Theophany most everyone turns their back to the Altar to watch the water getting blessed in the back.

Just last week during the Pan-Orthodox Vespers on Sunday of Orthodoxy, everyone turned their backs again, as the priests made their way with icons around the sanctuary.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 06:40:19 PM »

Thank you for the information in this topic.  I've never thought that following the priest's movement turns our backs to the Altar.   It reminds me when we used to exit the church down the center isle, but a new presiding priest corrected this behavior, and has the faithful come down the center isle for antithoron or a blessing, and exiting down the side isles.  Though I'm not in the pews typically, I'll be more conscious of which direction I face.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Jake C
Catechumen

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Diocese of Wichita and Mid-America

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 07:42:22 PM »

The entire congregation follows the priest as he censes.

Blessed art Thou, O Lord, teach me Thy statutes.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 09:07:32 PM »

I think it is just bouncing ball syndrome. People's attention is drawn to movement.
Trust me.  The deacon isn't going to bonk you in the head with the censer, so you don't need to keep your eye on him.
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 09:13:33 PM »

Everyone follows the priest, but only turn towards the aisle, not all the way around with their backs to the altar.

People will turn their backs on the altar if the priest needs to bring the chalice to an elderly person in the back who cannot walk up to the front to commune. But in my estimation the chalice takes precedence over the altar.

In my experience, more people turn their backs to the altar in parishes without pews than parishes with them, since everyone needs to scramble out of the way and people go in every direction,
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 09:16:13 PM by bogdan » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 09:14:58 PM »

Everyone follows the priest, but only turn towards the aisle, not all the way around with their backs to the altar.

People will turn their backs on the altar if the priest needs to bring the chalice to an elderly person in the back who cannot walk up to the front to commune. But in my estimation the chalice takes precedence over the altar.
Good point.
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 09:45:21 PM »

Yup, everyone at my parish does this. Usually everyone also crowds into the centre of the church so the priest can walk past and cense the icons. Everyone keeps their heads bowed the whole time, too.

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 10:08:40 PM »

Yup, everyone at my parish does this. Usually everyone also crowds into the centre of the church so the priest can walk past and cense the icons. Everyone keeps their heads bowed the whole time, too.

Yup, that is very much the Slavic practice, from my long observation.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2010, 10:17:10 PM »

Usually everyone also crowds into the centre of the church so the priest can walk past and cense the icons.

Ah, the joys of no pews.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2010, 12:08:55 AM »

I have seen this done at GOA and OCA parishes, but we don't do that at my current parish (UOC). I don't remember if this was done at the Antiochian parish I visited. It's been a few years.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
samkim
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2010, 01:01:45 AM »

my church does it.

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
Mickey
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2010, 09:39:36 AM »

Thank you Peter.  This is also how I learned.  It does not feel right for me to turn my back to the Altar--my wife feels the same.  But being relatively new to Orthodoxy I was not sure.  I am going to talk to my priest about it after small compline /akathist this evening.
Mickey
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2010, 09:43:04 AM »

I see this ALL the time.  It's not that folks are purposefully disrespectful, I think they just do not realize that they are actually turning their back to the Altar.

I feel very awkward when I refuse to turn backwards, and end up being one of the remaining few facing forward...with everyone in front of me facing ME.  You know? I don't know where to look.  Instead of seeing their backs, all of a sudden I see all their faces..and I self consciously end up looking at the floor or my hands.

This happens not only during censing, but, anytime anything happens towards the back of the church.

During the blessing of the water on Theophany most everyone turns their back to the Altar to watch the water getting blessed in the back.

Just last week during the Pan-Orthodox Vespers on Sunday of Orthodoxy, everyone turned their backs again, as the priests made their way with icons around the sanctuary.

Hi Liza,

The exact same thing happens to me.  I refuse to turn my back to the Altar and since I sit near the back of the Church, everyone is facing me and it is uncomfortable.  I keep my eyes toward the ground.

Are there any priests here with information about this?
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2010, 01:06:50 PM »

The most important thing, regardless of the local practice, is that the faithful are there for the Liturgy or other services! Rejoice and be glad!
jydeacon
ΙΙδιακον

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Love the Lord your God with all your strength

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2010, 01:38:26 PM »

This is interesting, in the Coptic church that does not happen. The only time the congregation turn is during a procession. Other than that you will usually see them facing forward even while the priest is incensing.

ΙΙδιακον
Mickey
OC.net guru

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2010, 02:22:30 PM »

The most important thing, regardless of the local practice, is that the faithful are there for the Liturgy or other services! Rejoice and be glad!

Of course!

But is it proper to turn your back to the Altar during the censing?
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2010, 02:31:33 PM »

Of course!

But is it proper to turn your back to the Altar during the censing?
When I first started attending an Orthodox parish, I remained facing the altar during the censing. I was corrected by some of the parishioners, and so now I follow the priest (except of course when I'm serving and my movements are scripted). My priest explains that this practice is acceptable because humanity is the living icon of Christ, and so when the people follow the priest, they are facing Christ's icon. Other priests may say differently, and I have a feeling my priest simply wants to recognise piety without getting caught up in minutiae.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2010, 10:18:39 PM »

At theological school I was one of only a small few who did not turn to face the priest when he censed.  Most people do it in my parish.  I'd prefer they face forward, but I won't disparage them a pious practice which has little bearing (if any) on their salvation.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 10:19:15 PM by Fr. George » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Mickey
OC.net guru

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2010, 03:13:16 PM »

At theological school I was one of only a small few who did not turn to face the priest when he censed.  Most people do it in my parish.  I'd prefer they face forward, but I won't disparage them a pious practice which has little bearing (if any) on their salvation.
Amen. Thank you Father.
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2010, 11:20:36 PM »

In the Mystery of Baptism the rubrics expressly call for one to turn to the west and renounce the devil.   The priest turns his back to the altar to bless the people.   The people turn their back to the chalice after receiving communion (indeed, the mystery is within them).  The entire temple is sacred, so if within the temple you turn to acknowledge the mystical presence of God and his saints as the priest censes the icons, I am not sure that this is something that is "wrong."  You are not turning your back on God, you are turning your front to God in the icons and throughout the holy oikos as the priest is censing. 
Tags: incense 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: