OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 12:53:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's Gnosticism?  (Read 489 times) Average Rating: 0
Christianus
Elder

Faith: ¿esse an non esse Orthodoxus?

« on: March 05, 2010, 11:07:42 PM »

What's Gnosticism,  which I've heard mentioned a lot in my religious history books?
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 01:44:41 AM »

I's a lot of different things.  The Nag Hammadi codex contains many Gnostic writings, and St. Irenaeus wrote against them in his work ἔλεγχος και άνατροπή της ψευδωνύμου γνώσεως.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 02:01:28 AM »

A religious movement that began around the same time as Christianity, which tried to hijack Christianity in the first and second centuries.

Gnosticism believed that the world of matter was evil, that the God who created the world of matter was similarly evil, that there were several Aeons between the true God and the world of matter, who became more and more evil the closer they got to the world of matter.

The number of Aeons believed to exist all depended upon which sect of Gnosticism one belonged to.

The main link between these sects was that Divine knowledge (gnosis) could free man from the effects of the evil of matter and make him a more spiritual being.

Christ, in the more "Christian" of these sects, was seen as being sent to the world to free us from matter by giving us the saving gnosis.  Christ in this belief was considered to be a being of pure spirit who took on the appearance of flesh.

As previously noted, more information can be found in St Irenaeus, the more English title of his work being Against Heresies.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 02:02:40 AM by FormerReformer » Logged

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Tags: Gnosticism 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: