OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 06:04:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Assyrian Lent  (Read 808 times) Average Rating: 0
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« on: March 04, 2010, 03:01:51 AM »

I was wondering what names do the Sundays of Lent bear in the Assyrian tradition-East Syrian Rite, if any and if someone could also provide the Gospel readings for the same.
I am also interested if there are any special days set aside to commemorate the dead during Lent.
Another thing, is there any pre-lenten, transitional period?
What is the structure of the Holy Week?
Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 01:25:21 AM »

The Sowma Rabba (The Great Fast) is 49 days, the reason for 49 instead of 40 days is because during the 7 sundays the body of Christ is taken and there are 2 feast days. Days for celebrating the dead...Baouta d'Ninwayeh (Rogation of the Ninevites) is an incredibly important holiday for the Assyrians. It of course appeals to God to remember the Ninevites and their repentance (past and future), and has all members of the ACOE to do good deeds, fast, and pray. The Jacobites celebrate rogation of the Ninevites by the way. More proof that the ACOE was the mother Church of Antioch...

I am NOT a representative of the ACOE. Ignore my posts
Tags: Assyrian Lent Church of the East 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: