OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 24, 2014, 12:48:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ"  (Read 10667 times) Average Rating: 0
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #90 on: November 22, 2010, 02:28:21 PM »

You can find many opinions, what did you get from the viewing experience...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #91 on: November 23, 2010, 02:50:29 AM »

I don't know. ISTM the Gospels certainly don't whitewash the agony of Christ's Passion on the Cross, but they also don't make as much of the Passion as the hagiographic texts do of the saints, either. In the end, it seems that all the Gospel writers see the Passion in connection with and in the context of its fulfillment in the Resurrection. Christ IS risen! For the saints, however, this is a promise and a foretaste of their future resurrections, so we emphasize more how much they suffered for Christ that they might rise with Him on the Last Day.

So wait when we die, we don't exactly get judged then (either we go to Paradise or to a 'chasm of darkness?')? I know there is two judgments one after death and the final judgment, I guess I'm confused.
I meant my post to be understood as speaking to the subject of Mel Gibson's movie, The Passion of the Christ. I did not mean for it to be the focus of an off-topic meandering. Therefore, I have moved your question and the replies it has garnered to another location (http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,31501.0.html) where it can be the topic of its own thread. In the future, I advise you to start new threads if you want to ask off-topic questions rather than risk derailing existing threads. Thank you.

- PeterTheAleut
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 02:53:54 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #92 on: November 23, 2010, 03:29:08 AM »

I'm sure it was mentioned in the thread, but this movie taught me that Jesus invented sitting at the table.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #93 on: November 23, 2010, 04:07:16 AM »

I'm sure it was mentioned in the thread, but this movie taught me that Jesus invented sitting at the table.

Exactly haha

Sorry Peter

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags: The Passion 
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: