OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 08:19:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poland: Government open for "Free the Christmas" proposal  (Read 1239 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« on: March 03, 2010, 08:21:37 PM »

Two weeks ago Białystok's editorial office of Polish daily "Gazeta Wyborcza" has begun an action called "Free the Christmas".

It is to gather 100 000 signatures under a draft bill that could enable Orthodox believers who are celebrating Christmas at January 7th to have it free, juat like Catholic believers do at december 25th. Now Orthodox people may have Christams free but they have to work it off. The purpose of the action is to not having to work the Christmas off.

They have already gathered 1000 signatures. Now they already have 300 more thanks to job fair organised in Białystok. Those singatures have been given to Jerzy Miller - minister of Ministry of Internal Affairs. Junior minister Tomasz Siemionak says that the government is open for the debate.

The debate about this issue is already going on and the government is really open for discussing this issue. It is worth remembering that changes cannot be introduced by force and the Orthodox church approaches this issue quietly, it does not want to introduce any new restrictions or divisions. Now we have two opportunities: introducing additional holidays to the calendar without working off or relying on current informal solutions - Tomasz Siemionak said.

He added that opportunity to discuss this issue will occur in March, when another meeting of Holy Council of Bishops with government representatives will take place. "Gazeta wyborcza" hopes that the meeting will be fruitful. Until that time it expects more supporting votes for the action. On the daily's website there is a specimen of the list with the petition, you can also sign it at the seat of the daily's seat in Białystok at ul. Sienkiewicza 49, 5th floor.

source
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 08:42:28 PM »

Two weeks ago Białystok's editorial office of Polish daily "Gazeta Wyborcza" has begun an action called "Free the Christmas".

It is to gather 100 000 signatures under a draft bill that could enable Orthodox believers who are celebrating Christmas at January 7th to have it free, juat like Catholic believers do at december 25th. Now Orthodox people may have Christams free but they have to work it off. The purpose of the action is to not having to work the Christmas off.

They have already gathered 1000 signatures. Now they already have 300 more thanks to job fair organised in Białystok. Those singatures have been given to Jerzy Miller - minister of Ministry of Internal Affairs. Junior minister Tomasz Siemionak says that the government is open for the debate.

The debate about this issue is already going on and the government is really open for discussing this issue. It is worth remembering that changes cannot be introduced by force and the Orthodox church approaches this issue quietly, it does not want to introduce any new restrictions or divisions. Now we have two opportunities: introducing additional holidays to the calendar without working off or relying on current informal solutions - Tomasz Siemionak said.

He added that opportunity to discuss this issue will occur in March, when another meeting of Holy Council of Bishops with government representatives will take place. "Gazeta wyborcza" hopes that the meeting will be fruitful. Until that time it expects more supporting votes for the action. On the daily's website there is a specimen of the list with the petition, you can also sign it at the seat of the daily's seat in Białystok at ul. Sienkiewicza 49, 5th floor.

source

I'd phrase it "Chrsitmas Off" for Americans.  I don't know for the Brits, maybe "Chrsitmas Leave" maybe a British poster can fill us in.

"work the Christmas off."  You work off 10 pounds, not Christmas.  Work off means to remove.

Do Jews already get their holidays off in Poland? I ask for reason of comparison: it's done that way in the US.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 08:59:42 PM »

They can take a day off on folowing days:  Jewish New Year (two days), Yom Kippur, Sukkot (two days), Simchat Tora, Pesach (4 days), Shavuot (two days) and each Shabbat. If they announce it to their employer a fortnight before the feast (of course with the exception of Shabbat) the employer must agree and must find the way for them to reward it. The Orthodox have a similar solution.

I've forwarded the advice to the translator Smiley
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 09:00:45 PM by mike » Logged
mary84

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Polish

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 09:11:13 PM »

source

I'd phrase it "Chrsitmas Off" for Americans.  I don't know for the Brits, maybe "Chrsitmas Leave" maybe a British poster can fill us in.

"work the Christmas off."  You work off 10 pounds, not Christmas.  Work off means to remove.

OK so please find me a good equivalent for Polish word "odpracować"
 I've found that you can also "work off" a debt. so I think that when you do not go to work without taking a leave means that you take a kind of a loan and it is a debt you pay off. This is how Orthodox people in POland manage to celebrate Christmas in Julian calendar.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 09:16:33 PM by mary84 » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 09:42:17 PM »

source

I'd phrase it "Chrsitmas Off" for Americans.  I don't know for the Brits, maybe "Chrsitmas Leave" maybe a British poster can fill us in.

"work the Christmas off."  You work off 10 pounds, not Christmas.  Work off means to remove.

I've found that you can also "work off" a debt. so I think that when you do not go to work without taking a leave means that you take a kind of a loan and it is a debt you pay off. This is how Orthodox people in POland manage to celebrate Christmas in Julian calendar.
"take off" as in "I'm taking January 7th [off] for Christmas." If you leave "off" out, it implies you get a day off for Christmas, which you are taking on the 7th of January, December 25th or whenever: I've worked in a hospital, where holidays didn't always come according to the calendar.

yes, you can work off a loan. In the US you don't take leave, you take time off.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 09:44:26 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 11:07:43 PM »

For Jan 7th, I have to use a vacation day, but its so worth it.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
mary84

Jurisdiction: Polish

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 06:35:27 PM »

OK, we can "take off" a day at Jan 7th. Even there is no obligation to take a sick leave, but we have to stay longer another time or come at Saturday. This means the debt I meant, we have to "pay it off", that is why I used "work off"
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 06:37:37 PM by mary84 » Logged
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 01:41:36 PM »

Mary Wrote:

It means taking "off" from "work."
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 05:26:55 PM »

OK, we can "take off" a day at Jan 7th. Even there is no obligation to take a sick leave, but we have to stay longer another time or come at Saturday. This means the debt I meant, we have to "pay it off", that is why I used "work off"

Hi Mary--Welcome to the forum! I understood exactly what you meant; don't pay too much attention to the language police. Cheesy

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 05:29:49 PM »

For Jan 7th, I have to use a vacation day, but its so worth it.

I had to use vacation days during this year's Holy Week as well. Thanks God, our Church is on the Revised Julian so that I don't have to take leave for Nativity and actually celebrate it on the date specified in the Church calendar--December 25th. angel
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 05:30:07 PM by Second Chance » Logged

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Tags: Poland Polish Polish Orthodox Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: