OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 09:39:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Time for a new calendar or back to the old?  (Read 1551 times) Average Rating: 0
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« on: March 02, 2010, 06:25:14 PM »

At this rate we should be back to the julian calendar in 4000 thousand years or so. What do you all say?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20100302/sc_space/chileearthquakemayhaveshorteneddaysonearth

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 07:34:32 PM »

At this rate we should be back to the julian calendar in 4000 thousand years or so. What do you all say?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20100302/sc_space/chileearthquakemayhaveshorteneddaysonearth
Somehow, I would never quite have thought of putting that kind of spin on this story.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 09:29:10 AM »

Perhaps someone will post when that happens. LOL
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 11:10:45 AM »

I was just noticing how Pascha this year comes on the date is should, the real Sunday after the real Paschal full moon (the one we see in the sky) after the real Equinox (when the real day is equal to the real night).  But the Paschal full moon is too early according to the Julian calendar, so why aren't we having Pascha next month?

Just curious: I prefer when we celebrate Pascha on terra firma with the astronomical equinox and the celestial satellite of said terra firma.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 12:46:15 PM »

Somehow, I would never quite have thought of putting that kind of spin on this story.

Grin
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 01:31:19 PM »

I was just noticing how Pascha this year comes on the date is should, the real Sunday after the real Paschal full moon (the one we see in the sky) after the real Equinox (when the real day is equal to the real night).  But the Paschal full moon is too early according to the Julian calendar, so why aren't we having Pascha next month?

Just curious: I prefer when we celebrate Pascha on terra firma with the astronomical equinox and the celestial satellite of said terra firma.
I think what you'll find is that the date of Pascha is determined from arithmetic (?) tables rather than strict astronomical observances. Full moons and other such things actually happen on two dates on planet Earth. For example, here at my home (EST) I have just finished lunch on Wednesday. Our friends in New Zealand are getting out of bed on Thursday morning. So what day is it now?

So you see, the full moon may be early where you live, but very much on time somewhere else in the world.
monkvasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 02:12:15 PM »

Well, our church is on the old Julian calendar already.  But, if you want to get back to me in 4,000 years, I'll be happy to discuss this with you.   Grin

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 02:32:38 PM »

I think what you'll find is that the date of Pascha is determined from arithmetic (?) tables rather than strict astronomical observances. Full moons and other such things actually happen on two dates on planet Earth. For example, here at my home (EST) I have just finished lunch on Wednesday. Our friends in New Zealand are getting out of bed on Thursday morning. So what day is it now?

So you see, the full moon may be early where you live, but very much on time somewhere else in the world.

Yes, I'm aware of that.  Not that it would make a difference this year, which is nice. That is, according to the calendar as reformed by Milankuvic.  I don't understand how the Julian calendar got the right date this year, unless its computation is farther off then I hereto suspected.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 02:37:03 PM »

Sorry I was a little premature as it seems to have shifted back into place.http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/03/03/taiwan.quake/index.html
I'm certain that heathens aren't safe from whatever Pat Robertson says causes earthquakes though. Grin

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 02:57:56 PM »

Sorry I was a little premature as it seems to have shifted back into place.http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/03/03/taiwan.quake/index.html
Nah, Taiwan is much closer to the equator than the epicenter of the Chilean earthquake, and the Taiwanese earthquake was much weaker.  What we would need to get the earth back in place is another monster quake in Alaska, such as they often get there.  (The strongest earthquake ever recorded may have been in Chile, but the second strongest was in Alaska.)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 02:58:51 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 03:03:52 PM »

I hope that's not a prediction Peter.  laugh

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 04:39:08 PM »

I hope that's not a prediction Peter.  laugh
Earthquakes are just as much a way of life for Alaskans as they are for Chileans.  For instance, since 1899, Alaska got hit by eight earthquakes of magnitude 8.0 or greater, to include the 9.2 monster in 1964 that registered as the second strongest ever recorded anywhere in the world.  (source:  http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/states/alaska/history.php)  The same web page also states that Alaska gets more earthquakes per year than the other 49 U.S. states combined, which is saying something when you consider how many earthquakes California gets.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 04:47:28 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: