OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 06:07:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: please explain the chrismation process  (Read 1856 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Denver

« on: March 02, 2010, 12:22:20 AM »

Hello, all.  I have become a catechumen.  my priest plans to chrismate me on Lazarus saturday of this month.  I am very excited!  and I thought that my godfather would get me a cross as in the cases I have read of, but instead a woman is giving me a cross that she has just had around the house but never taken out of the package.  you can view it here: http://www.militaryjewelry.us/christian-military-pendants/greek-orthodox-cross.html   it's simple, but it's just what I want.  I am excited and happy that I am almost a part of the Orthodox church.  but I have just realized that I am nervose for the actual chrismation ceremony.  what will I do?  what will my priest do?  if I could have some step-by-step directions on what a chrismation ceremony is like, I will be very grateful. 

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 12:36:33 AM »

Hello, all.  I have become a catechumen.  my priest plans to chrismate me on Lazarus saturday of this month.  I am very excited!  and I thought that my godfather would get me a cross as in the cases I have read of, but instead a woman is giving me a cross that she has just had around the house but never taken out of the package.  you can view it here: http://www.militaryjewelry.us/christian-military-pendants/greek-orthodox-cross.html   it's simple, but it's just what I want.  I am excited and happy that I am almost a part of the Orthodox church.  but I have just realized that I am nervose for the actual chrismation ceremony.  what will I do?  what will my priest do?  if I could have some step-by-step directions on what a chrismation ceremony is like, I will be very grateful. 

You mean they haven't told you about getting naked on the Church roof and covered in tin foil? LOL.

You can see the service here:
http://books.google.com/books?id=hVIXAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA464&dq=Hapwood+anointment+with+the+holy+chrism&cd=1#v=onepage&q=&f=false

For practical matters, you just need to know you will be bare foot and will have your shrit unbottoned a bit since you are male.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 12:39:19 AM »

that's just what I wanted!  thanks so much!

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 12:55:39 AM »

OK, one more question.  at chrismation will I have to do anything except stand there?  will I prostrate, kneel, etc?

bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 01:17:09 AM »

OK, one more question.  at chrismation will I have to do anything except stand there?  will I prostrate, kneel, etc?

Depending on the tradition and the configuration of your parish, the ceremony may begin in the narthex and work your way to the front (other traditions, and if the parish isn't laid out optimally, may do it all in the front).

You do have to kneel in front of the altar, when the priest says, "Bow down and worship him."

There is also a part where you "blow and spit" on the devil, which is exciting. Cheesy

Here is the full service for the Greek Archdiocese: http://www.goarch.org/chapel/liturgical_texts/baptism (ignore the baptism section if you are just being chrismated).  Being in the OCA your mileage may vary, but it's the same general thing.

[edit] I just realized the "Making of a Catechumen" is split from the baptism on the GOARCH website.

http://www.goarch.org/chapel/liturgical_texts/catechumen

I am unsure what events will happen at the Chrismation and which events will happen at the "making of a catechumen" service. In the Antiochian Archdiocese they are rolled into one according to the service book and in my own experience. Not sure what the OCA does.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 01:25:05 AM by bogdan » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 01:23:14 AM »

OK, one more question.  at chrismation will I have to do anything except stand there? 

LOL.  You're going to have to confess the Orthodox Faith.
will I prostrate, kneel, etc?
After reading the Hapgood (which will cover the Russian/OCA usage) and the GOA version (covering the Greek: in between covering the Antiochian) you might ask the priest to go over the text he is going to use about rubrics (location, kneeling etc.).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Paisius
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Multi-Jurisdictional

Reframed

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 12:21:56 AM »

that's just what I wanted!  thanks so much!

One more thing. My wife wanted me to tell you to make sure to remember to breathe.  Wink

Yours in Christ
Joe

"Is it really true that political self-interest is nobler somehow than economic self-interest?" - Milton Friedman
Tags: chrism Chrismation 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: