OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 04:48:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please explain the meaning...  (Read 970 times)
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« on: March 01, 2010, 11:23:43 AM »

1 Cor. 15:47:

ὁ πρῶτος ἄνθρωπος ἐκ γῆς χοϊκός, ὁ δεύτερος ἄνθρωπος ὁ Κύριος ἐξ οὐρανοῦ.

What exactly does this χοϊκός mean? What is its origin, root? And how is it to be pronoinced ("kheekos" or "khoikos")?

Thanks!

Love never fails.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 02:58:35 PM »

χοϊκός = dust.  Pronounced as koeKOS.

Modern Greek word for dust is σκόνη (SKOnee).  The base stem, KO, survives like the word, ecology.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 03:05:35 PM »

χοϊκός is a nice little Hellenistic adjective, meaning "made of earth" or "earthy" or "from dust," only appearing in the NT as far as I can recall. In fact, I think it is a unique Pauline word and may only appear in 1 Corinthians, in which St. Paul consistently uses it as an antonym to that which is heavenly.

Such is the case with the verse you quoted, which says: The first human was made of dust from the earth, the second human, the Lord, from heaven.

However, I'm pretty sure the critical text does not include ὁ Κύριος. The point is that Adam was earthy in origin while Christ was heavenly.

FYI, the much more commonly used cousins of χοϊκός are χῶμα (noun) and χόω (verb). χῶμα is used in the LXX in a similar phrase, e.g. Exodus 8.16 (the dust of the earth), and it is also used elsewhere in the LXX as the word for a garbage mound, or even a mound of dirt erected around a city.

As for pronunciation: Ho-i-kos. The diaeresis over the iota means it is its own syllable, not a diphthong.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 04:20:19 PM »

Sol, Pensateomnia, - thank you!

Love never fails.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 05:09:16 PM »

As pensateomnia illustrated, there exist a few Modern Greek words which are derived from what Paul used.  One such example is: χόνω (verb), pronounced Ho-No - to bury (in the earth).

I apologize for my error with the mistaken dipthong.   angel
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: