OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 12:31:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the "Italo-Greek Orthodox" Church?  (Read 4315 times) Average Rating: 0
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« on: February 28, 2010, 05:19:23 PM »

Who are these people?  Do they belong to a canonical jurisdiction?  Who constitutes the majority of their flock, Greeks or Italians?  I might be interested in connecting myself to them if they are legitimate.

http://www.igoarch.org/

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 05:29:00 PM »

During the period from 1982 until 1997, the Italo-Greek Orthodox community in the Americas was kept together by a faithful group of adherents which included Subdeacon Stephen Enea, who served as the administrator of the Church for a portion of the time. Between the years 1985 and 1995, numerous attempts were made to bring the community back into normalized relations with the other local Orthodox Churches including the Church of Constantinople, the Mother Church of the Italo-Greeks. The community petitioned Constantinople many times between 1985 and 1997 and received only one answer. A bishop from another Orthodox jurisdiction was appointed by the Patriarch of Constantinople to review the case in 1995 and assurances were subsequently made that the community would once again be a part of the Ecumenical Patriarchate, but nothing ever came of it.

In 1997, the Italo-Greeks once again looked to Greece for assistance, having been turned away by both Constantinople and Jerusalem, and found it in the Old Calendar Synod of Archbishop Timotheos (Athanassiou). Contact was made with the Archbishop in late 1995 and a relationship developed between the Archbishop and Subdeacon Stephen. In the fall of 1996, a petition was submitted to Archbishop Timotheos and his Synod requesting the ordination of Subdeacon Stephen to the holy diaconate and priesthood to serve the Italo-Greek Orthodox communities both in the United States and Sicily. Subdeacon Stephen was subsequently ordained a deacon on Saturday, February 23/March 8, 1997 and a priest on Forgiveness Sunday, February 24/March 9, 1997 in the Church of St. John the Russian in Mellission, Greece.

As per the agreement made between the two Churches, Archbishop Timotheos was elected Locum Tenens of the Italo-Greek Orthodox Church, a position he held from 1997 until the consecration of Archimandrite Stephen as ruling bishop of the Italo-Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of the Americas and Canada.

On September 6/19, 2004, Archimandrite Stephen was consecrated bishop in Athens, Greece in the Archiepiscopal Chapel of St. John Chrysostom by Archbishop Timotheos, Metropolitan Germanos, Bishop Pavlos and Bishop Leonidis of the Holy Orthodox Church of Hellas and the Diaspora and given the title “Bishop of Utica” and “Metropolitan of the Americas and Canada of the Italo-Greeks.” He was also named Locum Tenens of the Archiepiscopal See of Siracusa, Sicily. In December, 2005, Metropolitan Stephen was elected Archbishop of Siracusa and All Sicily and Southern Italy and Primate of the Italo-Greek Orthodox Church by an All-Church Council of the Italo-Greek Orthodox Church held in Utica, NY, a decision which was affirmed by the Holy Synod of Bishops of the Orthodox Church of Hellas and the Diaspora, with which the Italo-Greek Orthodox Church maintains communion.

source

Stay away from them.
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 05:35:17 PM »

Thanks for the advice.  I'm going to be sure and stick with the good old GOAA as opposed to these guys. 

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 11:40:23 PM »

I wonder why Constantinople turned them down.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Super Apostolic Bros.
Is St. Andrew Luigi to St. Peter's Mario?

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 12:39:13 AM »

So.... they're Old Calendarists?
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 01:57:17 AM »

So.... they're Old Calendarists?

Not exactly--they are on the Old Calendar but are not Old CalendarIST as in contrast to the GOC of Greece.  Arch. Stephen's ordaining bishop (Timotheos Athanasiou) ultimately has his hands-on-head apostolic succession through the Living Church and Ofiesh.  Timotheos's ordaining bishop was Joachim Souris, who went to Greece in the 1960's I believe and proclaimed himself head of the Old Calendarist Church...naturally we Old Calendarists do not accept this interloping as we already had a Church in Greece and Souris was ordained by people that were not Old Calendarist by any stretch of the imagination.

That being said, Arch. Stephen is a kind man and for what it's worth he is upfront about his status and why he is where he is. He's not like some of these people who try and pretend they are accepted into communion by SCOBA and "prove" this by posting photos of themselves with various SCOBA bishops, and who ordain anyone that walks in off the street, etc. One may disagree with with him about some of his positions (he and I have had several friendly exchanges on matters ecclesiological), but he's not trying to pretend to be a recognized SCOBA hierarch or trick anyone.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 02:16:35 AM by Fr. Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 04:38:20 AM »

What are these "old calendarists" I keep hearing about which everybody in this forum are afraid of?

I am NOT a representative of the ACOE. Ignore my posts
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 04:07:56 PM »

He's not like some of these people who try and pretend they are accepted into communion by SCOBA and "prove" this by posting photos of themselves with various SCOBA bishops, and who ordain anyone that walks in off the street, etc.

Could you give some examples?
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 04:15:48 PM »

He's not like some of these people who try and pretend they are accepted into communion by SCOBA and "prove" this by posting photos of themselves with various SCOBA bishops, and who ordain anyone that walks in off the street, etc.

Could you give some examples?

I can provide you with many: http://www.ind-movement.org/people.html

Many of those people claim to be Orthodox, although most try to appear Roman Catholic. There is one picture somewhere, I don't know if it's on that site or another, where a vagante pseudo-bishop is claiming he is having a meeting or something with Bp Antoun and Metropolitan Philip, and this is implied to indicate that he is accepted as a bishop by them. In the photo, they are kind of looking off to the side and it looks like he just shuffled over to them really quickly and had his friend snap a pic quickly! It was so bizarre.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 04:17:26 PM by Fr. Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 07:27:09 PM »

What are these "old calendarists" I keep hearing about which everybody in this forum are afraid of?

Since Fr. Anastasios is one of them, I doubt he's afraid of them.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 07:42:01 PM »

Since Fr. Anastasios is one of them, I doubt he's afraid of them.

I don't know man, sometimes I scare myself... Wink

Please Buy My Book!

Tags: Old Calendarists 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: