OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 05:48:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Picture of Fr. Arseny?  (Read 4888 times) Average Rating: 0
Raouf

« on: July 15, 2004, 02:31:37 PM »

Sorry...I wasn't sure where to post this.

Is anyone aware of any photos of Fr. Arseny (the Fr. Arseny from the two recent books)? If not, any reason why there wouldn't be any given all the people who contributed from their memoirs of him?

In Christ,
Raouf

Flog your enemies with the Name of Jesus and let the remembrance of Jesus be present with each breath. - St. John Climacus
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 12:35:25 AM »

Is anyone aware of any photos of Fr. Arseny (the Fr. Arseny from the two recent books)? If not, any reason why there wouldn't be any given all the people who contributed from their memoirs of him?

Because my understanding is that Fr. Arseny was not real. I have heard that there is absoulutely no physical proof of his existence and it a Russian religous fairy tale.

And the lack of any physical prrof or documents is easily explained away by believers since it happened during the Soviet persecution of the Church.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 02:11:10 AM »

Thanks as usual for your insightful input, Tom.
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 09:27:26 AM »

Thanks as usual for your insightful input, Tom.    

Do I detect a bit of sarcasm in your post? But the problem is that I don't KNOW if you are being sarcastic or not,

--

So if you ARE being sarcastic, , this is my response:

Bite me. He asked a question and I gave him an answer. You don't like it, tough.

When you hit puberty maybe you will begin to understand life.

Angry

---

But, If you are being SERIOUS and are really thanking me for my insight, then this is my response:

Thank you. I'm glad I can be of help.

Smiley
« Last Edit: July 16, 2004, 12:27:40 PM by Tom+ú » Logged
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 10:46:01 AM »

What's with your reply there Tom?
Raouf

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2004, 01:16:18 PM »

Dear Tom,

I actually wondered the same thing.  Is this just your opinion or have you read some additional documentation.  Are there any articles or such on the net you can point me to?

In Christ,
Raouf

Flog your enemies with the Name of Jesus and let the remembrance of Jesus be present with each breath. - St. John Climacus
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2004, 01:41:46 PM »

Dear Tom,

I actually wondered the same thing.  Is this just your opinion or have you read some additional documentation.  Are there any articles or such on the net you can point me to?

In Christ,
Raouf

I can't recall where I first read about it. However, TonyS on this board has also heard the same.

A quick search of the internet did not turn up anything concerning it being fiction.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2004, 02:01:20 PM by Tom+ú » Logged
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2004, 05:40:08 PM »

When the book has been recommended to me people have said that Fr. Arseny is a complilation of several different people. Part of the recommendation is that the book isn't a true story but a story of truth, much like the "Way of the Pilgrim."

Joseph
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2004, 09:25:42 PM »

Yeah. That's the way I understood it also.
4Truth

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2004, 09:25:42 PM »

If I remember correctly (and I don't want to limp upstairs to find the book right now), the second book about Fr. Arseny, in the introduction, refutes the accusations of "fairy tale."  I did not find a link to a photograph, but here is a link to a photograph of his tombstone:

Link no longer current

« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 03:30:50 PM by ozgeorge » Logged
donna

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Christian

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 09:51:05 AM »

I have just found your site as I was in search of a photo of Fr. Arseny as well, after reading the book....  What a wonderful human being.  I feel blessed to know that such people did exist. (and some still do).... Such people help restore and enrich my faith.

For those who do not believe, no proof is enough...for those who do, no proof is necessary..

As for you Tom... I will pray for you...  :-)   
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 10:50:01 PM »

Here is the photo of his tomb in Rostov.

mhughes

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 11:09:18 PM »

That is not a picture of his tomb. It is a picture of a memorial stone, set up by the translator of the books about him.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 12:21:53 AM »

Welcome donna and mhughes!

That is not a picture of his tomb. It is a picture of a memorial stone, set up by the translator of the books about him.
There was some considerable debate about his actual existence on this forum. I guess we may never know for sure.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
TocMom
TocMom

Jurisdiction: Greek

St. Evpraxia - she chose me

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 12:03:42 AM »

Greetings in Christ,

While I know there are no known photos of Fr. Arseny, I DO believe he lived. Yes, I am a new Orthodox Christian; no, not a Russian Orthodox Christian - but a Greek Orthodox Christian. From having met Corrie Ten Boom, not an Orthodox Christian but a Stellar Christian, I know there are Christians who have survived "camps" and be able to forgive their captors/guards. So, YES! I DO believe Fr. Arseny existed as a live person, regardless of his actual birth name, regardless of lack of photos, regardless of the lack of knowledge of his grave site. The Underground Church had, and does to this day, operate in secret and cannot do the things we in the "free" world can do. I cannot judge the actions of someone from an Underground Church - I have never lived in those circumstances.

I CAN tell you the things that a child does to survive a dictatoral and abusive father, and the actions are not so different - you do what you can to survive, even if that means doing things that are incomprehensible to those in the "normal" world - such as a lack of a show of affection, not conforming to the "norms" of the day, such as flowers on a grave, etc.

In Christ,

TocMom

Soon-to-be Catechumen in the Orthodox Church
Tags: Fr. Arseny 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: