OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 05:36:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What am I to do?  (Read 1062 times) Average Rating: 0
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« on: February 24, 2010, 11:30:19 PM »

What am I to do if I feel drawn to the Oriental Orthodox faith, and believe that it is the only tradition that has purity in doctrinal continuity, but I do not feel drawn to any of the inherently foreign and ethnic churches that do not yet seem interested in catering to "Americans" (like some EO churches are now) and seem to be the sole OO presence in my area?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 11:37:51 PM »

Pray.  Undecided

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 12:19:03 AM »

The Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church will welcome you gladly my brother! His Majesty Haile Selassie sent Abuna Yesehaq to the West in order to teach us the true Faith. So you will be welcomed by our Church.

I rejoice to hear that you are coming close to embracing our Tewahedo Faith. My prayers are with you.

PM me if you fel like it.

Selam

"Don't register. Don't vote.
Don't enlist. Don't deploy.
Don't take oaths. Don't say the pledge.
Pray to God, and start a revolution instead!"
Selam, +GMK+
Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 01:01:05 AM »

The Ethiopan Tewahedo Church is Awesome....the Church blessed with the Holy Ark!!

I am NOT a representative of the ACOE. Ignore my posts
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 01:05:37 AM »

Just give it time.  You may come to like the ethnic expressions of the OO Churches in your area.  (We have the best food, after all.)  Or you may be able to overcome your reservations about Chalcedon and return to the EO.  I've already expressed my opinion that you are in good hands either way. 

Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 03:46:20 AM »

Pray that they would want to cater to Western Americans more and more.

Keep in contact with all of the priests.

Visit from time to time so that it is known that you are serious.

Many of us pray for you and with you.

I know the Coptic Orthodox Church has just opened two new English language only missions in the US. That doesn't help where you are, and it may never help, but there is a sea-change slowly taking place.

Please join the Coptic Evangelism in North America <Coptic-Evangelism-In-North-America@googlegroups.com> Google group and introduce yourself there. I am finding more and more American and Canadian Coptic Orthodox who are deeply committed to Evangelism and Outrreach.

God bless you

Father Peter

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 08:57:20 AM »

While I obviously do not agree with your conclusions regarding the doctrinal purity of the EO and your reasons for leaving, I would say that Truth is of far greater importance than feeling comfortable. It can be tough initially, but many of us here have done it. If you truly believe that the OO alone are the true Church of Christ, and that the EO are heretics with an invalid Eucharist, then there really is no excuse for you not to join an OO church (although waiting a while to make sure you don't rush into anything is advisable).

Coptic churches tend have great emphasis on involving the youth, who often speak very poor Arabic, and so you often get English Liturgies, English Tasbeha, English Bible studies, etc. even if it's an exclusively Egyptian parish with little focus on wider mission.
coptickev

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 02:28:45 PM »

What am I to do if I feel drawn to the Oriental Orthodox faith, and believe that it is the only tradition that has purity in doctrinal continuity, but I do not feel drawn to any of the inherently foreign and ethnic churches that do not yet seem interested in catering to "Americans" (like some EO churches are now) and seem to be the sole OO presence in my area?

It will depend to a great extent as to how much "catering" you expect. If it is simply a matter of English in the Liturgy, an English sermon on Sunday, and bi-lingual activities, you can already get that in most places, certainly in the Coptic Church. But if you expect a Church which is "American" in culture, language and outlook, well that's unlikely - nor is it desirable in my opinion. Think about why you are attracted to the OO, and consider how it would be without the influence of the "old country".
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 06:06:59 PM »

and that the EO are heretics with an invalid Eucharist,

Though this is off topic, I feel it important to address this point. I have never said here that I believe that the beliefs of the EO are currently heretical. I recently posted a thread in the EO/OO private forum where I established that there are essentially three schools of thought with respect to the status of our respective churches, 1st that at one point the other side compromised purity of orthodox doctrine and has continued to some degree heretical since, 2nd that at one point doctrinal purity was compromised but that it has since been "fixed", and 3rd that the other side has always been purely orthodox. I know that with respect to the EO that I do not side with the third school, but I have also never indicated that I side with the first school. Actually, I am probably most inclined to the second. So no, I wouldn't say that the EO are heretics. Just that because of Chalcedon, which I believe was not purely orthodox, that you are lacking consistent doctrinal continuity.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Feanor

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 09:30:47 PM »

When I went to a Coptic church, the people were extremely welcoming. They all made the effort to make me feel welcome. Copts and Ethiopians are very nice people from my experience.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: