OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 01:56:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Latin and Greek terms for "salvation"  (Read 4323 times) Average Rating: 0
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« on: February 24, 2010, 08:59:24 AM »

Dear knowledgeable folks,

I was wondering: does the Greek term for salvation, "sotitia," have the "medicinal" connotations in it, like the Latin term "salvatus" (apparently, "salve" is a medicine)?

Thanks!

Love never fails.
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 01:27:19 PM »

There are two words that are translated as "save".

The greek word "sozo" literally means to save, deliver or protect, heal, preserve, make well, or make whole.

The greek word "soteria" means rescue or safety, deliver, heal, or save and has it's root in the word "sozo".

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 02:02:07 PM »

There are two words that are translated as "save".

The greek word "sozo" literally means to save, deliver or protect, heal, preserve, make well, or make whole.

The greek word "soteria" means rescue or safety, deliver, heal, or save and has it's root in the word "sozo".

Thank you. So, there IS this "medicinal" connotation" in "sotiria" ("soteria").

Love never fails.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 06:52:03 PM »

Yes, although honestly, this is more of a Christian or Late Antique idea than it is a classical one. In the authors of the classical period, in both Greek and Latin, the word is pretty much about preservation from harm and deliverance from afflictions/harm/injury. Corporeality becomes an important category in late antique thought in both Christianity and pagan high society. So, then, you see some uses that are medicinal.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 07:24:30 PM by pensateomnia » Logged

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 07:48:15 PM »

Yes, although honestly, this is more of a Christian or Late Antique idea than it is a classical one. In the authors of the classical period, in both Greek and Latin, the word is pretty much about preservation from harm and deliverance from afflictions/harm/injury. Corporeality becomes an important category in late antique thought in both Christianity and pagan high society. So, then, you see some uses that are medicinal.

Thank you, that's very interesting!

Love never fails.
Christianus
Elder

Faith: ¿esse an non esse Orthodoxus?

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 04:41:51 AM »

Dear knowledgeable folks,

I was wondering: does the Greek term for salvation, "sotitia," have the "medicinal" connotations in it, like the Latin term "salvatus" (apparently, "salve" is a medicine)?

Thanks!
Salve means hi (singular) Salvete hi plural.
Salus Salutis means Salvation, but in Vulgar Latin it came to mean health (spanish salud), and Salvatio Salvationis came to mean Salvation (so Salvation is actually a Latin word in English).
  to save in late latin is salvare (to be saved salvari continuous, perfect is salvatus sum) the original was Salvus Fieri ( to become saved) and Salvum Facere (to make saved) Salvum me fac Domine (save me Lord).
so the words to Save, Saviour (Lt. salvator), Salvation all come from Latin.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 04:44:34 AM by Christianus » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: