OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 05:11:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Nuns  (Read 4028 times) Average Rating: 0
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« on: February 23, 2010, 11:38:27 PM »

In Orthodoxy, I know that there aren't different "orders" of monastics as there are in Catholicism. I also know that male monastics are not necessarily restricted to life in a monastery, as they can become priests who serve at parish.

My question is this; are all Orthodox nuns cloistered, and is their life solely restricted to that of the convent? Are there any that run hospitals or teach in schools as the Franciscans or Sisters of Mercy do in Catholicism?

Thanks!

In XC,

Maureen

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 11:46:23 PM »

I know of at least one monastery involved in such work, which is the St. Elizabeth Convent in Belarus. A couple of young women working with them gave a presentation at my parish about their work for children with disabilities who, in Belarus, are often simply abandoned by their parents.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 12:37:34 AM »

Are there any that run hospitals or teach in schools as the Franciscans or Sisters of Mercy do in Catholicism?

The nuns at my church do community services (homeless pantry; hospital work) and live in the middle of the city.  However, they live in a dilapidated house that no one in the parish is typically allowed to enter in order to maintain a semblance of solitude and prayer.

Their abbess, the God-fearing Brigid, spent many years alone as an anchorite in the forests of northern California.

So not all live a cloistered life at all times.  Some still retreat to the wilderness to be alone.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 02:26:15 AM »

Is there any type of monasticism for married people? (I know this may be a ridiculously stupid question. Forgive my ignorance.)

Selam

"Don't register. Don't vote.
Don't enlist. Don't deploy.
Don't take oaths. Don't say the pledge.
Pray to God, and start a revolution instead!"
Selam, +GMK+
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 08:12:38 AM »

Last I heard, about 10 years ago, the Orthodox Church in America's Stravropegial Monastery of New Skete, in New York State, had some sort of an arrangement for "monastic" married couples, in addition to residences for monks, and nuns, separately of course.  The monastery was founded within a Byzantine Rite jurisdiction of the Roman Catholic Church, before conversion to Orthodoxy, but I do not know to what extent this type of a monastic institution is within Orthodox tradition.  I know nothing more than what I've written, but the monastery would be included on the OCA's web site.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
monkvasyl
High Elder

Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 11:19:35 AM »

They are the New Skete Companions:

"ABOUT US

The Companions of New Skete, a married monastic community, was founded as the third New Skete community in 1983. In 1984, it was officially brought under the omophorion of His Beatitude, Metropolitan Theodosius, primate of the Orthodox Church in America. under the guidance. The members of this monastic house live monastic life in common. As a monastic community in the church, it exists for the spiritual growth of its members in fellowship with the Monks and Nuns of New Skete, according to the principles of monastic life, consecrated to the three monastic vows of poverty, chastity and obedience."

For the rest of their introduction go to:
http://www.newskete.com/about_us.htm

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 02:17:24 PM »

Is there any type of monasticism for married people? (I know this may be a ridiculously stupid question. Forgive my ignorance.)
Yes. It's called marriage.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 08:27:09 PM »

I know a Monastery that runs a dental surgery.
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 08:45:14 PM »

Last I heard, about 10 years ago, the Orthodox Church in America's Stravropegial Monastery of New Skete, in New York State, had some sort of an arrangement for "monastic" married couples, in addition to residences for monks, and nuns, separately of course.  The monastery was founded within a Byzantine Rite jurisdiction of the Roman Catholic Church, before conversion to Orthodoxy, but I do not know to what extent this type of a monastic institution is within Orthodox tradition.  I know nothing more than what I've written, but the monastery would be included on the OCA's web site.

Traditionally, married couples whose members desired the monastic life would agree to separate.  New Skete's "Companions" arrangement is unusual.

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 12:45:07 PM »

Is there any type of monasticism for married people?

Ain't it the truth!
 Wink

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
monkvasyl
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 01:13:01 PM »

I know a Monastery that runs a dental surgery.

I bet they don't use Novocaine.  lol

HandmaidenofGod
Archon

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 02:21:13 PM »

Thanks for the info!

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 02:23:06 PM »

Would anyone know of any convents other than New Skete in the NY/NJ/Eastern PA area? I've been to New Skete, and I'm looking for a more "traditional" convent to visit.

New Skete is, well, it's New Skete. Wink
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 02:23:33 PM by HandmaidenofGod » Logged

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 02:26:48 PM »

Holy Protection Monastery, in White Haven, PA. They're one of the monasteries founded by Elder Ephraim, so they're quite traditional. I've been there a couple of times and it's a wonderful place. Just call them up ahead of time and let them know you're coming.

http://holyprotectionmonastery.org/english/index.html

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
monkvasyl
High Elder

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 03:00:48 PM »

Here's a list of Orthodox Monasteries in America, both male and female:
http://www.orthodox-christianity.org/orthodoxy/countries/usa/usmonasteries/

Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 10:11:34 PM »

HandmaidenofGod, I've heard excellent reports about Holy Protection Convent which the GOAA Yearbook lists as being in Weatherly Pennsylvania.  Its a community under the GO Pittsburgh Metropolis.  Though apparently established by Fr. Ephraim, I've never heard any of the criticisms sometimes heard about Eframite monasteries.  The GO Pittsburgh Metropolis also has a convent in Saxonburg PA, Nativity of the Theotokos, though I do not have first hand reports about this convent.  Transfiguration in Ellwood City PA, under the OCA's Romanian Episcopate, also has an excellent reputation.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2010, 12:55:56 AM »

Is there any type of monasticism for married people?

Ain't it the truth!
 Wink
to me it's more like purgatory  Smiley

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2010, 02:07:35 AM »

Would anyone know of any convents other than New Skete in the NY/NJ/Eastern PA area? I've been to New Skete, and I'm looking for a more "traditional" convent to visit.

New Skete is, well, it's New Skete. Wink

There are Holy Myrrhbearers in Otego, NY, the Convent of St Elizabeth in Jordanville, NY, and Novo-Diveevo in Nanuet (near Nyack/Spring Valley), NY.

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2010, 09:31:47 AM »

We have had the privilege of knowing the nuns of Holy Myrrhbearers in Otego, NY for many years. They are a wonderful and welcoming community.  Here is their website: http://www.holymyrrhbearers.com/  If you plan on travelling to nearby Cooperstown, NY to visit the Baseball Hall of Fame or the Farmer's Museum, it is worth a short trip down Interstate 88 to visit the monastery. They have a remarkable community, as you can see from their website.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 09:32:24 AM by podkarpatska » Logged
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2010, 02:11:02 PM »

Thank you all for the information! Hopefully after the semester ends I will be able to pay a visit to one of them. (I already have plans for Spring Break, and the majority of it will be consumed by homework!! lol)

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: