OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 06:30:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I ask for your prayers  (Read 5898 times) Average Rating: 0
Economan
« on: November 17, 2002, 09:06:06 PM »

I have decided to return to Orthodoxy from Eastern Catholicism. I feel a little awkward talking about this, but I need all the help I can get. I left Orthodoxy because I felt I got treated like garbage at a couple of parishes (ex CSB AND non ex-CSB...well, I'm not one for keeping grudges, and I need to do what's best for my salvation. In the meantime, while I'm not quite at the Khomiakov level, I'll be the resident new-calender, ultra-ecumenist minimalist (what a mouthful!). I'll defend Israel, and the War on Terror. In short, I'll be sure to be a pain in the rear end to everyone here.

Seriously, this is a pretty hard time for me. Please pray for my (eventual) reconciliation with the Church. I'm not sure exactly where I'll end up,  but I need a solid foundation in my life, and I'm not too picky, as long as I  dont go back to some parishes where I've already burned my bridges, so to speak.

Actually, I admit I haven't been a model Byzantine Catholic either, but I don't want to get too in depth about my life since May ( I last recived Orthodox Holy Commuion on Bright Monday). Basically I'm doing what I feel it best for my salvation.

Please also pray that I can get over some grudges that I have, some really  big grudges with some Orthodox that I know. I wish I had left Orthodoxy on better terms, but I really need to get over some past troubles.

In the meantime, I'll combine the Great Russian traditonalism of the OCA's Diocese of Sf and the West, (gotta love Obkihod!)with the openmindenness of Fr. Lev Gillet. Well, I've got to do fix dinner.

Wishing everyone a blessed fast,

Michael King
« Last Edit: November 17, 2002, 09:15:23 PM by Economan » Logged
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2002, 09:42:52 PM »

Dear Michael,

Best wishes and my prayers for you.  Don't worry, supporting Palestine isn't an article of Orthodox faith! However, as you seem to recognize most Orthodox are not on Israel's side so you might want to keep your politics and your religion separate! (good advice for anyone!)

Let us know what's happening as you progress.

In Christ,

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2002, 09:47:47 PM »

Dear Michael,

Glory to Jesus Christ!

A warm welcome back to Holy Orthodoxy!  You will be on firm spiritual ground in the OCA's Diocese of the West under the omophorion of His Grace, Bishop TIKHON of San Francisco, well known not only for his strictness, his conservatism and his traditionalism, but also for his archpastoral solicitude and kindness.

A word to the wise (from one who's been there): Stay out of Church politics at all levels (National, diocesan, deanery and parish).  Nothing is less edifying nor more soul-destroying than Church politics.  And nothing in the human side of the Church is more seductive to bring one to a place where grudges may form.

My prayers are with you, and may you have a spiritually profitable Nativity Fast as well.

God bless you.

In Christ,
Hypo-Ortho
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2002, 12:15:02 AM »

Hypo-Ortho,

I couldn't agree more. As soon as I start reading or getting involved in church politics on any level, even so much as reading it on this board, I really get discouraged.

Christ promised that the gates of hell wouldn't prevail against his church, but it can be awfully detrimental when I read people critisizing all levels of hierarchy within the church, like they're a whole lot holier!

With my conversion to Orthodoxy, I had to make doubly sure that my motives weren't political at all. I don't intend to be a church hopper. I'm taking my time as a catechumen to try and get more deeply involved in Orthodoxy. I rather not rush things, and just take them as they come.

I wish you prayers in your spiritual journey, Michael..

Bobby
Seraphim Reeves
Elder

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2002, 11:08:02 AM »

have decided to return to Orthodoxy from Eastern Catholicism. I feel a little awkward talking about this, but I need all the help I can get. I left Orthodoxy because I felt I got treated like garbage at a couple of parishes (ex CSB AND non ex-CSB...well, I'm not one for keeping grudges, and I need to do what's best for my salvation. In the meantime, while I'm not quite at the Khomiakov level, I'll be the resident new-calender, ultra-ecumenist minimalist (what a mouthful!). I'll defend Israel, and the War on Terror. In short, I'll be sure to be a pain in the rear end to everyone here.

Hey, you dropped the Roman Catholicism, perhaps the other errors will follow in their own time... Smiley

Btw., I'm happy to hear of your decision.

Please also pray that I can get over some grudges that I have, some really  big grudges with some Orthodox that I know. I wish I had left Orthodoxy on better terms, but I really need to get over some past troubles.

It's hard to separate faces/personalities from bigger, more abstract things like "religion" (since so much of our experience of the faith is through said people.)  I can only hope that by the grace of God you manage to do just this, and see beyond the bad things people who should have known better, unfortunately did to you.

Seraphim - resident calendar worshipping fanatic

The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2002, 11:23:18 AM »

I agree based on my experience of the OCA and the reputation of the Diocese of the West and Bishop Tikhon that you'll be in good hands there. The external beauty and internal orthodoxy of the Orthodox tradition are wonderful things.

Those ex-CSB places seem to cause some cases of 'burnout'. About two years ago New Oxford Review ran an article by someone, originally a nominal Roman Catholic, who joined one for about three years, then went Roman Catholic again. The article, in some respects a screed against the Byzantine way in general, and NOR's editor don't tell the reader that the group in question was not in the Orthodox Church (it was still ex-ROCOR and not yet in the Serbian Church and OCA) when the author was in it.

If you want to be Eastern, I'm glad your experience hasn't soured you on giving it another chance.

"You always were a historically illiterate jerk, John." - OicwR doyen Stuart Koehl

High-church libertarian
Blog
Josaphat

What's the deal with Llamas?

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2002, 01:04:25 AM »

I will pray for you too.  Whatever you do, don't get your head chopped off.

What is CSB?

Josaphat
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2002, 01:16:57 AM »

CSB is Christ the Saviour Brotherhood, an amalgamation of the St Herman of Alaska Brotherhood, a monastic group Fr Seraphim (Rose) started in the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia (and that left ROCOR six years after he died in 1982), and a former New Age church, the Holy Order of MANS (the meaning of the acronym was a secret), that converted en masse around the time the former left ROCOR, in 1988. I'm not sure if it still exists as such - it might. It had its own churches but these are now in the Serbian Church and in the Orthodox Church in America (OCA).
« Last Edit: November 29, 2002, 01:24:29 AM by Serge » Logged

"You always were a historically illiterate jerk, John." - OicwR doyen Stuart Koehl

High-church libertarian
Blog
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2002, 01:18:59 PM »

CSB is Christ the Saviour Brotherhood, an amalgamation of the St Herman of Alaska Brotherhood, a monastic group Fr Seraphim (Rose) started in the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia (and that left ROCOR six years after he died in 1982), and a former New Age church, the Holy Order of MANS (the meaning of the acronym was a secret), that converted en masse around the time the former left ROCOR, in 1988. I'm not sure if it still exists as such - it might. It had its own churches but these are now in the Serbian Church and in the Orthodox Church in America (OCA).

And in the Bulgarian Eastern Orthodox Church (Metropolitan Joseph) under the Bulgarian Patriarchate, Serge.  They have a very traditional Old Calendar parish in Maine that would make a ROCOR parish look like modernists!   Grin

Hypo-Ortho
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: