OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 04:59:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Men’s Figure Skating 'In-Your-Face' Gender-Bending  (Read 1179 times) Average Rating: 0
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« on: February 23, 2010, 02:32:14 AM »

http://www.catholic.org/prwire/headline.php?ID=8727

Hampstead, MD (February 18, 2010) - In his latest Catholic News Agency column, Louie Verrecchio says that even in his youth he recognized that there is something more to the Olympics “than just mere competition as the games always seem to communicate something far bigger.”

Vancouver 2010 is no different according to Verrecchio, and “the message coming from the men’s figure skating competition is that ‘boys will be girls and girls will be boys,’ and if you buy into all the hype, it’s positively delightful!”

“I have to tell you,” Verrecchio writes, “I for one am not even close to being delighted with what I’m seeing.”

In a column that is sure to stir the passions of his readers both pro and con, Verrecchio points to what he called “an unspoken competition-within-the-competition in which many of the male figure skaters seem to be trying – be it through make-up, hair-dos, mannerisms or costumes - to out gender-bend the next guy.”

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 02:58:28 AM »

What a diabolical assault against our traditional morality.  God help us all.  Roll Eyes
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 03:13:44 AM »

What in the blazes is he talking about?  Huh

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 04:32:37 AM »

Johnny Weir, for starters.  Tongue
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 04:33:17 AM by LBK » Logged
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 04:43:58 AM »

Johnny Weir, for starters.  Tongue

What about him?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 05:17:18 AM »

Obviously you haven't been watching the figure skating at the Vancouver Games.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 05:34:33 AM »

Obviously you haven't been watching the figure skating at the Vancouver Games.

Why do you assume that?

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 08:10:57 AM »

This is not news, it's self-promotion. It's as if a newspaper ran a front-page story about how great their editorial is, which can conveniently be found on page 6.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 08:11:17 AM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 12:41:00 PM »

I gotta agree with Mr. Y on this one. I see no value in this at all. Figure skating is only partly about technical proficiency. The rest of it is presentation and artistic interpretation. If it was simply a technical skating contest, everyone should put away their skates and just award all medals to Evgeney Plushenko every year since he's probably the best at jumps and technical proficiency on the men's side. But because of the artistic part of skating, Lysacek was able to beat him in the contest. I suppose the person writing this article also is not a fan of Barishnikov or of having men in the ballet.... I think this article should be seen as a person's opinion and nothing more.

-Nick
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 12:43:49 PM by admiralnick » Logged

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 01:37:48 PM »

I suppose the person writing this article also is not a fan of Barishnikov or of having men in the ballet.... I think this article should be seen as a person's opinion and nothing more.
Probably. You know, there are some pretty masculine guys in ballet, gymnastics, opera, cheerleading, theatre, etc. I've known a few in my years in the performing arts. It seems like some people think men can't do anything artistic, as though masculinity is expressed only through beating up another man. Such an idea seems to be American in nature. The Europeans have a very different idea. In Europe, you'd never hear, for example, Placido Domingo called a girly man.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 02:34:53 PM »

I don't see anything wrong with Men's Figure Skating. As Mr. Y said, not all masculinity has to be expressed in the form of brute force with stone throwing competitions and chest pounding.

To me, figure skating reminds me a lot of ballet, but on ice. Ballet is a combination of strength, grace, and beauty, and I see figure skating in much the same way.

Johnny Weir is eccentric. His intention is to draw a reaction from people and to be controversial. Not all male figure skaters are like that. Lysacek skated to two well known Classical pieces, and did a great job. His performance demonstrated both strength and artistry at the same time. I say, God bless him!

It's easy for all of us to sit here and play "Monday morning Quarterback" and criticize these guys for not being "manly" enough, but I don't see any of us going out there and trying to do a triple-sow-cow or a triple-lutz. Heck, I can barely stand on skates, nevermind propel my body into the air three times in a graceful manner!  laugh

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 03:56:45 PM »

Recently, more than Johnny Weir's status as a good role model was questioned when two French-speaking Canadian sports commentators made politically incorrect and insensitive comments to Weir's gender and sexuality during the national broadcast of his long program performance.

In response to the two commentators, who suggested Weir was a bad role model for being too feminine and flamboyant on ice, Weir called a press conference and showed his mature and thoughtful side. Jokes aside, Weir remained serious throughout the conference about what it meant to believe in oneself and stay true to one's personality despite other people's opinions. "Now that we live in this day and age, it's definitely the time for freedom and it's definitely the time for people to be unique and to believe in themselves and not conform to anyone for any reason."

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 05:25:57 PM »

Ooh, first an editorial and now a blog. It's got to be true, then. Roll Eyes

Look, one person does not a conspiracy make. I direct you to the following post:

Johnny Weir is eccentric. His intention is to draw a reaction from people and to be controversial. Not all male figure skaters are like that.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 05:26:48 PM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: