OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 11:28:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions from a Dallas-area Catholic  (Read 4127 times) Average Rating: 0
Dave in McKinney

Faith: Roman Catholic but loving Byzantine Catholicism

« on: February 22, 2010, 07:20:54 PM »

Hello all!
 I'm a 40-something guy, spent first 30 so yrs as a cradle Catholic, then next 10ish as a Methodist.  I am at the point where I realize that either the RC or OC or both are THE Church, and are the one for me.  I've been attending Catholic Mass a few times, and liked it a lot... I forgot what reverence during service meant, i.e. no coffee and donuts in the sanctuary... etc
 So one question I have is that there seems to be several OC's nearby.. is there a particular one that I might feel most comfortable in coming from a Catholic & non-ethnic/western background?
  I like the way that the local Catholic church is involved in charities and pro-life work.  Not to mention the Catholic radio station has some excellent programming about leading a truly Christina life.  Does the OC have similar offerings?
  Also I don't know where my faith journey is leading me to, but I know where I am not going...  I have been wanting to find good manly men that spiritual and truly Christian.  For that matter my wife & I have been looking for a couple to hang with for fun and spiritual support but it just hasn't worked out yet for us...  please pray for us.....  Thanks!

wynd
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

Transfiguration

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 07:29:23 PM »

There's a bunch: http://orthodoxyinamerica.org/lr_v10/locator.php?user_origin=75201

The only one I've actually been to is St. John the Baptist Greek Orthodox Church in Euless. They had about a 50/50 Greek/English mix during the services. I've always wanted to go to the OCA Cathedral in Dallas, but I've never made it over there.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 07:57:02 PM »

I would visit more than one church; however, Saint Seraphim, the OCA Cathedral, should be on the "must visit" list. Web site is http://www.stseraphim.org/

Saint Seraphim is distinguished by its very traditional architecture (no pews!), beautiful sanctuary, outstanding choirs (important in themselves as we worship with all our senses as well as in spirit), and great leadership. The former Rector, Archbishop Dimitri, was a convert as is the current Acting Rector, Metropolitan Jonah, and I believe most of her lower clergy and many of the laity.

May God bless your spiritual journey.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 08:04:34 PM by Second Chance » Logged

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 08:00:27 PM »

I suggest you ti visit an Antiochian St. Peter Church in Fort Worth, because they celebrate the Liturgy according to the Western Rite.

Welcome to the forum!

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 09:19:07 PM »

Saint Seraphim is distinguished by its very traditional architecture (no pews!), beautiful sanctuary, outstanding choirs (important in themselves as we worship with all our senses as well as in spirit), and great leadership. The former Rector, Archbishop Dimitri, was a convert as is the current Acting Rector, Metropolitan Jonah, and I believe most of her lower clergy and many of the laity.

Look at the place!  Incredible:

http://www.iconsexplained.com/iec/02664_iconostasis_and_apse_1100x825.htm#interactive
PeaceSerenity

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 09:45:53 PM »

I like the way that the local Catholic church is involved in charities and pro-life work.  Not to mention the Catholic radio station has some excellent programming about leading a truly Christina life.  Does the OC have similar offerings?

In terms of radio stations I haven't heard about any "real" Orthodox radio stations but there are several on the internet that I found particularly interesting, like Ancient Faith Radio and I think the OCN has two stations online.

The Orthodox Church sponsors a large number of charity organizations, the largest of which, I think, are the International Orthodox Christian Charities. I know they are in Haiti and pretty much wherever there is need. If you want to get involved, I'm sure you will find plenty of local and large-scale organizations that you can help out with.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 10:13:57 PM »

http://www.iconsexplained.com/iec/02664_iconostasis_and_apse_1100x825.htm#interactive

Wow! This parish is absolutely breathtaking!

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 10:21:20 PM »

Not to mention the Catholic radio station has some excellent programming about leading a truly Christina life.  Does the OC have similar offerings?

First, welcome to the forum!  As to your question, I'm not sure the Orthodox Church can help you in leading a Christina life. Cheesy  But come and give us a chance anyway!

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
wynd
High Elder

Transfiguration

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 11:04:39 PM »

Wow! This parish is absolutely breathtaking!

I know, it's great isn't it? I almost got married there. Unfortunately the logistics didn't work out.
Dave in McKinney

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 11:05:53 PM »

Not to mention the Catholic radio station has some excellent programming about leading a truly Christina life.  Does the OC have similar offerings?

First, welcome to the forum!  As to your question, I'm not sure the Orthodox Church can help you in leading a Christina life. Cheesy  But come and give us a chance anyway!

Funny....... Roll Eyes
Paisius
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Wherever the wind blows......

Scheherazade

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 11:42:16 PM »

Funny....... Roll Eyes

Check out Ancient Faith Radio. They have a station for both music and talk along with a huge selection of podcast. As far as the podcast are concerned I recommend Speaking the Truth in Love by Fr Thomas Hopko.

Yours in Christ
Joe

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frédéric Bastiat
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 11:47:18 PM »

Hello all!
 I'm a 40-something guy, spent first 30 so yrs as a cradle Catholic, then next 10ish as a Methodist.  I am at the point where I realize that either the RC or OC or both are THE Church, and are the one for me.  I've been attending Catholic Mass a few times, and liked it a lot... I forgot what reverence during service meant, i.e. no coffee and donuts in the sanctuary... etc
 So one question I have is that there seems to be several OC's nearby.. is there a particular one that I might feel most comfortable in coming from a Catholic & non-ethnic/western background?
  I like the way that the local Catholic church is involved in charities and pro-life work.  Not to mention the Catholic radio station has some excellent programming about leading a truly Christina life.  Does the OC have similar offerings?
  Also I don't know where my faith journey is leading me to, but I know where I am not going...  I have been wanting to find good manly men that spiritual and truly Christian.  For that matter my wife & I have been looking for a couple to hang with for fun and spiritual support but it just hasn't worked out yet for us...  please pray for us.....  Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!

I would definitely reccomend checking out some of the parish's that have already been suggested. In regards to media and charity, you may find the below links of interest:

Orthodox Christian Network
Ancient Faith Radio
International Orthodox Christian Charities
Zoe for Life
FOCUS North America
Orthodox Christian Mission Center

Also, as you are someone coming from a Catholic background, you may find the Western Rite of Orthodoxy intriguing. (I believe Mike had mentioned a parish in Ft. Worth.) Here is some more information on Western Rite Orthodoxy.

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have; we are more than happy to answer!

God bless you on your journey!

In XC,

Maureen
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 11:48:12 PM by HandmaidenofGod » Logged

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 12:06:02 AM »

Hello all!
 I'm a 40-something guy, spent first 30 so yrs as a cradle Catholic, then next 10ish as a Methodist.  I am at the point where I realize that either the RC or OC or both are THE Church, and are the one for me.  I've been attending Catholic Mass a few times, and liked it a lot... I forgot what reverence during service meant, i.e. no coffee and donuts in the sanctuary... etc
  Also I don't know where my faith journey is leading me to, but I know where I am not going...  I have been wanting to find good manly men that spiritual and truly Christian.  For that matter my wife & I have been looking for a couple to hang with for fun and spiritual support but it just hasn't worked out yet for us...  please pray for us.....  Thanks!

Greetings Dave and welcome to OC.net!

We come from similar backgrounds almost. I was raised Methodist and became Catholic in my late teens. As I studied ancient Christianity further, I became intrigued by Orthodoxy and began visiting an Orthodox church for services. I was convinced that the Orthodox Church had maintained the Apostolic Faith from Pentecost until now. Almost two months ago I was received into the Orthodox Church (at the ripe ol' age of 20 Tongue). My prayers are with you in this time of discernment. I encourage you to visit any local Orthodox church and also check out Ancient Faith Radio as others have recommended. It is truly wonderful and offers a wealth of information.

Of course learning about Orthodoxy and experiencing it can and probably will be two different things.  Wink My prayers are with you and your wife!

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 12:46:58 AM »

I am at the point where I realize that either the RC or OC or both are THE Church, and are the one for me.

I'm guessing you mean particularly the Chalcedonian Eastern Orthodox Church?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Paisius
OC.net guru

Scheherazade

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 01:18:02 AM »

Ya think?  Cheesy

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frédéric Bastiat
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 01:23:05 AM »

Ya think?  Cheesy

*shrugs*

Sometimes people don't know that the Oriental Orthodox tradition exists.

Sometimes they don't think its legitimately orthodox and thus refuse to refer to it as such, referring to the EOC as simply "the Orthodox Church".

Sometimes people use the term as inclusive of the two.

Etc.

There's no way I could know just by assuming which one is meant. The only way I could know if people actually started adding the "Eastern" to "Orthodox" to distinguish it from Oriental Orthodoxy.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 12:02:56 PM »

Funny....... Roll Eyes

Check out Ancient Faith Radio. They have a station for both music and talk along with a huge selection of podcast. As far as the podcast are concerned I recommend Speaking the Truth in Love by Fr Thomas Hopko.

Yours in Christ
Joe

Fr Hopko's stuff is pretty awesome.  +1
DavidH
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 07:03:01 PM »

Hello all!
 I'm a 40-something guy, spent first 30 so yrs as a cradle Catholic, then next 10ish as a Methodist.  I am at the point where I realize that either the RC or OC or both are THE Church, and are the one for me.  I've been attending Catholic Mass a few times, and liked it a lot... I forgot what reverence during service meant, i.e. no coffee and donuts in the sanctuary... etc
  I like the way that the local Catholic church is involved in charities and pro-life work.  Not to mention the Catholic radio station has some excellent programming about leading a truly Christina life.  Does the OC have similar offerings?
  Also I don't know where my faith journey is leading me to, but I know where I am not going...  I have been wanting to find good manly men that spiritual and truly Christian.  For that matter my wife & I have been looking for a couple to hang with for fun and spiritual support but it just hasn't worked out yet for us...  please pray for us.....  Thanks!

Hi, David-
  My parish might be a good one for you to check out. We are currently in Dallas but our temple in McKinney will be completed very soon (hopefully before the end of Lent). We are a small parish but a very friendly mix of mostly American converts as well as Russians. Services are mostly in English. Here is our website: www.orthodox.net

« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 07:04:22 PM by DavidH » Logged
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 07:20:39 PM »

Welcome to the forum.

I'm also a resident of Dallas and a parishoner at St. Seraphim's (the church with the pictures posted below) for the last 16 years. Honestly, the majority of the parishes in the metroplex area have services all or 90%+ in English with large contingents of converts and cradles who are 3rd+ generation Americans--iow, you could pick almost any of the area parishes and not be too concerned about finding 'ethincity' to be any kind of barrier at all.

If you live in McKinney, the ROCOR parish DavidH suggested might be a good option, although I understand it is very small (not a criticism, I just know different people have different preferences about parish size). Just slightly to the south, in North Plano, you'll find St. Sava's, which is a very dynamic parish in the midst of preparing to start on a new building. St. Seraphim's, the cathedral for the Diocese of the South and still the home of the retired Archbishop Dmitri (a native Texan, and the first American convert to become a bishop in the Orthodox Church) may be a bit of a drive for you (straight down 75), but it's definitely worth a visit.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
Dave in McKinney

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2010, 09:21:53 AM »

Hi, David-
  My parish might be a good one for you to check out. We are currently in Dallas but our temple in McKinney will be completed very soon (hopefully before the end of Lent). We are a small parish but a very friendly mix of mostly American converts as well as Russians. Services are mostly in English. Here is our website: www.orthodox.net

I probably would've already checked you guys out if you were in McKinney already :-)   
I'll keep an eye out for when DL starts in McKinney.
Dave in McKinney

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2010, 09:26:12 AM »

Welcome to the forum.

I'm also a resident of Dallas and a parishoner at St. Seraphim's (the church with the pictures posted below) for the last 16 years. Honestly, the majority of the parishes in the metroplex area have services all or 90%+ in English with large contingents of converts and cradles who are 3rd+ generation Americans--iow, you could pick almost any of the area parishes and not be too concerned about finding 'ethincity' to be any kind of barrier at all.

If you live in McKinney, the ROCOR parish DavidH suggested might be a good option, although I understand it is very small (not a criticism, I just know different people have different preferences about parish size). Just slightly to the south, in North Plano, you'll find St. Sava's, which is a very dynamic parish in the midst of preparing to start on a new building. St. Seraphim's, the cathedral for the Diocese of the South and still the home of the retired Archbishop Dmitri (a native Texan, and the first American convert to become a bishop in the Orthodox Church) may be a bit of a drive for you (straight down 75), but it's definitely worth a visit.

I'd love to visit St Seraphim... it looks beautiful... I think I had read an article while back in the Dallas Morning News about the guy who painted the inside...
St Sava is another good choice for me since it is relatively close...Thanks!
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2010, 09:38:47 AM »

Hello all!

There are a couple of canonical Western Rite Orthodox congregations by you, including a mission in Dallas:
http://www.stpaulsorthodox.org/
http://westernorthodox.blogspot.com/2009/03/new-western-rite-mission-in-muleshoe.html
http://www.westernorthodox.com/directory

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Dave in McKinney

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2010, 11:32:38 AM »

Actually it looks like St Paul is in Houston...
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2010, 07:30:13 PM »

Actually it looks like St Paul is in Houston...

Ooops, St. Peter's
http://www.saintpeterorthodox.org/

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2010, 07:56:55 PM »

I think I had read an article while back in the Dallas Morning News about the guy who painted the inside...

Subdeacon Vladimir. The parish originally arranged to bring him over to do the iconography of the church but his since become a major pillar of our community (who got his U.S. citizenship at the end of last year). That article was on the fellowship hall's bulletin board for a year I think; we were very proud.

I rather expect that Vladimir will also do the iconography for St. Sava's once they get their new building.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2010, 09:52:45 PM »

Hey, for once a Western Rite parish actually used some western looking images:

« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 09:54:42 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2010, 03:20:55 AM »

Hey, for once a Western Rite parish actually used some western looking images:

Ahhhh I like it. More Western looking.

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2010, 03:22:42 AM »

There is a Western Rite Church in Mesquite, TX

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
Jake C
Catechumen

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Diocese of Wichita and Mid-America

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2010, 01:58:35 AM »

Wow! I MUST visit that parish some day! My jaw physically dropped upon viewing that image. Shocked

Blessed art Thou, O Lord, teach me Thy statutes.
Dave in McKinney

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2010, 09:41:58 AM »

Well I attended St. Seraphim (OCA) presanctified Liturgy last night...my first Orthodox service...
 It was a beautiful building, and the liturgy was beautiful too... of course a little hard to follow... very solemn..
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2010, 09:50:32 AM »

Well I attended St. Seraphim (OCA) presanctified Liturgy last night...my first Orthodox service...
 It was a beautiful building, and the liturgy was beautiful too... of course a little hard to follow... very solemn..

Very cool!

The first part of pre-Sanctified Liturgy is from the Vespers service, and the latter is from the Divine Liturgy. Obviously it has a penitent tone to it since it is during Lent.

Eventually as you get the hang of things you'll see the Liturgy is actually pretty easy to follow.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it! Did you get a chance to talk to the priest afterwards?

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Jake C
Catechumen

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2010, 01:05:50 PM »

Congrats! As Handmaiden said, it will get less confusing. It won't take long, either. Try to familiarize yourself with the structure of the Liturgy using the book as soon as you can, then ditch it. Once you free yourself from reading along, you are able to truly experience the Liturgy. However, being from an entirely non-credal background, I don't yet have the Creed memorized quite yet, so I still snag a book for when it comes time to recite the creed and Communion Prayers (and obviously, I encourage you to as well).
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 01:07:04 PM by Jake C » Logged

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2010, 08:01:25 AM »

Congrats! As Handmaiden said, it will get less confusing. It won't take long, either. Try to familiarize yourself with the structure of the Liturgy using the book as soon as you can, then ditch it. Once you free yourself from reading along, you are able to truly experience the Liturgy. However, being from an entirely non-credal background, I don't yet have the Creed memorized quite yet, so I still snag a book for when it comes time to recite the creed and Communion Prayers (and obviously, I encourage you to as well).

I read the Creed, Lord's Prayer and communion prayers because in the Parish I attend now they are said in Polish and I'm used to Church-Slavonic. It's not only a convert thing Wink

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Jake C
Catechumen

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2010, 05:17:32 PM »

Ah, that's comforting!

Dave in McKinney

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2010, 08:00:59 PM »

I attended another DL last Sunday.  I was disappointed in that other than a couple of folks were nice and offered us some bread at the end, we were pretty much ignored.  We told a couple of folks at the beginning that we were "new" to orthodoxy but no one came up to us afterwards to talk with us... most folks bolted out the door as quick as they could....
  Huh
Dave in McKinney

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2010, 08:20:34 PM »

I kind of get a "you should feel priviledged to worship with us" from the EO & RC churches.   The local Protestant churches do everything they can to get more members and follow-up with visitors, get their name, address, visit their home, give them an info packet, etc....
  I came away thinking... they're not friendly, a lot of non-english speaking folks, what do I have in common with them?  Why investigate changing if they're not really interested in converts...
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2010, 08:29:24 PM »

I kind of get a "you should feel priviledged to worship with us" from the EO & RC churches.   The local Protestant churches do everything they can to get more members and follow-up with visitors, get their name, address, visit their home, give them an info packet, etc....
  I came away thinking... they're not friendly, a lot of non-english speaking folks, what do I have in common with them?  Why investigate changing if they're not really interested in converts...

I'm afraid that we have more than our share of those who put a bushel over the light of Orthodoxy.  I pray, persevere.

Did you try the WRO?  I would think that they are all English speaking.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 08:30:41 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Paisius
OC.net guru

Scheherazade

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2010, 11:00:25 PM »

I kind of get a "you should feel priviledged to worship with us" from the EO & RC churches.   The local Protestant churches do everything they can to get more members and follow-up with visitors, get their name, address, visit their home, give them an info packet, etc....
  I came away thinking... they're not friendly, a lot of non-english speaking folks, what do I have in common with them?  Why investigate changing if they're not really interested in converts...

Well first of all, no offense intended, we should all feel more than privileged to stand in the presence of our Lord, God and Saviour Jesus Christ. Also it's not our job to track you down at your home and coral you back into church.  Wink

That being said it's unacceptable to not be welcomed properly and I would expect someone to speak and fellowship with you after the liturgy. Basic Christian love dictates as much. Before we jump to any conclusions though I think it's important to remember, St Seraphim's is a fairly large parish. The majority of the people there may not have realized you were visiting and were not Orthodox.

It is certainly true, we do not approach evangelism the same way as Protestants. It's a totally different mindset. I do know for a fact that if you give them a chance and make yourself known to the priest and other parishioners you will be welcomed with open arms.

Also if anyone knows, I thought there was a poster here from St Seraphim's. Perhaps you two could hook up? If you can't find anyone local I could certainly get some contacts for you. Just PM me if you're interested.

Yours in Christ
Joe

Dave in McKinney

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2010, 11:28:16 PM »

Last weekend I went to St. Sava's in Plano... I had attended St. Seraphim's wednesday a week ago when there was maybe 10 to 5 people there
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO

« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2010, 11:51:02 PM »

I attended another DL last Sunday.  I was disappointed in that other than a couple of folks were nice and offered us some bread at the end, we were pretty much ignored.  We told a couple of folks at the beginning that we were "new" to orthodoxy but no one came up to us afterwards to talk with us... most folks bolted out the door as quick as they could....
  Huh

Did this church have a "coffee hour" after the service?  I have noticed that in parishes around here that during the services people are very introspective and keep the fellowshipping for after the services.
Paisius
OC.net guru

Scheherazade

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2010, 12:25:36 AM »

I had attended St. Seraphim's wednesday a week ago when there was maybe 10 to 5 people there

St Seraphim's is the diocesan cathedral and is very convert oriented. Our retired archbishop is a convert himself. If you attend there on a Sunday you will see a lot of people. Make yourself known and I'm sure you'll meet new people quickly.

Also St Seraphim's has a weekly inquirers class on Wed nights although it may be postponed during Lent due to the increased liturgical demands. If you attend that class you are sure to meet other "newbies" who will understand you and other members of the parish as well.

As far as the parish in Plano they may be heavily ethnic, I don't know. From my experience ethnic parishes have some of the most loving people you will ever meet, they're just not used to new people and are not used to approaching them. You can't judge them based on your sensibilities. If you give them a chance I imagine they would surprise you.

Yours in Christ
Joe
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 12:26:31 AM by Paisius » Logged

Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2010, 12:51:08 AM »

Dave in McKinney,

Glad to here that your considering crossing the Bosporus.  Please remember that EO's are not on the same cultural level as Protestants.  The former, like many RC's places a great deal of emphasise on the liturgy/mass and less on community.  You go to Church to participate in the Liturgical services, light candles, pray, and receive communion.  The goal of the Church is interior peace, not exterior socializing.  The problems you've listed are actually what  a lot of Protestant converts to Orthodoxy or Catholicism complane of (lack of friendliness, impersonal worship).  There's no real solution to your problems.  OC's act the way they do from centuries of cultural conditioning which will not change overnight (or probably ever).  This has a lot to do with OC liturgy being more horizontally geered then that of that of Protestantism (which is more vertical).

Just keep on going back and try to put up with the discomforts you feel.  If they become too much of a distraction to your worship mode then try going to another parish (maybe a Western rite one, they tend to be more Americanized/Anglicized). 

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
Jake C
Catechumen

« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2010, 03:46:17 AM »

Dave, I highly encourage you to be patient. Giving St. Seraphim a try on a Sunday would probably be a good idea.

Tonight I attended a very ethnic Russian parish for the Memorial Trisagion and Vespers/Midnight Office/Orthros service, and while I recieved a few puzzled looks from elderly parishioners when I arrived, after the service was done the ones that spoke (often broken) English welcomed me and made me feel at home. The priest was one of the kindest, most welcoming people I've ever met, and asked me to come back once in a while and read for them in English.

I tell you this in hopes that you will not write off Orthodoxy because of an apparent social barrier. With patience and an outgoing personality, I promise that you will find an Orthodox church home.

Dave in McKinney

« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2010, 08:50:42 AM »

Thank you for your kind encouragement.... this is for more than I have rec'd on other boards
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2010, 09:38:39 PM »

Dave: You'll enjoy being Orthodox. It's uncompromising, industrial-strength Christianity. As far as the ethnic differences are concerned, you'll come to enjoy them and wonder how you ever did without them.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: