OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 03:09:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sunday of Orthodoxy in Boston, MA  (Read 1916 times) Average Rating: 0
monkvasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« on: February 22, 2010, 10:05:51 AM »

Glory to Jesus Christ!

Well, our pan-orthodox vespers went very well.  We had 5 priests, 4 who actually served, and 4 deacons, with a total of 86 people in attendance.  The clergy were from the UOC of USA (1 priest and 2 deacons), OCA ( 2 priests, 1 serving), Antiochian (1 priest and 2 deacons), and Bulgarian (1 priest) churches. Fr. Deacon Borislav had arranged for photos to be taken, so I hope Father will post them.  Also, I'd like to hear his comments, since he initiated the service.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
DeaconBorislav
Deacon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 06:51:55 PM »

The service was wonderful.

The fact that we only received the blessing to hold the service at St. Andrews 7 days before Sunday of Orthodoxy makes this evening an even bigger miracle than our coming together for Pan-Orthodox Vespers usually is.

We had little time, yet we were able to put this together and got a great turnout.

The only thing I would disagree in Fr. Vasyl's post is that I was the one initiated it.  It was actually our Lord God.  We are all just his weak and unworthy instruments and Fr. Vasyl' himself did a tremendous amount to make this the success that it was.  I guess he is just being humble for lent! Smiley

All the photos are now available for your viewing pleasure!

Smiley

http://www.ukrainianorthodox.org/st.andrew/index.php?option=com_phocagallery&view=category&id=61%3Asundayoforthodoxy2010&Itemid=61&lang=en
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 06:54:12 PM by DeaconBorislav » Logged

Паки и паки миром Господу помолимся!
Super Apostolic Bros.
Is St. Andrew Luigi to St. Peter's Mario?

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 07:05:58 PM »

I went to a Sunday of Orthodoxy Vespers and to put it mildly... it was amazing.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 07:40:52 PM »

Glory to God! I'm so glad to hear it went well.  Smiley

The temple is beautiful, btw!

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
DeaconBorislav
Deacon

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 12:12:59 AM »

Thank you!

I agree with that.  We are blessed with a beautiful temple.

If we wouldn't have the pews there it would be a bit better but it is nice as is. Smiley

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 12:46:33 AM »

If we wouldn't have the pews there it would be a bit better but it is nice as is. Smiley

Yes!  Out with such heretical innovations!  What godless creature conceived of these monstrosities?!?!?!?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 12:46:41 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 01:22:42 AM »

Congratulations for initiating an inter-Orthodox commemoration in Boston, but it is abominable that the Boston area didn't have a centrally planned, service with far, far greater participation.  One of the very first matters the planned Episcopal Assembly for North & Central America should correct, through the GOAA Eparchial Synod and, if necessary the Ecumenical Patriarchate, is Metropolitan Methodios' "refrain" from GOAA concelebration with the OCA. It should be corrected privately, without purposeful public embarrassment to His Eminence, if possible, but it must be corrected.  The Chalice is not something to play with in regard to administrative disputes. If his administrative logic were to be applied to other GOAA metropolis', the GOAA would have to move from New York, Pittsburgh, Detroit, (and Chicago possibly, not sure).

I regret being so assertive about a qualified and dedicated hierarch's actions, especially during Great Lent, but when I think of how inspired I was at our Triumph of Orthodoxy Vespers in Greater Cleveland, and read that a much larger metropolitan area did not receive such a benefitting experience, I am too pained to remain silent; God forgive me.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 01:38:54 AM »

Congratulations for initiating an inter-Orthodox commemoration in Boston, but it is abominable that the Boston area didn't have a centrally planned, service with far, far greater participation.  One of the very first matters the planned Episcopal Assembly for North & Central America should correct, through the GOAA Eparchial Synod and, if necessary the Ecumenical Patriarchate, is Metropolitan Methodios' "refrain" from GOAA concelebration with the OCA. It should be corrected privately, without purposeful public embarrassment to His Eminence, if possible, but it must be corrected.

His All Holiness had the opportunity to correct Met. Methodios in 11/09.  Apparently, that didn't happen since Met. Methodios' "refrain" continues. 

The Chalice is not something to play with in regard to administrative disputes. If his administrative logic were to be applied to other GOAA metropolis', the GOAA would have to move from New York, Pittsburgh, Detroit, (and Chicago possibly, not sure).

Has this "refrain" been in place for at least 2 years?  What a shame.   Sad

I regret being so assertive about a qualified and dedicated hierarch's actions, especially during Great Lent, but when I think of how inspired I was at our Triumph of Orthodoxy Vespers in Greater Cleveland, and read that a much larger metropolitan area did not receive such a benefitting experience, I am too pained to remain silent; God forgive me.

May God forgive us all.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 02:48:08 AM »

One of the very first matters the planned Episcopal Assembly for North & Central America should correct, through the GOAA Eparchial Synod and, if necessary the Ecumenical Patriarchate, is Metropolitan Methodios' "refrain" from GOAA concelebration with the OCA.

What a bunch of stupid crap.  The Greek priests celebrate with the OCA priests in my city.
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 03:23:44 AM »

To Reply #8,

It's not "a bunch of...crap," when in a major metropolitan area, inter-Orthodox relations are such that there is no semblance of a central joint Sunday of Orthodoxy commemoration, and the one that was sponsored by a single parish, attracts 86 faithful.  It is only in the GOAA's Metropolis of Boston that the presiding hierarch, His Eminence Metropolitan Methodios, several years ago, directed his GOAA priests to "refrain from relations" with the OCA because the OCA enthroned Bishop Nikon to a seat in Boston that had been vacant for some time previously, because His Eminence believes that the GOAA Metropolis see was established prior to the OCA's (the Metropolia's) seat there, even though there has been a diocesan facility for their use. The OCA diocese there is also its headquarters for their Albanian Archdiocese.  (There is a several year old thread on this matter on the forum.)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 03:29:05 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
monkvasyl
High Elder

Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 10:08:46 AM »

A woman from the Antiochian church suggested we should reform or make an entirely new Boston Clergy Association.  When active the Boston group only met for the Sunday of Orthodoxy, yet in Rhode Island and else where, the groups hold Vespers services every Sunday of Lent, as well as special events &/or retreats during the year.  From what I heard there were pan-orthodox celebrations in Rhode Island  and Worcester, MA.  Maybe this will be just enough of a push to get the train started, again.  Hope springs eternal.  Roll Eyes

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
DeaconBorislav
Deacon

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 10:27:31 AM »

Let us refrain from criticizing either of the party involved in the dispute in Boston.  I am sure both have very good reason for doing what they are doing.

Let us instead pray for reconciliation and a quick resolution of the problem.

podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 11:46:31 AM »

Let us refrain from criticizing either of the party involved in the dispute in Boston.  I am sure both have very good reason for doing what they are doing.

Let us instead pray for reconciliation and a quick resolution of the problem.

Amen.
IreneOlinyk

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox (EP)

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 11:30:36 PM »

The service was wonderful.

The fact that we only received the blessing to hold the service at St. Andrews 7 days before Sunday of Orthodoxy makes this evening an even bigger miracle than our coming together for Pan-Orthodox Vespers usually is.

We had little time, yet we were able to put this together and got a great turnout.

The only thing I would disagree in Fr. Vasyl's post is that I was the one initiated it.  It was actually our Lord God.  We are all just his weak and unworthy instruments and Fr. Vasyl' himself did a tremendous amount to make this the success that it was.  I guess he is just being humble for lent! Smiley

All the photos are now available for your viewing pleasure!

Smiley

http://www.ukrainianorthodox.org/st.andrew/index.php?option=com_phocagallery&view=category&id=61%3Asundayoforthodoxy2010&Itemid=61&lang=en

Gee, I am really surprised.  We usually know a year ahead of time, which parish will host it.  It gives the parish time to prepare.  And of course the parish to prepare the Lenten food for the meal after vespers.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 01:02:59 AM »

To Reply #8,

It's not "a bunch of...crap," when in a major metropolitan area, inter-Orthodox relations are such that there is no semblance of a central joint Sunday of Orthodoxy commemoration, and the one that was sponsored by a single parish, attracts 86 faithful.  It is only in the GOAA's Metropolis of Boston that the presiding hierarch, His Eminence Metropolitan Methodios, several years ago, directed his GOAA priests to "refrain from relations" with the OCA because the OCA enthroned Bishop Nikon to a seat in Boston that had been vacant for some time previously, because His Eminence believes that the GOAA Metropolis see was established prior to the OCA's (the Metropolia's) seat there, even though there has been a diocesan facility for their use. The OCA diocese there is also its headquarters for their Albanian Archdiocese.  (There is a several year old thread on this matter on the forum.)
Given the origin of the Albanian Autocephalous Church (it started in Boston, the Albanian Archdiocese is the Mother Church), it seems his eminence seems intent to keep the same tradition as the Greek priest who refused burial rites to the Albanians.

On the founding of the Greek Cathedral:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,22981.msg350661/topicseen.html#msg350661

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags: Sunday of Orthodoxy 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: