OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 02:35:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help! Looking for St John Klimakos Icon in boxed set from Greece  (Read 1738 times) Average Rating: 0
basilthefool

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Holy Orthodox Metropolis of Boston (HOCNA)

htfulcher@comcast.net
« on: February 22, 2010, 07:34:28 AM »

Our community recently purchased a framed set of Icon prints (about a hundred of them), roughly 11x17 in size, with Icons for the Great Feasts, the Paschal cycle, and select popular saints. The set comes from Greece and is the same product as that (that at least was) found in the Chapel at Holy Cross Seminary in Brookline. It's a hinged box with a latch on the right side and a glass top. You pick the Icon you need, place it on top of the stack and are all ready.

Here's our problem. We can't identify an Icon for St John of the Ladder. There obviously is no Icon of the Ladder itself, and if St John is included (which we would be flabbergasted if it weren't), we simply aren't recognizing it.

Does anyone know of the boxed set we have and could you help us identify the Icon of St John Klimakos?

Thanks in advance!
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 02:06:28 PM »

http://orthodoxwiki.org/The_Ladder_of_Divine_Ascent

This is a traditional icon for the Sunday you are looking for.

Joseph
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 02:22:05 PM »

I think our Church has the same thing, I know there are some icons that are not in the set.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 02:31:14 PM »

He says he doesn't have that ladder icon, so he's looking to see if the icon is of St. John himself.

Here is an icon of him from OrthodoxWiki:

The easiest way to see if you have an icon of St. John is to look at the names, if you can recognize the Greek letters. In this case, look for Ιωάννης Κλιμακος (Ioannis Klimakos)

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Get_Behind_Me_Satan
2Cor. 5:15 And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.
Moderated

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Julian Calender

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 04:27:48 PM »

Here is an icon of Climacus:

Here is a Russian masterpiece icon of the Ladder:

“The testimonies of the western teachers I neither recognize or accept. I surmise that they are corrupted.
There can be no compromise in matters of the Orthodox Faith.”

St Mark Of Ephesus, Doctor of the church. (True Church)

Down with ecumenism!
basilthefool

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Holy Orthodox Metropolis of Boston (HOCNA)

htfulcher@comcast.net
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 05:55:57 PM »

I think our Church has the same thing, I know there are some icons that are not in the set.

I suspected as much. Would you have time to ask your priest or deacon if St John is missing? At least if we know it's not there we can stop looking and pull out the "Ladder" Icon we've used in years past.

Thanks to you (and all who have helped in this matter)!
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 09:02:37 PM »

I don't think there is one of St. John himself. We have always used the Ladder icon
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 09:14:48 PM »

Our community recently purchased a framed set of Icon prints (about a hundred of them), roughly 11x17 in size, with Icons for the Great Feasts, the Paschal cycle, and select popular saints. The set comes from Greece and is the same product as that (that at least was) found in the Chapel at Holy Cross Seminary in Brookline. It's a hinged box with a latch on the right side and a glass top. You pick the Icon you need, place it on top of the stack and are all ready.

Where did you purchase this from?
Tags: Lenten series icons 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: