OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 09:07:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do Ukrainians believe in Toll Houses?  (Read 4218 times) Average Rating: 0
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« on: February 21, 2010, 02:38:12 AM »

I'd like to ask some of my Ukrainian friends if it's common for Ukrainians to believe in Toll Houses or an intermediary state after death?  I figure that, since the Ukrainians feel  a lot closer to Constantinople then Moscow (historically) then they would be more inclined to believe in the intermediary state as opposed to the Russian Toll House beliefs.  By Ukrainians, I don't just mean the official position of one of the Ukrainian Churches but that which the simple folk in the pews tend to believe in.

Also, what about the Carpatho Russians?

Just wondering.

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 08:16:44 PM »

There's nothing particularly Russian about this teaching. You'll hear it from many Greek sources as well, such as Metropolitan Hierotheos (Vlachos) and Elder Ephraim.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 09:53:45 PM »

I've honestly never heard it discussed at my parish.

The only "Toll House" I'm concerned with has the word "Nestle" in front of it and "Cookies" after it!  laugh

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 09:57:42 PM »

How did this "Toll Houses" theory come about anyway?

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 09:57:55 PM »

As a side note, I've honestly never heard toll houses or many of the things discussed here on the 'net discussed in parishes. (Over the years I've been a member of UOC, OCA, and GOA parishes.)

At Coffee Hour, people don't discuss theologoumenons, they discuss things like how to make the best babka or perogie recipes, or in Greek parishes, the best baklava.

Bible Studies and Adult Education classes or usually more focused on the principles of the faith than stuff like this.

It's just not something people worry about, nor should they, since there's no way to prove or disprove the theory.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Get_Behind_Me_Satan
2Cor. 5:15 And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.
Moderated

Jurisdiction: Julian Calender

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 12:14:43 AM »

The only "Toll House" I'm concerned with has the word "Nestle" in front of it and "Cookies" after it!  laugh

Man, you really should read St Maximus the Confessor.

Listen to this blessed man, his words are more precious than rubies:

12. Let us build on the Lord, as though on a foundation of faith, with gold, silver and precious stones, raising a
temple of holiness (cf. 1 Cor. 3:12). Let us build, that is to say, with pure undebased theology, with a way of life
that is lucid and radiant, with divine thoughts and conceptual images more precious than jewels. Let us not use
wood, hay or stubble, that is, idolatry - which is a passionate desire for sensible things - or a meaningless way of
life, or thoughts which are impassioned and as empty of wise understanding as straw.

St Maximos the Confessor Two Hundred Texts on Theology and theIncarnate Dispensation of the Son of God

“The testimonies of the western teachers I neither recognize or accept. I surmise that they are corrupted.
There can be no compromise in matters of the Orthodox Faith.”

St Mark Of Ephesus, Doctor of the church. (True Church)

Down with ecumenism!
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 01:17:01 AM »

Hey, get your own material!

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,2145.msg316872.html#msg316872
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 01:30:55 AM »

I'd like to ask some of my Ukrainian friends if it's common for Ukrainians to believe in Toll Houses

Metropolitan Anthony was the Metropolitan of Kiev.   He was also among the best of the Russian Church's theologians and after the Revolution he became the First Hierarch of the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad.

Asked his opinion about the toll houses, he replied, "The toll houses?  Something the village people might believe in."
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 01:32:59 AM »

Man, you really should read St Maximus the Confessor.

Listen to this blessed man, his words are more precious than rubies:

12. Let us build on the Lord, as though on a foundation of faith, with gold, silver and precious stones, raising a
temple of holiness (cf. 1 Cor. 3:12). Let us build, that is to say, with pure undebased theology, with a way of life
that is lucid and radiant, with divine thoughts and conceptual images more precious than jewels. Let us not use
wood, hay or stubble, that is, idolatry - which is a passionate desire for sensible things - or a meaningless way of
life, or thoughts which are impassioned and as empty of wise understanding as straw.

St Maximos the Confessor Two Hundred Texts on Theology and theIncarnate Dispensation of the Son of God

What is the relevance?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 01:34:38 AM »

They appear in the Romanian folklore,as well, in carols especially and the traditions/folk rituals surrounding burials.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 10:17:08 AM »

Some very learned teachers of the Church have accepted some version of toll-houses, so I would dispute the claim that it's only for "village people". I think the main thing is not to take it too literally.

IreneOlinyk

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox (EP)

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 10:09:47 PM »

I'd like to ask some of my Ukrainian friends if it's common for Ukrainians to believe in Toll Houses or an intermediary state after death?  I figure that, since the Ukrainians feel  a lot closer to Constantinople then Moscow (historically) then they would be more inclined to believe in the intermediary state as opposed to the Russian Toll House beliefs.  By Ukrainians, I don't just mean the official position of one of the Ukrainian Churches but that which the simple folk in the pews tend to believe in.

Just wondering.

The simple answer is no.
tableserver

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 10:44:50 PM »

Our UOC of USA priest did a lecture on Toll Houses last year and most of the people had never head of it before.
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 08:45:26 AM »

I am a Ukrainian and, honestly, I never gave much (or any) thought about toll houses. Just very recently, I read about them on a Russian Orthodox Web site, but there is a whole lot of information there, and it does not say clearly whether it's an official belief of the Church or not.

Love never fails.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 11:53:49 AM »

Never heard of them among the Carpatho-Russians, Rusyns etc... from either the 'old-timers' like my long departed grandparents and their peers or at Church, locally or Diocesan.
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 01:32:49 PM »

I've never heard a word about tollhouses from any of my Ukrainian friends. Usually it's the Russians, or English-speaking ROCOR converts who tend to believe in it, from my limited experience anyhow. I've heard a couple ROCOR priests casually mentioning the tollhouses as if they were real, but I just gasped inwardly and held my peace...

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
yochanan
Arch-laity of the Room of Supreme Awesomeness

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (Catechumen)
Jurisdiction: OMHKSEA (Philippines)

O majestic aurora, how seeming did He fashion you!

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 09:04:21 PM »

Toll-house gate theory is just a theory. It's in the field of Theologoumena. It was never taught as doctrine by the Church of Christ.

"It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us..." (Acts 15: 28)
IreneOlinyk

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2010, 10:15:33 PM »

Our UOC of USA priest did a lecture on Toll Houses last year and most of the people had never head of it before.
Who was the priest?  Maybe he didn't finish seminary and has been on the internet too much.  The parish could inform Metropolitan Anthony about this.
IreneOlinyk

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2010, 10:17:10 PM »

I've never heard a word about tollhouses from any of my Ukrainian friends. Usually it's the Russians, or English-speaking ROCOR converts who tend to believe in it, from my limited experience anyhow. I've heard a couple ROCOR priests casually mentioning the tollhouses as if they were real, but I just gasped inwardly and held my peace...
I heard that it became popular among some ROCOR cpnverts because isabel Hapgood added an article on it in her famous translation of the Liturgy at the beginning of the last century and her work has been re-published repeatedly.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2010, 10:59:27 PM »

As has been said elsewhere, it's not necessarily a Russian thing. You can find the idea in Greek texts as well. Metropolitan Hierotheos Vlachos is one big-name Greek theologian who supports the idea.

xuxana
babygirl

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

i♡ΙΧΘΥΣ!

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2010, 12:40:22 AM »

laugh lolz! that looks so good.

Ephesians 6:10-18
yochanan
Arch-laity of the Room of Supreme Awesomeness

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (Catechumen)
Jurisdiction: OMHKSEA (Philippines)

O majestic aurora, how seeming did He fashion you!

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2010, 04:03:41 AM »

laugh lolz! that looks so good.

bet that's what the demons tempt you with in the toll houses  Wink

"It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us..." (Acts 15: 28)
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2011, 03:48:58 AM »

How did this "Toll Houses" theory come about anyway?

active imaginations... Wink

*runs and hides*
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2011, 03:02:50 PM »

At Coffee Hour, people don't discuss theologoumenons, they discuss things like how to make the best babka or perogie recipes, or in Greek parishes, the best baklava.

At the risk of sounding conceited, I find such discussion to be futile. I make the very best baklava and I am not even Greek, Turkish or Arab.  Grin

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2011, 11:43:08 AM »

I know this is an old thread, but since it has been resurrected recently, I thought I would just mention that some of the oldest surviving icons of the Last Judgment which include a depiction of the tollhouses are from the Ukraine and the Carpathian region.  There may have been older icons with such depictions that may not have survived.  The following icon is from the late 15th – early 16th century and is from the Church of the Nativity of the Virgin in the village of Mshana, Lviv region (Ukraine).  The icon is now in Lviv National Museaum.

In the book “Last Judgment Iconography in the Carpathians”, John-Paul Himka speaks of the Carpathian iconography depicting the tollhouses.  He specifically describes three different ways in which the tollbooths are depicted in Last Judgment iconography, saying “tollbooths of the fifteenth century [Last Judgment icons] were situated on a serpent in the lower centre of the icon…  Another design had emerged early in the sixteenth century… [which] represented the tollbooths as a series of booths stacked one upon another on the right border of the icon…  The third design first appeared on Dolyna, an icon from the 1560s.  It depicts a zigzag road with tollbooths at every turn in the road.”  He goes on to say, “Within our region there does not seem to be a geographical correlation at all for the different types of tollbooths.  The serpent tollbooths were to be found also in Russia, the booths-style tollbooths only in the Carpathian region  and Romanian Maramures, and the zigzag tollbooths in the Carpathian region.”

http://books.google.com/books?id=uMDsdb1kps0C&q=toll#v=snippet&q=tollbooths&f=false

So, depictions of the tollhouses in iconography can be found in the Carpathian region just as in the Ukraine, Russia, Romania, etc. 
Tags: toll houses 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: