OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 26, 2014, 03:36:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: a very important question  (Read 1238 times) Average Rating: 0
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« on: September 16, 2011, 02:49:37 PM »

So all these folks debating about seats in the Orthodox Church....are these people pewgilists?

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 02:53:33 PM »

Cheesy on the pun.

For the record, Pews are absolute heresy.  I would take both the Pope's slipper and the Sultan's scimitar over vile pews.  Unfortunately, they are just so comfortable during a long Liturgy...
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 02:57:42 PM »

Cheesy

I'm against pews until sometime around Communion. I can't receive yet so I'm on my feet for infinity hours. Then I'm all for pews, man.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 02:57:57 PM by IsmiLiora » Logged

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 03:05:06 PM »

During my last visit to Ukraine, I told a number of Ukrainian Orthodox priests (canonical ones) that Orthodox churches in the USA have pews. They said: "Really? Good for you guys." And when I said that some Orthodox in the USA engage in long and serious debates on the subject of pews, they laughed.

Love never fails.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 03:07:29 PM »

Cheesy

I'm against pews until sometime around Communion. I can't receive yet so I'm on my feet for infinity hours. Then I'm all for pews, man.

Does your church do the dismissal of the Catechumens still?  Ours does, but our Priest always did the "Catechumens depart, let none remain" part in Slavonic so out Cat didn't understand and just stayed through the whole service.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 03:12:17 PM »

Cheesy

Does your church do the dismissal of the Catechumens still?  Ours does, but our Priest always did the "Catechumens depart, let none remain" part in Slavonic so out Cat didn't understand and just stayed through the whole service.

Mine doesn't. I go through everything except walk forward for communion itself. The prayers, etc before and after I do right along with everyone.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 03:35:21 PM »

Cheesy

Mine doesn't. I go through everything except walk forward for communion itself. The prayers, etc before and after I do right along with everyone.

PP
Same here. My priest tells the people who are receiving the Communion to recite the prayers, so I just read along. I try to recite other prayers silently during that time, but my feet start screaming and I lose focus too easily.

--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 06:46:02 PM »

Cheesy

PP
Same here. My priest tells the people who are receiving the Communion to recite the prayers, so I just read along. I try to recite other prayers silently during that time, but my feet start screaming and I lose focus too easily.
I asked my priest should I be doing everything and he told me, "Well, you join us to the degree that you want to, except for communion. That'll be later. If you want to do this, I would'nt stop you." I really appreciated him leaving it up to me. Something tells me that it wont happen much longer as my becoming a Catechumen is right around the corner  Cheesy

PP

Gregory the Great
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

Mzack.

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 06:58:01 PM »

Pews have a very important purpose. Let's say you're about to do prostrations, for example. There's no way you'll have enough room if you have pews, so by having the pews you limit the number of people who show up to the service, therefore you don't need as much space. If you had more pews more people would show up more, in which case you wouldn't have enough space, but if you had no pews you'd have more people than ever, which will get too crowded. Then people would be prostrating in the foyer and stuff.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 06:59:02 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 08:35:47 PM »

Cheesy

PP

I thought you were worshipping in a Western Rite parish?

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 11:40:26 AM »

Cheesy

PP

I do worship at a WR parish. There's no slavonic or anything like that. After Matins we go straight into the DL. I do the entire liturgy and when folks go forward for communion, I go foward and get a blessing.

PP

Gregory the Great
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 11:49:54 AM »

A newer Orthodox parish that still needs the icons painted on the walls.  Very nice pews, they considered foot rests for comfort but the parish council couldn't agree on it so they just put them in as is.

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 01:13:40 PM »

Of course, God can be worshiped in all places....from large cathedrals to plain desert caves.

However, that photo just doesn't lend itself to my definition of worship.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2011, 05:35:46 PM »

Cheesy

PP

I do worship at a WR parish. There's no slavonic or anything like that. After Matins we go straight into the DL. I do the entire liturgy and when folks go forward for communion, I go foward and get a blessing.

PP

I didn't realise there is a dismissal of the catechumens in the Western Liturgy.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 06:10:11 PM »

A newer Orthodox parish that still needs the icons painted on the walls.  Very nice pews, they considered foot rests for comfort but the parish council couldn't agree on it so they just put them in as is.

I'm glad they're keeping the main thing, the main thing.  Tongue
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 11:29:12 AM »

Cheesy

PP

PP

I didn't realise there is a dismissal of the catechumens in the Western Liturgy.
I didn't either. I've not seen it yet.

PP

Gregory the Great
Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 12:08:01 PM »

That may as well be a Baptist church. That Church definitely needs some holy images.
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2011, 12:24:57 PM »

The congregation I attend is too small for its own church proper, so we meet in a private home that has liturgy in the living room. No pews there, but the younger kids seem to enjoy crawling around on the sofa...until mom comes over and yells at them, or grandma comes over and makes her granddaughter put on a headscarf, which is apparently the universal sign for "playtime is over" in the Coptic church (my Arabic isn't great, but that look from grandma is universal).

I like this system. Nobody has to have arguments about pews. I'm told that most Coptic churches in the USA have pews, though, so I guess this is not such a hot issue for Copts in the West (maybe because a lot of the buildings are purchased from Protestants or Catholics, so the layout is already established).

As I remember, the OCA church back home in California had no pews, but easily movable chairs when necessary (such as during the yearly presentations on Byzantine chant or Orthodox icons during the Glendi festival, that always attracted a lot of non-Orthodox), and the traditional bench along the wall for the elderly and infirm. I like this system, too. If we had a dedicated church building here in Albuquerque, I would want it to be like this. I don't think the pews in that picture would lend themselves to attentive worship. Isn't that what the debate over pews really boils down to?

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Mzack.

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2011, 12:26:53 PM »

I don't think the pews in that picture would lend themselves to attentive worship.

Why not? Those pews look quite comfortable to me...  Huh
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2011, 12:38:28 PM »

This whole debate is rather childish and pew-erile.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 12:39:03 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2011, 12:45:23 PM »

These jokes are pew-trid....

PP

Gregory the Great
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2011, 12:47:57 PM »

PP
Hey, you started it.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2011, 01:32:13 PM »

PP
Hey, you started it.
I was going to make a joke about pewter but I subconciously smacked myself...yeah, Im done :0

PP

Gregory the Great
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2011, 01:40:29 PM »

Hey, but these funny pew threads are pew and far between.

--
--
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Mzack.

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2011, 01:41:15 PM »

P-ew *holds nose* are the jokes getting bad in here...
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2011, 01:50:33 PM »

For these jokes, we should be pew-nished.

PP

Gregory the Great
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2011, 01:58:05 PM »

« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 01:59:04 PM by Iconodule » Logged

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Taxiarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2011, 02:18:36 PM »

That may as well be a Baptist church. That Church definitely needs some holy images.

I wonder what the altar looks like in that church.

St. Nectarios Greek Orthodox Shrine and Church in Covina, California looks similar to that church, except that I do not recall those pew [bgcolor=#ff0900]cushions[/bgcolor]. How comfortable can one get? Sheesh!

St. Nectarios does not have any choir loft as the choir stands on the right side (by the Icon of Christ).
While the baptistry is on the right side near where the choir stands, the shrine to St. Nectarios is on the left.

Perhaps these two churches utilized the same architectural firm.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2011, 03:06:58 PM »

St. Nectarios Greek Orthodox Shrine and Church in Covina, California looks similar to that church, except that I do not recall those pew [bgcolor=#ff0900]cushions[/bgcolor]. How comfortable can one get? Sheesh!

St. Nectarios does not have any choir loft as the choir stands on the right side (by the Icon of Christ).
While the baptistry is on the right side near where the choir stands, the shrine to St. Nectarios is on the left.

Well, I hope at least the altar is taller than a lili-pew-tian...ok now Im really done.

PP

Gregory the Great
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2011, 03:15:34 PM »

A newer Orthodox parish that still needs the icons painted on the walls.  Very nice pews, they considered foot rests for comfort but the parish council couldn't agree on it so they just put them in as is.

St. Nectarios Greek Orthodox Shrine and Church in Covina, California looks similar to that church, except that I do not recall those pew cushions. How comfortable can one get? Sheesh!

Well, I hope at least the altar is taller than a lili-pew-tian...ok now Im really done.

PP

Yes, at St. Nectarios, the iconostasis and the altar are awesome. Just before the consecration of St. Nectarios around 2005, all the altar icons were installed. The Baptistry and the Shrine to St. Nectarios have had their iconography completed too. It is really beautiful. The exterior of the church resembles one found in Greece.

Edited to add: I corrected the tag links in my first post quoted above.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 03:17:05 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
NightOwl
High Elder

« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2011, 07:43:03 PM »

I'm pretty sure it's a joke  Wink. It's a sample picture from a consulting service for seating equipment, nothing to indicate that they're from an Orthodox church  Tongue. http://www.shakespeareassociates.com/ChurchPewsChoralRisers.htm
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 07:44:12 PM by AndrewR » Logged
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2011, 12:14:14 AM »

Good catch.

Nevertheless, St. Nectarios has a similar arrangement of seating. However, the lighting is different.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: