Author Topic: My 1st Fast  (Read 918 times)

Offline Knytshade

• Newly Illumined 1-1-11
  • Beloved Michael: my patron--I thank God for you!
My 1st Fast
« on: February 21, 2010, 12:04:12 AM »
Treasured friends,

Father didn't have me fast during Nativity, but I did ask him at class a couple days ago what he'd recommend b/c I wanted (felt like I needed) to be doing -something-.  So, atop from praying / repentence and a few other things, he's starting me off slow and gradual (baby steps):  no meat at all and no fish on Wed. & Fri.   There is also yet another thing, one I feel that is bigger than perhaps even that, and thought about for awhile that I thought might make a good thing to do during Lent.

I asked Father if I could try to quit smoking for Lent---I know for a 100% fact that that will require a lot out of me and it will not be easy.  He's advised me to pray to the Lord for strength and thinks it will be very good for me. 

I just smoked my last one about 30 minutes ago (I finished off the last pack in the carton I had bought a week prior, so wanted to get them all done so they are not in my house), so now it begins and I am looking forward, hopeful this will help me not only understand Lent and its' meaning, but to also help me grow as a human being and draw closer to the Lord as I continue with my catechumenate.

Friends, I know the Lord says to not draw any attention to yourself when you are fasting, and I am not trying to (and I most certainly hope it doesn't appear that way!), but this is my first (guess you could say) 'real' one, so it is like a brand new thing for me and therefore, a lot of uncharted waters so to speak.  By this all I really wish to do is humbly ask for your prayers for the necessary strength to see this through as I very much want it to.

Thank you for listening to me--it means a lot. :)

In Christ,
Michaela (Karen)
"If you leave me free in my religion, I will be very eager to carry out your commands. But if you try to force me to change my faith, I will first surrender my head. I was born a Christian and a Christian I shall die."

--St. John the Russian to his Turkish master

Offline Schultz

• Christian. Guitarist. Scooterist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
  • Taxiarches
  • Scion of the McKeesport Becks.
Re: My 1st Fast
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 12:09:09 AM »
Dear Sister in Christ,

I know how hard this is; I still "steal" a smoke every now and then after "quitting" a few years ago.

Lord, have mercy on your handmaiden!
"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 12:38:23 AM »
Lord, have mercy upon Thy handmaiden!

Quitin' ain't easy, that's for sure.  It took me about six months, but it's been nearly 10 years!  You can do it, sister!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 12:38:41 AM by GabrieltheCelt »
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
  • O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 01:34:58 AM »
Lord have mercy!
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11

Offline ozgeorge

• I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
  • Hoplitarches
  • My plans for retirement.
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 04:45:11 AM »
Lord have mercy and be your Help.
If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Scarecrow is watching you
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 05:43:21 PM »
Lord, have mercy!

Offline Heorhij

• Merarches
    • Mississippi University for Women
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 05:51:41 PM »
Lord, have mercy!
Love never fails.

Offline Knytshade

• Newly Illumined 1-1-11
  • Beloved Michael: my patron--I thank God for you!
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 08:48:45 PM »
I'd like to say 'thank you' to everyone for your prayers. 

I kinda cheated today, after going only 2 days w/out any real trouble.  I feel terrible and ashamed, but then I got to thinking-- 'this is Lent:  it's about moderation, repentence, forgiveness, & prayer right?'.  Well, I ain't gonna stop, and I am not sure how Father will react, but I kind of feel a bit on the weak side b/c I didn't hold out longer than I thought I could--I am -really- determined to make this work:  I want to do this because it -is- a challenge and would make a difference in me & require a lot of personal sacrifice, but I perhaps underestimated just how challenging and powerful it was and have allowed my own pride to get into the way here, and for that, I am truly ashamed.  Perhaps I am expecting too much of myself?!  ???

I do not mean to pour myself out like this and believe me I've been praying about this off-n-on all day nor is this me making excuses:  I know what I have done and I accept the responsibility and consequences for my actions--is probably why I feel so terrible.   I'm sorry to ramble on like this but I wanted to thank everyone--the prayers -do- mean a lot!
"If you leave me free in my religion, I will be very eager to carry out your commands. But if you try to force me to change my faith, I will first surrender my head. I was born a Christian and a Christian I shall die."

--St. John the Russian to his Turkish master

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 12:20:27 AM »
Lord have Mercy.

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 12:25:15 AM »
God will help you through it.  He's helping me quit right now too, and it's happening gradually over many months.  I still have nights where I snap and have one, but overall I've managed to avoid them most days.

Lord, have mercy and help your handmaiden!

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 11:43:06 PM »
Lord, have mercy!
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Lauren_Elisse

• Elder
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 01:35:12 AM »
May the Lord have mercy on you and provide you with strength and guidance.
Psalms 23:6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.