OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 08:31:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arabic Chant CDs  (Read 3595 times) Average Rating: 0
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« on: February 18, 2010, 11:51:06 PM »

Point me to your favorite ones.  I'm open to whatever.
Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 01:25:29 AM »

Lots of good ones in Tasbeeha.org. For Free! Get the cd by the Ensemble David, also the one on Coptic Hymns in Arabic "Ati Betebi". Really good.

I am NOT a representative of the ACOE. Ignore my posts
wynd
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

Transfiguration

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 01:39:23 AM »

My favorite: http://kelfar.net/orthodoxiaradio/Catalog/CD_Arb1.html
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 07:49:14 AM »

Btw, Alveus Lacuna, have you found any Finnish Chant CDs?
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 12:55:51 AM »

Btw, Alveus Lacuna, have you found any Finnish Chant CDs?

Nope.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 01:31:55 AM »

Are you referring to any style of chant in the Arabic language or some particular style of chant you are referring to as "Arabic chant"?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 01:35:03 AM »

Not Arabic, but this was an amazing Chant CD:

http://www.amazon.com/Chant-Wars-Sequentia-Benjamin-Bagby/dp/B000B6ALWU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1266816524&sr=1-1

the Lament on the Death of Charlemagne was my favorite part.

also:

http://www.amazon.com/Perotin-Hilliard-Ensemble/dp/B000025ZXO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1266816593&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Divine-Liturgy-St-John-Chrysostom/dp/B0000260SW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1266816649&sr=1-1

this is great stuff.

Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 01:35:03 AM »

Great Arabic Chant:

http://www.amazon.com/Chant-Maronite/dp/B000XQHQXA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1266816725&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Chants-sacr%C3%A9s-lOrient-tradition-melchite/dp/B00005B6RY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1266816725&sr=1-4

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 10:39:18 AM »

The Byzantine chant CD's by Sr. Marie Keyrouz are phenomenal. She's a "Byzantine Catholic" but the performances are, as far as I can tell, very authentic.

I also really like the Nativity album by the Mt Lebanon Choir (Church of Antioch).
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 10:40:17 AM by Iconodule » Logged

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 01:42:01 AM »

Considering that Arab Christianity was very anti-byzantine it is to be expected.

SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 08:53:30 PM »

The Byzantine chant CD's by Sr. Marie Keyrouz are phenomenal. She's a "Byzantine Catholic" but the performances are, as far as I can tell, very authentic.

I will go against the consensus and say that as remarkable as her high soprano voice is, it is that very quality and range that really make her voice unsuited to Byzantine chant (I will commit sacrilege further and say that neither is the voice of Fairuz; Um Kulthoum's alto would have been much more fitting).  If you would like to hear Sr. Marie's voice working in a more appropriate musical setting, listen to Ensemble Organum's recording of Milanese Ambrosian chant.

I also really like the Nativity album by the Mt Lebanon Choir (Church of Antioch).

I'll recommend for you their Arabic recording of the Divine Liturgy, but I don't think Subdeacon Kareem il-Far is selling any more copies from his website.
Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 10:38:10 PM »

Thanks for the tip on the Mount Lebanon choir. Will check out.

ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 03:00:19 AM »

Have a listen to this. Don't let the title influence you..first have a listen.

http://www.amazon.com/Chant-LEglise-Rome-Old-Roman/dp/B001GDJ9IE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1267685740&sr=1-3

Click on "listen to samples"

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 05:40:58 AM »

http://www.amazon.com/Chant-LEglise-Rome-Old-Roman/dp/B001GDJ9IE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1267685740&sr=1-3

If recordings by Marcel Peres' Ensemble Organum interest you, Callixtinus' Youtube channel is recommended:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Callixtinus

Good samples of Byzantine chant as well.
jydeacon
ΙΙδιακον

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Love the Lord your God with all your strength

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 12:37:13 PM »

There is also coptichymns.net that has some arabic chants as well. and as was mentioned Tasbeha.org has a lot, but not everything is considered a "chant" per se, but could simply be spiritual songs that are sang in meetings outside of liturgical services.

ΙΙδιακον
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2010, 05:53:02 PM »

If recordings by Marcel Peres' Ensemble Organum interest you, Callixtinus' Youtube channel is recommended:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Callixtinus

Good samples of Byzantine chant as well.
Yes, he has an extensive list of Mozarabic chant.

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2010, 01:10:46 PM »

I will go against the consensus and say that as remarkable as her high soprano voice is, it is that very quality and range that really make her voice unsuited to Byzantine chant (I will commit sacrilege further and say that neither is the voice of Fairuz; Um Kulthoum's alto would have been much more fitting).  If you would like to hear Sr. Marie's voice working in a more appropriate musical setting, listen to Ensemble Organum's recording of Milanese Ambrosian chant.

LOL, can you just imagine Um Kulthoum chanting the ison!

I gotta disagree about Fairuz, to me there's is nothing more moving than her singing/chanting "Today is Hung Upon the Tree". But, thats just my opinion. Grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSbbddgeWy4

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2010, 03:25:40 PM »

Though a nun of the Melkites (or Maronite, can't remember which), Sister Marie Keyrouz' recordings, I believe, are exceptional. 

They are available on the Harmonia Mundi label.  Some of the titles include:

Chant Byzantin
Chants d' Orient

Check them out.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2010, 03:26:57 PM »

I believe that the Mt. Lebanon Choir and the School of Ecclesiastical Music are one and the same organization (I think SEM is officially credited on the Byzantine Hymns of Nativity in Arabic CD).  Still, pick up anything from these guys (they also have some English recordings, including the Divine Liturgy).

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2010, 12:40:23 PM »

I'll recommend for you their {SEM's} Arabic recording of the Divine Liturgy, but I don't think Subdeacon Kareem il-Far is selling any more copies from his website.

I believe that the recording can still be purchased through the choir's very website (on how to pay).  However, through a certain Cypriot blog, I've found a link to where you can freely download the entire thing.  Go here, and if you like what you hear consider buying it.

Nazarene
High Elder

Faith: Judaism
Jurisdiction: Messianic

David ben Yessai

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2010, 07:11:12 PM »

I will go against the consensus and say that as remarkable as her high soprano voice is, it is that very quality and range that really make her voice unsuited to Byzantine chant (I will commit sacrilege further and say that neither is the voice of Fairuz; Um Kulthoum's alto would have been much more fitting).  If you would like to hear Sr. Marie's voice working in a more appropriate musical setting, listen to Ensemble Organum's recording of Milanese Ambrosian chant.

LOL, I think Um Kulthoum could've nailed any type of chant.

Here's a site with a whole bunch of albums: http://www.orthodoxsongs.org/
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 07:25:55 PM by Nazarene » Logged
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2010, 06:51:39 PM »

I will go against the consensus and say that as remarkable as her high soprano voice is, it is that very quality and range that really make her voice unsuited to Byzantine chant (I will commit sacrilege further and say that neither is the voice of Fairuz; Um Kulthoum's alto would have been much more fitting).  If you would like to hear Sr. Marie's voice working in a more appropriate musical setting, listen to Ensemble Organum's recording of Milanese Ambrosian chant.

You now what...you guys are absolutely correct, mea culpa!

Its from listening to Fairuz's that I was first introduced to Byzantine Chant, so I have a soft spot for her.  But Umm Kathum (Om Kalsoum) is indeed a class all her own.

Nazarene, are there any similar Jewish cantors you could introduce me to? Most of what I've heard is more Western sounding, are the ancient chants still preserved?

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Nazarene
High Elder

David ben Yessai

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2010, 07:01:10 PM »

Look for Yemenite chants. Their chanting is verrrrry eastern and they chant every line in Hebrew, Aramaic and Arabic, eg: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh5Zok4yUWQ. Also try this website: http://www.nosachteiman.co.il/ (tip, use google chrome browser which has google translate built in). Will give you more sources when I find them.

I would say that the Yemenite chant represents the most primitive Jewish chant, also their Tanakh texts are considered the purest and most accurate.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 07:14:46 PM by Nazarene » Logged
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2010, 01:40:21 AM »

Taymohneem (as they would pronounce it--as in Western Syriac and in the Arabic of speakers from Lebanese Tripoli, their 'ah's are 'oh's) are tops in the chant and elocution department.  In a better world, in which they could enjoy high and primary media prominence they would have succeeded in claiming back for us a Semitic language the pronunciation of which as perceived through popular media by global public consciousness in this world has been mangled beyond all recognition such that the ears of Arabic speakers no longer have the ability to recognise the existence of any linguistic kinship in the same family between the two tongues.  The other Mizraheem also pronounce the emphatics properly thank the Heavens (though the Yemenite phonetic vowel system is quite different from theirs, with the Yemenites also employing the full range of the begad kepat) though unfortunately Sephardic influence has deformed the waw of Bilaad ish-Shaam Mizrahim and turned it into the laughable, annoying, ear-grating vav, sullying as integral a word as the conjunctive waw il-`atif shared in common by Hebrew, Aramaic, and Arabic at the least.

Nice to see you know JubanTeyman's channel; he has quality recordings, but they come with a habit of being quite few and sometimes even disappearing after a while.  I remember his other videos from when was still under the 'deen' username.  

« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 01:44:23 AM by SamB » Logged
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2010, 01:52:31 AM »

Its from listening to Fairuz's that I was first introduced to Byzantine Chant, so I have a soft spot for her.

Fairuz' classic recording of Holy Week hymns has been known throughout the Middle East a good time now and an entire generation grew up listening to it being played during Easter--in Damascus you would always hear the recording sound out from within the houses while walking the streets--and so for nostalgia's sake, I always kept a soft spot for it, but at a certain age and if you are someone familiar with how Byzantine chant ought to sound, you might sadly realise that it doesn't really work all that well with Fairuz, and hey, isn't that a violin being played with 'mubaarakun Anta yaa Rab'?  Astaghfirul-Laah! Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 01:56:42 AM by SamB » Logged
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2010, 02:04:30 AM »

BTW, a very short sample of one of the hymns from that recording has probably been heard throughout the world.  Listen to the background in Madonna's Erotica from the album of the same name.  Thanks for nothing, material girl, eh?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 02:15:25 AM by SamB » Logged
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2010, 03:13:36 AM »

Back to Hebrew though, the two extremes of the spectrum:

Ashkenazi Hebrew (with a hint of American accent):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q9Q7AFZlS4

Yemenite Hebrew (skip directly to 7:05)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP9RKfU7hJA
Nazarene
High Elder

David ben Yessai

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2010, 03:49:17 AM »

Back to Hebrew though, the two extremes of the spectrum:

Ashkenazi Hebrew (with a hint of American accent):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q9Q7AFZlS4

Yemenite Hebrew (skip directly to 7:05)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP9RKfU7hJA

Like chalk and cheese, nuff said. Ashkenazi Hebrew is my least favourite, I especially hate the way they end words with "os" (Shabbos, Haftaros, etc.), aaarrgghhhh! And I hear you regarding the "vav" (igh), "waw" is the more ancient pronunciation.

I also remember some of JubanTeyman's older videos, I particularly liked his chanting of Genesis 1-5, I wish he kept that clip up. His "Song of the Sea" clip is also awesome, but I wish he would put some more up.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 03:54:20 AM by Nazarene » Logged
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2010, 04:13:38 AM »

Like chalk and cheese, nuff said. Ashkenazi Hebrew is my least favourite, I especially hate the way they end words with "os" (Shabbos, Haftaros, etc.), aaarrgghhhh!

Cheesy The amusing thing is that the reflex they have that turns the taw absent the dagesh into an 's', is one of the few idiosyncracies they have that can be found in the speech of some Middle Easterners (Northern Levantine vernacular Arabic has it--hence a Syrian with a heavy accent would say to you 'sank you'), the other being the 'ah's turned 'oh's just like what you have with the Yemenites.

And I hear you regarding the "vav" (igh), "waw" is the more ancient pronunciation.

Why does everybody get these v/w distinctions all wrong?  Grin A Semitic 'w' is made into an awful 'v', while in Greek and Latin as taught in most places the necessary 'v' is turned into a flacid 'w'; as someone I know would say it, can you imagine Julius Caesar speaking before his soldiers and saying weni widi wici without them convulsing with laughter?

I also remember some of JubanTeyman's older videos, I particularly liked his chanting of Genesis 1-5, I wish he kept that clip up. His "Song of the Sea" clip is also awesome, but I wish he would put some more up.

When he resurfaced with the new account, he did put up a new version of the Berisheet video with Arabic text from a different Tafseer; he removed that video himself not long after, and his old Song of the Sea had only Hebrew and Aramaic.  I wonder what reason he had to trim down his work.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 04:18:57 AM by SamB » Logged
Miro

Jurisdiction: Coptic

All i want is jesus

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2010, 06:17:33 AM »

thanks for the site ..awsome !

No secret to success,result of:
LEARNING FRM FAILURE
GOOD PREPRATION
HARDWORK
Only dead fish swim downstream !!are you dead? no so dont let stream kill you
All good is hard,All evil is easy.DyingLosingCheatingMediocrity is easy.Stay away from easy
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2010, 09:17:16 PM »

Look for Yemenite chants. Their chanting is verrrrry eastern and they chant every line in Hebrew, Aramaic and Arabic, eg: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh5Zok4yUWQ. Also try this website: http://www.nosachteiman.co.il/ (tip, use google chrome browser which has google translate built in). Will give you more sources when I find them.

I would say that the Yemenite chant represents the most primitive Jewish chant, also their Tanakh texts are considered the purest and most accurate.

Thank you!

CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2010, 09:30:13 PM »

but at a certain age and if you are someone familiar with how Byzantine chant ought to sound, you might sadly realise that it doesn't really work all that well with Fairuz,

Agreed.

and hey, isn't that a violin being played with 'mubaarakun Anta yaa Rab'?  Astaghfirul-Laah! Cheesy

LOL, very true!

CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2010, 09:30:34 PM »

Not an Arabic CD, but Al-Orthodoxiya Radio Station is quite good.

http://www.orthodoxiya.org/

CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2010, 09:33:07 PM »

thanks for the site ..awsome !

Ditto that!

Tags: music 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: