OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 07:21:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mississippians Go to Church the Most; Vermonters, the Least  (Read 1673 times) Average Rating: 0
Eugenio
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I love them all

« on: February 18, 2010, 07:11:26 PM »

According to Gallup:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/125999/Mississippians-Go-Church-Most-Vermonters-Least.aspx?CSTS=alert

I'd say this bodes very bad news for the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese, as its largest numbers are centered in the least religious region of the U.S.
Jake C
Catechumen

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Diocese of Wichita and Mid-America

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 11:09:41 PM »

Holy cow, only 50% here in Texas?! If I had a dollar for every church I pass simply on the way to my Orthodox church, I'd be able to buy a lobster dinner (Only outside of fasting season, of course). Wink

Blessed art Thou, O Lord, teach me Thy statutes.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 11:12:54 PM »

Not necessarily. Just because the general church-going population in the area is low doesn't mean that the population of Eastern Orthodox who go to church is low.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 11:16:25 PM »

^LoL at the above!

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 12:26:38 AM »

Holy cow, only 50% here in Texas?! If I had a dollar for every church I pass simply on the way to my Orthodox church, I'd be able to buy a lobster dinner (Only outside of fasting season, of course). Wink

Now why would you give up lobster during the fast? You just can't dip it in butter Wink

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 12:54:41 AM »

2). As for Iowa, there was no vote taken on whether the state should legalize it. Instead, the state supreme court legalized it for us, since its members are soooooo much smarter than the rest of the general voting public.

None the less, my case was made as it was recognized that Iowa is a state that has legalized same sex marriage and it also has a relatively high church attendance rate, rendering this fellow's statement completely idiotic.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 01:38:00 AM »

Is this another one of these polls which is supposed to prove that Southerners are the anointed of God and so much more rightouse then the evil Northeasterners and their wicked, big city ways.

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 01:43:52 AM »

Is this another one of these polls which is supposed to prove that Southerners are the anointed of God and so much more rightouse then the evil Northeasterners and their wicked, big city ways.

There are such polls?
Robb
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 02:00:30 AM »

It's just that polls like this always attempt to make southern Americans out to be some type of super religious zealots and portray northeasterners as secular elitist.  I'm tired of all this trash talk about my region.  There are plenty of people in the northeast who go to church on a regular basis and identify with a religious faith.  This just never seems to come out in these so called polls (which are probably run by southerners). 

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 02:09:32 AM »

It's just that polls like this always attempt to make southern Americans out to be some type of super religious zealots and portray northeasterners as secular elitist.  I'm tired of all this trash talk about my region.  There are plenty of people in the northeast who go to church on a regular basis and identify with a religious faith.  This just never seems to come out in these so called polls (which are probably run by southerners).  

Well, I guess I have a different take, that the polls were designed to portray northeasterners as rational and reasonable people and southerners as religious nut-cases. The truth is, there are plenty of good non-religious people in the South, they're just overshadowed by the crazies. And there are plenty of crazies in the northeast, these polls just leave out the new age spiritualists and other metaphysical-believing people who are just as problematic as the church-goers to artificially make the northeast look more advanced and civilized than they really are.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 02:09:57 AM by GiC » Logged

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Robb
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 02:39:07 AM »

So you don't think that there are any practicing Christians in the Northeast?  Every church I go to is full on Sundays so somebody must be believing.

-- Gustave Flaubert
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 02:40:30 AM »

So you don't think that there are any practicing Christians in the Northeast?  Every church I go to is full on Sundays so somebody must be believing.

Of course there are, they're just not as statistically significant relative to the general population...and that's what polls measure. There's no hidden agenda involved, it's just how things are.

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 03:00:16 AM »

It's just that polls like this always attempt to make southern Americans out to be some type of super religious zealots and portray northeasterners as secular elitist.  I'm tired of all this trash talk about my region.  There are plenty of people in the northeast who go to church on a regular basis and identify with a religious faith.  This just never seems to come out in these so called polls (which are probably run by southerners).  
Here's my take:  These polls are conducted for reasons totally irrelevant to what you might think, and you're merely projecting your own shoulder chip into them.  This is not part of any conspiracy to make the South look superior to the rest of the U.S.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 03:00:48 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 04:54:29 AM »

Well, I guess I have a different take, that the polls were designed to portray northeasterners as rational and reasonable people and southerners as religious nut-cases. The truth is, there are plenty of good non-religious people in the South, they're just overshadowed by the crazies. And there are plenty of crazies in the northeast,
of course, they are the ones running the place.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 09:16:53 AM »

As someone who lives in Mississippi and teaches at a small university where the vast majority of students are Southern Baptists, I can testify that here, going to church is a deeply ingrained cultural habit, like having manners, saying Sir and Maham and "She is such a ..., bless her heart."  Grin

Love never fails.
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 10:30:09 AM »

As someone who lives in Mississippi and teaches at a small university where the vast majority of students are Southern Baptists, I can testify that here, going to church is a deeply ingrained cultural habit, like having manners, saying Sir and Maham and "She is such a ..., bless her heart."  Grin

I grew up in the South.  I found that while a lot of people attended church of some kind, the amount of real religious sentiment behind it was surprisingly low.  People would go out of pressure from family members or other social obligation - like you said, a deeply ingrained cultural habit.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 10:30:49 AM by Orual » Logged

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
Jake C
Catechumen

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 12:53:01 PM »

Now why would you give up lobster during the fast? You just can't dip it in butter Wink

Because I'll be darned if I'm eating it without the butter! Tongue

Jake C
Catechumen

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 01:03:25 PM »

As someone who lives in Mississippi and teaches at a small university where the vast majority of students are Southern Baptists, I can testify that here, going to church is a deeply ingrained cultural habit, like having manners, saying Sir and Maham and "She is such a ..., bless her heart."  Grin

I grew up in the South.  I found that while a lot of people attended church of some kind, the amount of real religious sentiment behind it was surprisingly low.  People would go out of pressure from family members or other social obligation - like you said, a deeply ingrained cultural habit.

Exactly. It drives me nuts that my old Baptist church funds missionaries to go proselytize the (predominantly) Orthodox Russians, claiming that Russia was a nation of lost people because "everyone is just a nominal Christian". Even when I was a Baptist I used to look at that and say, "Look around you!" I've never believed in "Once Saved, Always Saved" (I know, I was terrible at being Baptist, because I rejected a doctrine I didn't see anywhere in Scripture), so maybe that has something to do with my annoyance; I felt it was extremely hypocritical.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2010, 02:01:52 PM »

According to Gallup:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/125999/Mississippians-Go-Church-Most-Vermonters-Least.aspx?CSTS=alert

I'd say this bodes very bad news for the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese, as its largest numbers are centered in the least religious region of the U.S.

I dunno.. It seems to me that this indicates that Americans are extraordinarily religious. If only 1/3 of a States population goes to Church every week ( or nearly so) you are at the back of the pack. This goes right up to States where a majority go every week...

Those are high numbers especially when you factor in believers who just go once in awhile or just Christmas and Easter. But they do believe. And then there are religious people not likely to answer a question about going to "Church" since they are Jews or Buddhists etc.

This is not good news for the atheists, agnostics and skeptics.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Robb
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2010, 05:25:50 PM »

Just because a person doesn't go to Church every week consecutively does not mean that they are atheist or irreligious (If that were the case then a whole lot of Orthodox would be lumped in as unbelievers).  Yea, it would be nice if more people went every week but a lot of religions, even Christian Churches do not require their members to attend every week (even if they don't preach it as an official doctrine, it's sort of an understanding amongst some Churches that weekly Church attendance is not a requirement for membership). 

-- Gustave Flaubert
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2010, 05:32:29 PM »

I suspect the hidden variable in this is that Mississippi is one of the blackest states in the union, and that the black subculture is much stronger in its church-going than the country as a whole.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2010, 10:45:07 PM »

The posts in violation of our moratorium on discussion of homosexuality, together with the admonitions from other posters regarding said violations, have been split into the aptly-titled Another Thread in Violation of our Moratorium on Discussion of Homosexuality. Please regard our moratorium, which lasts until Pentecost. Anyone who discusses homosexuality before then will receive a public warning, whether you brought up the subject or continued it.

--YtterbiumAnalyst

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: