OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 08:55:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I Am New -- Question  (Read 1532 times) Average Rating: 0
Tatia

Faith: Christian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romania

« on: February 18, 2010, 02:31:09 AM »

I am from Romania living here in US. I am Orthodox and was lately told by fundamental Baptist I will go to hell if I don't convert. My question is why I need to change religion for others. Also I have been bothered by this other group Mormons who pressure me and they wear odd underwear and have many wives.
Why is it in the US it is so difficult to be what we are, who we are, and to live as we are?
I was told this place was freedom but religious ones ring my doorbell and bother me.
Why do I get no peace here because of those on the doorbell?
I am begin to get very frustrated.
Tatia
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 02:34:30 AM »

Why is it in the US it is so difficult to be what we are, who we are, and to live as we are?

Welcome to the forum.  The reason you can get no peace is because America is a religious free-market, and anything goes here (not that I can complain too loudly, as I've been doing some shopping myself Wink).

All that you can do is pray more and try to learn more about your faith to fight off pernicious heresies.
Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 02:51:22 AM »

Also I have been bothered by this other group Mormons who pressure me and they wear odd underwear and have many wives.

You DARE question the holy underwear?  Grin

I am NOT a representative of the ACOE. Ignore my posts
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 03:03:55 AM »

I am from Romania living here in US. I am Orthodox and was lately told by fundamental Baptist I will go to hell if I don't convert. My question is why I need to change religion for others. Also I have been bothered by this other group Mormons who pressure me and they wear odd underwear and have many wives.
I was told this place was freedom but religious ones ring my doorbell and bother me.
Why do I get no peace here because of those on the doorbell?
I am begin to get very frustrated.
Tatia

Welcome to America!  Grin

What you find frustrating about this country is what I actually love about this country! In order to survive in some regions of this country, you have to know what you believe and why. So now is a good time to study up, pray up, and prepare yourself .........for what you find as being  frustrating is here to stay.

It's not going anywhere, and so, if you don't like being seen as red meat......then study up......educate yourself about the Faith. It will do you good in the long run..........either that or stay in the house and Church all day......with no contact with the outside world.

America is a dog eat dog / survival of the fittest type of place.....and so....if you wanna survive....you gotta stay fit.

ICXC NIKA
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 03:25:06 AM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Tatia

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 03:36:13 AM »

Oh please do not be angry with me but I am firm in belief because love of God has always been with me. I am wondering why people need to change me, the Mormons they are difficult. These other people think because I have a accent and difficulty sometimes with words think I am dumb. I am not dumb. I know who I am and I know my path. My path is religion and love and I must not ever deviate. I want to be a missionary and is why I am in seminary now. But my Orthodox is coming through in every way and sometimes other student in the seminary make fun of me.
Why here in the US do they call us Jews and unfaithful? I was walking my dog and punched in face and they hit my dog. I thought this was a place of freedom I guess not, I hurt, and we have to stay inside now.
Tatia
Tatia

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 03:57:08 AM »

Also I have been bothered by this other group Mormons who pressure me and they wear odd underwear and have many wives.

You DARE question the holy underwear?  Grin

You should see mine. Then you would understand why we are nervous about nuclear power plants.
Every time I put on a t-shirt FEMA gets an alert, along with our local fire department.
Know what I mean? LOL!
Tatia
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 04:20:33 AM »

Try this.....

YOU, standing in the doorway:  Welcome! Welcome!  My Bible told me you would come.

MORMONS, looking surprised:  It did?!   Where in the Bible did it tell you we are coming?

YOU:  It says in the Bible - in the last days will come many false prophets!

laugh Smiley Cheesy
sohma_hatori
Earthbending Novice
High Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church

The Blind Bandit

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 04:41:51 AM »

Oh please do not be angry with me but I am firm in belief because love of God has always been with me. I am wondering why people need to change me, the Mormons they are difficult. These other people think because I have a accent and difficulty sometimes with words think I am dumb. I am not dumb. I know who I am and I know my path. My path is religion and love and I must not ever deviate. I want to be a missionary and is why I am in seminary now. But my Orthodox is coming through in every way and sometimes other student in the seminary make fun of me.
Why here in the US do they call us Jews and unfaithful? I was walking my dog and punched in face and they hit my dog. I thought this was a place of freedom I guess not, I hurt, and we have to stay inside now.
Tatia

That's Horrible!! Do they really do that with non Anglo-Saxon immigrants? Shocked  Sad

""Pride is not the opposite of shame, but it's source. True humility is the only antidote to shame.""
— Iroh- Avatar:The Last Airbender
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 08:57:03 AM »

I am from Romania living here in US. I am Orthodox and was lately told by fundamental Baptist I will go to hell if I don't convert.

They would tell you that in Romania too.  I knew an Orthodox priest at the Romanian Patriarchate here in Chicago: he had gone as a missionary to Romania.  As a good Baptist, we was going to warn the Orthodox Romanians of going to hell.  Things, obviously, didn't go as he had planned.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 09:55:13 AM »

Try this.....

YOU, standing in the doorway:  Welcome! Welcome!  My Bible told me you would come.

MORMONS, looking surprised:  It did?!   Where in the Bible did it tell you we are coming?

YOU:  It says in the Bible - in the last days will come many false prophets!

laugh Smiley Cheesy

I have to remember that one!
Excellent!

Tatia, welcome to the forum.

Where is it that you live in the U.S, that you are finding such negativity towards Orthodoxy. 
It's very sad.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
monkvasyl
High Elder

Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 10:07:00 AM »

I've always had trouble with fundamental Christians and the Jehovah Witnesses, who always keep harping on the need for us to come over to their faith.  And always saying, "I know I'm saved, but are you?"  Funny, the only group that has left me in peace after I told them I was instructed by my Spiritual Father to have no contact with them was the Hare Krishna.  Odd that pagans would be more understanding and understand an "obedience" than other Christians.  As an aside, I was once with a friend, when I was a Franciscan, we were out having a burger and discussing the music for an upcoming liturgy, when 2 young people came up and asked us if we found Jesus.  My friend wanted to answer, but I held him back and I said, "Found Him?  I never lost Him."  Spaced them out and they left us in peace.  lol

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 03:18:22 PM »

Tatia
You want to be a missionary and preach the Gospel to those who have never heard it.  Mormons and JW's and Fundamentalists are merely driven by the same missionary zeal we deem so praiseworthy among the Orthodox.  They believe the fullness of truth has been revealed to them, and they want to share it with us so we may be saved.  The only difference between them and us is that we know that what they teach is heretical.  But can we blame them for their missionary zeal to preach what they believe is the truth?  If only more Orthodox were like that.

Welcome to the forum, Tatia. Smiley
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 10:52:32 PM »

You're in the United States, where 98% of the population feel like it's Protestant. Ignore them.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 12:55:29 AM »

I was walking my dog and punched in face and they hit my dog.

That is absolutely horrific.  What part of the country are you living in? 

Just so you know such actions are illegal in this country and you are within your rights to call the police on your attackers.  As to whether or not the police will do anything, well, I am afraid that depends.

I am afraid such narrow-mindedness is a problem in a lot of places, not just this country.  I remember as a child living in England when the next door neighbors' children would assault me just for having an American accent.  Still, one can almost excuse such behavior in children, but when it's adults it is another matter entirely.

I am saddened to hear you are having such problems as that, and yet joyous that your first complaint was about the religious problems.  Yes, our homegrown crop of fundamentalists can get rather pushy, although some do tend to leave you alone if you show yourself strong in your convictions.  With Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses the best tactic is actually to invite them in and try to convert them!  It rarely works in that regard, but a pleasant side effect is that once you show yourself strong in belief they rarely come back (it's actually against their rules: their churches are afraid to lose the flock and will mark you down on a "do not call list").

The Baptists will be a constant problem.  But there is hope for them yet (I used to be one).

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: