OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 08:44:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Francis of Assisi & Thomas Aquinas & Sainthood...  (Read 1426 times) Average Rating: 0
88Devin12
Moderated
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: February 17, 2010, 12:21:43 PM »

I have noticed, and it's slightly bugged me. That there are Orthodox out there who keep referring to Francis of Assisi and Thomas Aquinas as Saints. I noticed the other day that a prayer of Thomas Aquinas is in one of my Orthodox Prayer books, and he is named as "St. Thomas Aquinas".

Do people not realize that they aren't Orthodox Saints? Is it just a mistake that is made by people of Roman Catholic/Anglican background? Or are people just not aware that these two men (while they may be good Christians) are not Saints in the Orthodox Church?

(I realize this isn't that big of a deal, but it's just a minor thing that kind of bugs me)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 12:24:12 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 12:23:19 PM »

Might I inquire as to which Orthodox prayer book lists them as saints?

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 12:27:50 PM »

Lex orandi, lex credendi, bro. If it's in there, it's gospel truth.  Wink

But seriously, I've never heard/seen that before. I would guesstimate that many Orthodox are fine with St. Francis, though they wouldn't consider him a saint (I read Chesterton's biography of him and didn't see the appeal, but that's just me). But St. Thomas Aquinas... many Orthodox seem to be allergic to him, from what I've seen over the years.

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
88Devin12
Moderated
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 12:30:35 PM »

It's the "Prayer Book in accordance with the tradition of The Eastern Orthodox Church"... Other than the erroneous mis-application of Sainthood, its actually a great prayer book, one of the best I've seen out there. It's got over 300 pages of prayers, quotes of Holy Fathers on prayers, Akathists, etc... It's a wonderful prayer book, but it's just that one little error that is wrong. I would suggest it to any Orthodox Christian in search of a prayer book. (I don't think we should judge an entire prayer book, blessed by multiple Bishops on just one little error like that)

If anyone is curious, the prayer is "Prayer of St. Thomas Aquinas Before Study",
O ineffable Creator, true source of light and wisdom, deign to shed upon the night of my understanding one ray of your light. Keep far from me the darkness of sin and ignorance. Grant penetration to my mind, certainty to my memory, grace and fluency to my speech. Help my first efforts, direct my course and grant success to my labours. Amen. (pp. 44)

It's a nice prayer, and if it didn't mention Thomas Aquinas, I don't think anyone could tell the difference between it and a prayer written by an Orthodox Christian. But it just bothers me that they accidentally labeled him as Saint.

I just emailed them about the error and hopefully it will be corrected. (if it hasn't already)

As an aside, it's been re-printed several times since I received it over a year ago. So there is a chance that they may have discovered the error and fixed it.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 12:42:52 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 12:51:00 PM »

Good heavens Roll Eyes
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 12:57:27 PM »

Good heavens Roll Eyes
Concerned about the impending end of the world?  Grin

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: