OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 17, 2014, 05:32:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What does everyone have against Albanians?  (Read 6299 times) Average Rating: 0
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« on: February 17, 2010, 02:11:47 AM »

Why do so many ethnic groups hate Albanians?  It seems like the Serbs, Greeks, and even the Bulgarians have a beef with them over something.  Why was the Greek Orthodox Church so dead set against setting up an autocephalous Albanian Church way back when?

Why can't they all just get along?

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 05:52:20 AM »

If we hate them, why are we sending missionaries to rebuild the Church of Albania?
http://www.orthodoxalbania.org/English/MainMenu.html
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 05:54:03 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 06:58:57 AM »

If we hate them, why are we sending missionaries to rebuild the Church of Albania?
Reparations to what was done to them before?

I happen to know a lot of people involved in Albania, and the Church of Greece does send over a lot of aid (which makes me wonder how that willl be affected by the present crisis), not the least of which is Archb. Anastasios.

As to the OP, the Albanians were spread all over the Balkans, and hence in the way of a lot of Balkan nationalisms.  That most converted to Islam has also been a problem.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 11:21:02 AM »

We share with them a common ancestry, on a pre-Roman level.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 12:04:55 PM »

As to the OP, the Albanians were spread all over the Balkans, and hence in the way of a lot of Balkan nationalisms.  That most converted to Islam has also been a problem.

I think you've hit the nail on the head.  While certainly there are other factors, these two are by far the most pressing.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
_Seraphim_
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Serbian Diocese of Western America (under His Grace Bishop Maxim)

May Orthodoxy become our orthopraxis

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 12:50:07 PM »

An 18 year old young woman from our (Serbian) parish is going to Albania this summer to help build a parish school/church.

"Disputes merely about words must not be suffered to divide those who think alike."
-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

"Behold the light of our Agreed Statement on Christology"
http://www.orthodoxunity.org/state04.html
_Seraphim_
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Serbian Diocese of Western America (under His Grace Bishop Maxim)

May Orthodoxy become our orthopraxis

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 12:53:52 PM »

Reparations to what was done to them before?

Indeed:

The experience of the Albanian Orthodox is unique among all other groups in one significant respect: the liturgical services of the Church had never been celebrated in the language of the Albanian people, this despite the fact that Christianity had penetrated into ancient Illyria from the second century.  Throughout Albanian history almost without exception, Greek bishops had controlled the Albanian Orthodox Church, and all liturgical services were conducted in Greek.  Perhaps because of this, Albania therefore eventually became divided between Orthodox and Catholics and, with the Ottoman conquest, between Christians and Muslims.  In total numbers, Orthodox have historically comprised 20% of the Albanian population…

The first Albanian-language liturgy was celebrated in the early part of the 20th century not in Albania, but in Massachusetts.

The American Orthodox Church, A History of Its Beginnings
by George C. Michalopulos and Herb Ham

"Disputes merely about words must not be suffered to divide those who think alike."
-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

"Behold the light of our Agreed Statement on Christology"
http://www.orthodoxunity.org/state04.html
kostia

Jurisdiction: American Orthodox

The only Constant in the Universe is Change

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 02:14:54 AM »

Why do so many ethnic groups hate Albanians?  It seems like the Serbs, Greeks, and even the Bulgarians have a beef with them over something.  Why was the Greek Orthodox Church so dead set against setting up an autocephalous Albanian Church way back when?

Why can't they all just get along?

Robb,

It's nothing personal...the Greek Orthodox Church (I think you mean the Ecumenical Patriarchate) has had a problem recognizing just about ANY of the autocephalous churches "way back when" or ever.  Go look it up...I think the only exception might be the Serbian Church. Most people don't realize that even the Church of Greece was considered schismatic by their Mother Church (the Ecumenical Patriarchate) for a period of years following the declaration of their autocephaly.

Being considered schismatic by the Mother Church seems to be a rite of passage on the way to autocephaly.  Only the amount of time seems to vary...from 140 years for the Russian Church (following the election of Metropolitan Jonah) to only 20 years for the Church of Greece.

So it's not just the Albanians...the Mother Churches generally don't like the daughter churches saying goodbye...

Best Regards,
Kostia
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 02:15:43 AM by kostia » Logged

NULL
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 02:59:42 AM »

I don't see a problem today within Orthodox Christianity about our fellow Orthodox Christian Albanians.  The Holy Orthodox Churches have rejoiced at the phenomenal rebirth of the Albanian Orthodox Church.  It's the Moslem Albanians who stole Kosovo with whom many of us have a problem.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 03:59:38 PM »

I like Albanians, especially their women, they are hot!

Joseph
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 07:14:57 PM »

I like Albanians, especially their women, they are hot!

I'll second that! 

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 11:02:27 PM »

I don't see a problem today within Orthodox Christianity about our fellow Orthodox Christian Albanians.  The Holy Orthodox Churches have rejoiced at the phenomenal rebirth of the Albanian Orthodox Church.  It's the Moslem Albanians who stole Kosovo with whom many of us have a problem.

Yes, what he said.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 10:39:30 AM »

My godfather's Albanian and I don't have any problems with him  Smiley

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 10:42:46 AM »

When it comes to the Kosovo issue, from what I gather, Orthodox Christian Albanians tend to sympathize with the Muslim Albanians rather than the Serbs.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Tags: Greek Orthodox Missions 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: