Author Topic: What does everyone have against Albanians?  (Read 7734 times)

Offline Robb

• OC.net guru
What does everyone have against Albanians?
« on: February 17, 2010, 02:11:47 AM »
Why do so many ethnic groups hate Albanians?  It seems like the Serbs, Greeks, and even the Bulgarians have a beef with them over something.  Why was the Greek Orthodox Church so dead set against setting up an autocephalous Albanian Church way back when?

Why can't they all just get along?
Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert

Offline ozgeorge

• I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
  • Hoplitarches
  • My plans for retirement.
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia
Re: What does everyone have against Albanians?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 05:52:20 AM »
If we hate them, why are we sending missionaries to rebuild the Church of Albania?
http://www.orthodoxalbania.org/English/MainMenu.html
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 05:54:03 AM by ozgeorge »
If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Hypatos
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 06:58:57 AM »
If we hate them, why are we sending missionaries to rebuild the Church of Albania?
Reparations to what was done to them before?

I happen to know a lot of people involved in Albania, and the Church of Greece does send over a lot of aid (which makes me wonder how that willl be affected by the present crisis), not the least of which is Archb. Anastasios.

As to the OP, the Albanians were spread all over the Balkans, and hence in the way of a lot of Balkan nationalisms.  That most converted to Islam has also been a problem.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 11:21:02 AM »
We share with them a common ancestry, on a pre-Roman level.

Offline Schultz

• Christian. Guitarist. Scooterist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
  • Taxiarches
  • Scion of the McKeesport Becks.
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 12:04:55 PM »

As to the OP, the Albanians were spread all over the Balkans, and hence in the way of a lot of Balkan nationalisms.  That most converted to Islam has also been a problem.

I think you've hit the nail on the head.  While certainly there are other factors, these two are by far the most pressing.
"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen

Offline _Seraphim_

• High Elder
  • May Orthodoxy become our orthopraxis
    • OrthodoxMysteries
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 12:50:07 PM »

An 18 year old young woman from our (Serbian) parish is going to Albania this summer to help build a parish school/church.
"Disputes merely about words must not be suffered to divide those who think alike."
-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

"Behold the light of our Agreed Statement on Christology"
http://www.orthodoxunity.org/state04.html

Offline _Seraphim_

• High Elder
  • May Orthodoxy become our orthopraxis
    • OrthodoxMysteries
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 12:53:52 PM »
Reparations to what was done to them before?

Indeed:

The experience of the Albanian Orthodox is unique among all other groups in one significant respect: the liturgical services of the Church had never been celebrated in the language of the Albanian people, this despite the fact that Christianity had penetrated into ancient Illyria from the second century.  Throughout Albanian history almost without exception, Greek bishops had controlled the Albanian Orthodox Church, and all liturgical services were conducted in Greek.  Perhaps because of this, Albania therefore eventually became divided between Orthodox and Catholics and, with the Ottoman conquest, between Christians and Muslims.  In total numbers, Orthodox have historically comprised 20% of the Albanian population…

The first Albanian-language liturgy was celebrated in the early part of the 20th century not in Albania, but in Massachusetts.

The American Orthodox Church, A History of Its Beginnings
by George C. Michalopulos and Herb Ham
"Disputes merely about words must not be suffered to divide those who think alike."
-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

"Behold the light of our Agreed Statement on Christology"
http://www.orthodoxunity.org/state04.html

Offline kostia

• The only Constant in the Universe is Change
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 02:14:54 AM »
Why do so many ethnic groups hate Albanians?  It seems like the Serbs, Greeks, and even the Bulgarians have a beef with them over something.  Why was the Greek Orthodox Church so dead set against setting up an autocephalous Albanian Church way back when?

Why can't they all just get along?

Robb,

It's nothing personal...the Greek Orthodox Church (I think you mean the Ecumenical Patriarchate) has had a problem recognizing just about ANY of the autocephalous churches "way back when" or ever.  Go look it up...I think the only exception might be the Serbian Church. Most people don't realize that even the Church of Greece was considered schismatic by their Mother Church (the Ecumenical Patriarchate) for a period of years following the declaration of their autocephaly.

Being considered schismatic by the Mother Church seems to be a rite of passage on the way to autocephaly.  Only the amount of time seems to vary...from 140 years for the Russian Church (following the election of Metropolitan Jonah) to only 20 years for the Church of Greece.

So it's not just the Albanians...the Mother Churches generally don't like the daughter churches saying goodbye...

Best Regards,
Kostia
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 02:15:43 AM by kostia »
NULL

Offline Basil 320

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 02:59:42 AM »
I don't see a problem today within Orthodox Christianity about our fellow Orthodox Christian Albanians.  The Holy Orthodox Churches have rejoiced at the phenomenal rebirth of the Albanian Orthodox Church.  It's the Moslem Albanians who stole Kosovo with whom many of us have a problem.
"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."

Offline arimethea

• Getting too old for this
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Does anyone really care what you think?
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 03:59:38 PM »
I like Albanians, especially their women, they are hot!

Joseph

Offline scamandrius

• Musicians don't dance
  • Taxiarches
  • Why do I waste my time here?
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 07:14:57 PM »
I like Albanians, especially their women, they are hot!

I'll second that! 
Hey, I don't hand out 9.5s to just anyone!  ;D

Offline Punch

• Taxiarches
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 11:02:27 PM »
I don't see a problem today within Orthodox Christianity about our fellow Orthodox Christian Albanians.  The Holy Orthodox Churches have rejoiced at the phenomenal rebirth of the Albanian Orthodox Church.  It's the Moslem Albanians who stole Kosovo with whom many of us have a problem.

Yes, what he said.
I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.

Online Iconodule

• Uranopolitan
  • Taxiarches
  • "My god is greater."
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 10:39:30 AM »
My godfather's Albanian and I don't have any problems with him  :)

Online Iconodule

• Uranopolitan
  • Taxiarches
  • "My god is greater."
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 10:42:46 AM »

When it comes to the Kosovo issue, from what I gather, Orthodox Christian Albanians tend to sympathize with the Muslim Albanians rather than the Serbs.