OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 11:17:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Miraculous Image" In GOA Church  (Read 1635 times) Average Rating: 0
Vicki

« on: December 29, 2003, 09:37:43 PM »

Parishioners See 'Miraculous Formation' On Church Ceiling
Image Forms On Ceiling Of Connecticut Church

POSTED: 8:53 AM EST December 24, 2003
UPDATED: 1:40 PM EST December 24, 2003

BRIDGEPORT, Conn. -- Some parishioners at a Greek Orthodox church in Bridgeport say an image of the Virgin Mary has appeared on the church's ceiling.
FeedRoom

Image Appears At Church  

Parishioners said the image (pictured with blue outline, right) -- which resembles a discoloration or stain -- appeared on the ceiling several months ago. It has grown into what some call a "miraculous formation" of the Virgin Mary holding Baby Jesus.

"I had been noticing, for a long time from the altar, something from that area, but I did not pay attention to it until much later -- about three or four weeks ago," said the Rev. Demetrios Racachinas of Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church on Park Avenue.

Church officials said they have no explanation for the image. They said it is not a shadow, and it is not caused by water or moisture.

Racachinas said he would like the Greek Orthodox New York Archdiocese to investigate the image. A bishop said the archdiocese has no plans to investigate, and that the image "is what it is."

Racachinas said plans to repair the aging ceiling might be changed to accommodate the image.

"At this time, we have stopped to see what would develop from here," said Racachinas. "If, at this time, we decide to paint, which we really want to do, we are contemplating leaving that spot untouched."

Church custodian Lonnie Blackwell said the image is comforting.

"It's telling us something," said Blackwell. "The Lord is saying something."

For the latest news and updates on this story, stay tuned to NBC 30 Connecticut News and NBC30.com
« Last Edit: December 29, 2003, 09:40:22 PM by Vicki » Logged

"Him whom the heavenly hosts glorify and before Whom Cherubim and Seraphim tremble, let every breath and all creation praise, bless and exalt throughout all ages."
Vicki

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2003, 09:41:31 PM »

Meself, I'm thinking the Lord is saying, pay attention to the Liturgy....

"Him whom the heavenly hosts glorify and before Whom Cherubim and Seraphim tremble, let every breath and all creation praise, bless and exalt throughout all ages."
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2003, 10:42:38 PM »

Why is it that almost all of these types of images always seem to include Mary?
Vicki

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2003, 10:44:22 PM »

Iperayia Theotoke soson imas....I have NO IDEA...maybe because no one can imagine anything more creative?

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2003, 10:48:20 PM »

bridgeport?  cool I know people there!

What gets me is the way believers chase after these kinda signs.  Signs are for those who have no faith.

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
Vicki

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2003, 10:54:22 PM »

No...the faithful are given signs, but NOT this sort. THIS is distraction from worship .  Sheer silliness.

moronikos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ...and they were first called Christians in Antioch

I'm trying to think, but nothing happens!

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2003, 12:27:49 AM »

Now all we need is a visit from a space-ship carrying Vassula;)
Vicki

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2003, 12:37:54 AM »

Hey...we didn't have a comedy corner, OK...It wasn't funny enough for Bro. Max's  humor thread....It's like The Onion Dome....where's Fr. Vasily when you need him?

prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2003, 07:45:57 AM »

Now all we need is a visit from a space-ship carrying Vassula Wink
I thought about starting a thread on her once, but decided our time would be much better spent on other things (like discussing our favorite beers etc. Grin)

John.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2003, 07:46:32 AM by prodromos » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: