OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 06:01:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What exactly is a 'Creationist'? What is an 'Evolutionist'?  (Read 780 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: February 14, 2010, 02:44:32 AM »

Hey y'all,

I admit right off that I already have an opinion of what these terms mean (surprise!).  But, I also recognize that I am sometimes wrong (rarely, but it happens.  Smiley)  I've created this thread in hopes that I can learn from our more learned Science types here at OC.net, especially since they seem to be the most vociferous.  Seriously though, I am genuinely interested in the definitions of these two terms, whether or not they are genuinely at odds with one another, and whether or not either of them are compatible with Holy Orthodoxy.  I realize that this will probably break down in an argument between two camps, and that the question will by no means be answered entirely.  I just hope to gain a better understanding. 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 04:51:28 AM »

Gabriel,

Today is Forgiveness Sunday; if you really hope to gain a better understanding of this topic, do you really want to start a thread that will go into Great Lent with the snide tone of OP? Couldn't you strive for a more conciliatory opening?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 04:51:57 AM by Riddikulus » Logged

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 05:14:41 AM »

Hey y'all,

I admit right off that I already have an opinion of what these terms mean (surprise!).  But, I also recognize that I am sometimes wrong (rarely, but it happens.  Smiley)  I've created this thread in hopes that I can learn from our more learned Science types here at OC.net, especially since they seem to be the most vociferous.  Seriously though, I am genuinely interested in the definitions of these two terms, whether or not they are genuinely at odds with one another, and whether or not either of them are compatible with Holy Orthodoxy.  I realize that this will probably break down in an argument between two camps, and that the question will by no means be answered entirely.  I just hope to gain a better understanding. 

Well, I don't know that it's my position you're asking for, but I'll give it none the less. Wink I think these terms are defined more by social connotations than by technical meanings. I think that over the past few decades the term 'creationist' has pretty much been narrowed down to those who believe in a literal 7 day creation that  happened 6000-10000 years ago and those who want such a belief to be emphasized in education, I wouldn't apply it to advocates of so-called theistic-evolution who are generally just people who accept prevailing scientific theories and wouldn't object to their promulgation, but still hold some religious beliefs. As a side note, I would argue that the 'Intelligent Design' advocates are really just creationists who have attempted to usurp those beliefs of religious people who accept evolution, in order to advance the propaganda and agenda of creationism.

As for 'evolutionist', traditionally it has simply been a term that creationists, for some reason that is beyond me, believe is derogatory to those who hold the prevailing scientific theories. Technically speaking, it would apply to anyone who doesn't think the earth was created 6000 years ago, but it's comes across as almost laughable, akin to calling people who believe in gravity 'gravitationalists' or those who calling those who accept the theory of relativity 'relativists'.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 01:21:39 PM »

Technically speaking. I would for certain state that anybody that believes in a beginning point of a created universe through a creative act and not purely accidental is a creationist. One could go as far as stating that the big band was a creation from god since before that was nothing. But from an Atheistic view that same point in time happened accidentally. Rendering a god powerless or nonexistent. Either way is a guess and the truth lay in the hearts of the created beings. All I know for sure is that God doesn't want to be known through science even though a power that can be called god can be seen daily.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 03:52:14 PM »

Technically speaking. I would for certain state that anybody that believes in a beginning point of a created universe through a creative act and not purely accidental is a creationist. One could go as far as stating that the big band was a creation from god since before that was nothing. But from an Atheistic view that same point in time happened accidentally. Rendering a god powerless or nonexistent. Either way is a guess and the truth lay in the hearts of the created beings. All I know for sure is that God doesn't want to be known through science even though a power that can be called god can be seen daily.
Your definition on Creationist has the backing of history behind it: Creationists have been so defined from before Christ.

I would, on the basis of the history of this argument, state that an evolutionist is one who a) denies any starting point (in the case of the big bang, the bang just came from pre-existent physical/natural universe) and b) denies intelligent/personal forces but instead insists on impersonal forces at work in the universe.

I acknowledge that this gives a lot of overlapp (Deists as Creationists, Hinus as Evolutionists), but then, I'm not one to say the issue is so simple and cut and dry.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 04:07:56 PM »

If by "creationist" we are talking more narrowly of the modern advocates of "creation science" and "intelligent design," then here is how I would frame the distinction:

Evolutionists accept the modern dualist philosophy (traceable to the medieval revival of Aristotle in the West) which informs modern science, and conclude from the findings of modern science that life forms evolved in a manner largely conforming to Darwin's model.

"Creationists" accept the same dualist philosophy, but, in an attempt to make it compatible with Christian teaching, distort and misinterpret the findings of modern science to make it support the model presented in Genesis.

I think Orthodox Christians should reject both models because they are both dualist at the core.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 04:21:43 PM »

I believe that God created the world but I cannot say for certain how long it took.  I believe that God created the world in a certain manner, but endowed us with free-will.  Because of this free-will, from the time the world was created until now things have drastically changed.  I haven't read enough about genetic mutation and such, but I don't think that goes against Orthodoxy and vice versa.  I do not believe that we have descended from apes or monkey's (even though I am familiar with the term hominid).  But I think Orthodox Christian's are open to differing possibilities than are Evangelical or other sects.

I'm beginning to view GiC's explanation that the words 'Creationist' and 'Evolutionist' mean different things to different people and at times, don't really mean anything; just made up words of little demagogues.  In a way, it reminds me of the language that Orthodox Christians and Evangelical's use; often the same words are used but understood completely different to each other.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 04:28:55 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: