OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 10:14:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icon Prayer Corner  (Read 3237 times) Average Rating: 0
murse

Faith: anglican inquiring
Jurisdiction: universal

« on: February 12, 2010, 10:56:14 PM »

Hello all Grin I am requesting some advice regarding the "how" to set up an Icon Corner in my home. Is there a certain part of the home (north, east, west, south) that is preferred to put one? What "sacramentals" do you suggest? Where would I get the items? Would anyone mind posting a pic of theirs? If that is too personal, I understand.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 11:04:24 PM »

Generally, it is preferred that icon corners are placed on an eastern wall, but if that's not feasible, it is not a big deal. I'm not sure what you mean by "sacramentals," but we typically have our icons blessed in a Church by an Orthodox priest. A vigil lamp or candle is usually kept burning in front of the icons, and one might also have a small censer. This stuff can be found at any Orthodox supply store, like stspress.com or skete.com. Many of us here are privileged to have many good icons readily available to us and affordable, but it is fine to have just one or two icons. It's most important to have icons of Christ and/ or the Theotokos.   

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 11:05:21 PM »

Welcome to the forum, Murse!

If you click on the icon corner tag below, you'll find some previous threads on this that may be helpful.

HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 11:22:32 PM »

Hello all Grin I am requesting some advice regarding the "how" to set up an Icon Corner in my home. Is there a certain part of the home (north, east, west, south) that is preferred to put one? What "sacramentals" do you suggest? Where would I get the items? Would anyone mind posting a pic of theirs? If that is too personal, I understand.

Welcome to the forum!

Here is a great article on what items are generally included in an icon corner.

Do not feel compelled to buy all of the items at once. Some people just have one icon and a candle, some just have the candle, and some just have their prayers to get them through.  Wink

As far as purchasing items for an icon corner, many parishes have bookstores where items can be purchased. You can also purchase many items online. Over the years I have found Archangel Books to be a great source for reasonably priced icons, books, and other Orthodox items.

I would also suggest checking out the icons written by the St. John Chrysostomos Greek Orthodox Monastery, as they have some really beautiful icons.  Smiley

Speak with your Spiritual Father as to what items he feel you should have first, and what icons he may feel would be beneficial to you. If you are going through a particular type of struggle, perhaps having an icon of a certain saint may help you through that struggle. It's always good to talk to one's Spiritual Father about these things. Smiley

I hope you find these links useful, and once again, welcome to the nuthouse forum!  Wink  Grin

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
murse

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 12:03:00 AM »

Wow! Thanks for the help and responses!
samkim
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 01:09:41 AM »

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
GregoryLA
Elder

Faith: Moving toward Eastern Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Western Japan

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 01:19:21 AM »

quit copying me, Sam! Grin
murse

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 05:58:50 PM »

Alright, thanks for the helpful links and pics. I am looking forward to having an icon corner set up in my home.
Tags: icon corner 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: