OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 11:39:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christianity scares me...  (Read 4919 times) Average Rating: 0
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2010, 02:19:02 PM »

What scares me is the belief in Nirvana and other Buddhist teachings. You don't really exist at all ever. .  . . .

Hmmm.. It depends on the school of Buddhism I suppose but here is a good way to understand this.

There are Three Truths:

Relative Truth,

Absolute Truth

and both Absolute and Relative are True at the same time...   Smiley

I am Marc. But isn't this just a convention? My Mother picked the name and I go by it. But on the Absolute view of things, "Marc" is just made up. My being is  "really" something else.

Truth one: I am Marc.. This is a True statement.

Truth two : I exist in a way far beyond the mundane designations we give each other.

Truth three: Both are True at the same time, one not any more true than the other.

I am Marc and I am also more than that in ways I cant even understand. What is "Real" and then what is "Really Real".

So don't worry too much, you do exist.  Smiley

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2010, 02:29:34 PM »

What scares me is the belief in Nirvana and other Buddhist teachings. You don't really exist at all ever. You are like a clear bottle of sea water in the ocean floating on the top. Just being tossed by the waves until you "realize" that bottle doesn't really exist. You can only be free, cured, and find the still waters that run deep by realizing you don't even exist at all! I got comfortable with it after I first learned it 14 years ago but at the time it was a terrifying thought as I was completely open to it and came to believe it for a time.
In a way, the Buddhists are not really too far off in this belief. We cannot reach Theosis until we make ourselves nothing, of least importance, and put all others ahead of us. When the Apostles argued as to which of them was greatest, Christ showed us that the greatest among us must be the servant of all. So in order to be cured of self-love, we must practice loving others, to the point at which our own desires do not matter to us anymore.

So while the philosophy that this present world is illusory is not one which we Christians would share, we can appreciate the sentiment. Yet at the same time, we realise the truth that there is a spoon, and moreso a person who needs the spoon. The needs of that person for the spoon are greater than our desire to keep the spoon, and therefore we should give of what we have to help that person in need.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
yochanan
Arch-laity of the Room of Supreme Awesomeness

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (Catechumen)
Jurisdiction: OMHKSEA (Philippines)

O majestic aurora, how seeming did He fashion you!

« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2010, 09:21:01 PM »

It scared me at first, but I realized that we won't become gods, nor will we become God, but we will become "like God".

Become like God? -- Didn't the serpent also promise that?

4 "You will not surely die," the serpent said to the woman. 5  "For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil." (Gen. 3: 4-5)

Forgive me for noticing this scary similarity of Christ's and the serpent's promise.
What do the Fathers have to say?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 09:25:05 PM by yochanan » Logged

"It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us..." (Acts 15: 28)
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2010, 09:29:52 PM »

Yes, it is scary. God wants us to be reconciled to Him while we are alive. The demands are formidable and require great effort from us.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2010, 10:25:57 PM »

It scared me at first, but I realized that we won't become gods, nor will we become God, but we will become "like God".

4 "You will not surely die," the serpent said to the woman. 5  "For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil." (Gen. 3: 4-5)

Forgive me for noticing this scary similarity of Christ's and the serpent's promise.

The Devil twisted the message. Under the Devil, instead of worshipping God, man worships himself.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2010, 10:38:09 AM »

There's a subtle difference. Christ says, "Deny yourself, take up your cross, and follow Me." In other words, we must die to ourselves in order to become like God. The serpent's lie was that we could do whatever we want and still become like God--a lie that is as appealing now as it was then.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2010, 10:47:32 AM »

What scares me is the belief in Nirvana and other Buddhist teachings. You don't really exist at all ever. .  . . .

Hmmm.. It depends on the school of Buddhism I suppose but here is a good way to understand this.

There are Three Truths:

Relative Truth,

Absolute Truth

I am Marc. But isn't this just a convention? My Mother picked the name and I go by it. But on the Absolute view of things, "Marc" is just made up. My being is  "really" something else.

Truth two : I exist in a way far beyond the mundane designations we give each other.

Truth three: Both are True at the same time, one not any more true than the other.

I am Marc and I am also more than that in ways I cant even understand. What is "Real" and then what is "Really Real".

You sound like a Buddhist...

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2010, 10:58:32 AM »

There are Three Truths:

Relative Truth,

Absolute Truth

You sound like a Buddhist...
Well, then it must be a good explanation of this particular Buddhist belief.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: