OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 02:55:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christianity scares me...  (Read 4785 times) Average Rating: 0
Christianus
Elder

Faith: ¿esse an non esse Orthodoxus?

« on: February 12, 2010, 09:34:58 PM »

this is what scares..

Protestantism, that they aren't the original New Testament Church.
Roman Catholicism, burning heretics, calling crusades on infidels ( i.e. killing them in the name of God, did orthodoxy ever have anything like that I don't think so)
Orthodoxy: its teaching of Theosis , or Deification scares and is strange to me.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 09:42:15 PM »

Orthodoxy: its teaching of Theosis , or Deification scares and is strange to me.

What specifically "scares" you?

Also, when I hear the word "scare" it implies that there is some type of impending danger or that something could hurt you somehow. What is it about theosis that you fear?

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 09:49:58 PM »

Can't argue with that one.

Roman Catholicism, burning heretics, calling crusades on infidels ( i.e. killing them in the name of God, did orthodoxy ever have anything like that I don't think so)

I don't think this is a valid reason for rejecting Catholicism. All are capable of committing evils. I reject Roman Catholicism, but for its false teachings, not for the evils committed in its name.

What's so scary about it? 2 Peter 1:4 speaks of man partaking of the divine nature. Deification means participating in the divine life of God, not partaking of the divine essence or becoming God by essence.

I just came across this quote about 3minutes ago in a book I'm reading. It's seems appropriate here. For "Maximus the Confessor whose championing of this notion led to its prevalence in the Eastern Orthodox tradition, 'deification' meant becoming 'all that God is, except for an identity in ousia (essence, nature) one becomes when one is deified by grace'. And the 'except' of course makes all the difference. Deification is being made like God in many ways...but those properties would belong to a human contingently, not essentially" - Richard Swinburne - The Christian God, p. 227.
Christianus
Elder

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 10:50:40 PM »

I don't think this is a valid reason for rejecting Catholicism. All are capable of committing evils. I reject Roman Catholicism, but for its false teachings, not for the evils committed in its name.

What's so scary about it? 2 Peter 1:4 speaks of man partaking of the divine nature. Deification means participating in the divine life of God, not partaking of the divine essence or becoming God by essence.

I just came across this quote about 3minutes ago in a book I'm reading. It's seems appropriate here. For "Maximus the Confessor whose championing of this notion led to its prevalence in the Eastern Orthodox tradition, 'deification' meant becoming 'all that God is, except for an identity in ousia (essence, nature) one becomes when one is deified by grace'. And the 'except' of course makes all the difference. Deification is being made like God in many ways...but those properties would belong to a human contingently, not essentially" - Richard Swinburne - The Christian God, p. 227.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/deify
Well Websters says that to deify means to make. or become a god, I think the church has a lousy translation that needs to be explained by the church...
the way you explain it doesn't scare me, but the popular usage of deification does scare me.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/deification

1. (Christian Religious Writings / Theology) the act or process of exalting to the position of a god
but according to you it's like communion with God, or participating in the divine life of God.
The orthodox church really has a bad translation of the word Theosis.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 10:58:28 PM »

Words often have a range of meanings and subtle variations which are lost on dictionary compilers. Don't treat dictionaries as infallible guides to the meanings of words.

I think "deify" is probably the best word that could have been chosen. I have also seen "divinize" used but I prefer "deify." The saints do not become God, but they are "gods" by grace.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Christianus
Elder

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 11:05:30 PM »

Words often have a range of meanings and subtle variations which are lost on dictionary compilers. Don't treat dictionaries as infallible guides to the meanings of words.

I think "deify" is probably the best word that could have been chosen. I have also seen "divinize" used but I prefer "deify." The saints do not become God, but they are "gods" by grace.
Isn't that polytheism?
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 11:06:28 PM »

Well Websters says that to deify means to make. or become a god, I think the church has a lousy translation that needs to be explained by the church...
the way you explain it doesn't scare me, but the popular usage of deification does scare me.

1. (Christian Religious Writings / Theology) the act or process of exalting to the position of a god
but according to you it's like communion with God, or participating in the divine life of God.

Maybe it's the dictionary that has a lousy translation, not the Church.

Have you spoken to a priest about theosis? Rather than consult a dictionary, consult a priest. He will be able to answer all of your questions and address all of your concerns.

There's no commitment involved, and many will even answer your questions via email. Smiley

Heck, I'm sure if you PM'd any of the priests on this forum they would be happy to help you.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 11:09:27 PM »

Isn't that polytheism?

"Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your law,  ‘I said, “You are gods”’? If He called them gods, to whom the word of God came (and the Scripture cannot be broken), do you say of Him whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, ‘You are blaspheming,’ because I said, ‘I am the Son of God’?" (John 10:34-36)

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Paisius
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Wherever the wind blows......

Scheherazade

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 11:14:56 PM »

It's not just participating in the divine life, it's being transformed by grace into everything Christ is by nature. Jesus and the psalmist both say "ye are gods." (John 10:34, Psalm 82:6). If Christ himself says it you have nothing to fear my friend.

Yours in Christ
Joe

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frédéric Bastiat
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 11:15:25 PM »

Isn't that polytheism?

No, because it is by grace and not by nature. Theosis is utterly dependent on God's energies; the deified saints are not gods by any power of their own and never can be. They remain finite, created beings who have no independent existence outside of God's will.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 12:16:25 AM »

It's not just participating in the divine life, it's being transformed by grace into everything Christ is by nature. Jesus and the psalmist both say "ye are gods." (John 10:34, Psalm 82:6). If Christ himself says it you have nothing to fear my friend.

Yours in Christ
Joe

Well, since 99% of Christians probably never come anywhere close to this ideal, I doubt that you have much to worry about.  It kind of amazes me how some people think that they can just become a saint by snapping their fingers.  It probably takes a whole lifetime to get anywhere near the Christian ideal of perfection and even most canonized saints believed that they were nowhere close to this in their own spiritual development. 

Anyway, don't worry about it.  God doesn't force anything on us that we don't wish.  He never forces holiness or perfection down our throats if we are not prepared for it.  If you fear growing in holiness that is probably a good sign that you are a good person in the first place (Would a bad one even care about not being holy enough). 

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 01:27:21 AM »

this is what scares..

One way of explaining Theosis is first the restoration of our human nature (created in the image and likeness of God) that has been corrupted by sin, and then continuing to live, grow, and be conformed to God by His grace. We are limited and God is infinite, so our growth towards him is neverending. Hope this helps.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2010, 02:33:04 AM »

The COE approaches the concept differently. Christ by being righteous proved that Adam could have been righteous, Christ became the Second Adam, and we should strive for righteousness because its the Father's will and allows the Father to identify us with his Son, who in his human nature defeated sin (unlike Adam).

I am NOT a representative of the ACOE. Ignore my posts
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 03:22:34 AM »

It scared me at first, but I realized that we won't become gods, nor will we become God, but we will become "like God".
Mivac

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 10:04:26 AM »

Yours in Christ
Joe

Well, since 99% of Christians probably never come anywhere close to this ideal, I doubt that you have much to worry about.  It kind of amazes me how some people think that they can just become a saint by snapping their fingers.  It probably takes a whole lifetime to get anywhere near the Christian ideal of perfection and even most canonized saints believed that they were nowhere close to this in their own spiritual development.  

Anyway, don't worry about it.  God doesn't force anything on us that we don't wish.  He never forces holiness or perfection down our throats if we are not prepared for it.  If you fear growing in holiness that is probably a good sign that you are a good person in the first place (Would a bad one even care about not being holy enough).  

No doubt they felt they were no where close to perfection.  It seems to me when I contemplate our Lord and our development, no matter how many steps towards perfection we may make we are really no closer to the perfection of God than when we first started.   When I compare my development with the Saints, I am a utterly broken seeing how far off the mark I am even compared to them let alone the incomprehensible perfection of God.  Love, Hope and Faith in our Lord keeps me alive in my despare of who I am.

Lord have mercy!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 10:05:20 AM by Mivac » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2010, 10:09:36 AM »

Isn't that polytheism?
No, that would be gods by nature.  Divinize is better, though.  Maybe Divinization would be a better tranlsation for theosis.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 10:13:46 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2010, 10:48:07 AM »

Well there seems to be a huge difference in "gods" and "gods by grace".  The first is by their own accord and the latter He/ she would need a god to do it for them. The reliance on the other is a key distinction.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2010, 11:45:39 AM »

this is what scares..

Theosis scares the crap out of me as well......but more in a fearfull/respectful way. You can see this concept in a number of the works of early christians......when I first saw it (in my protestant years)  ........it scared the living daylights out of me......and so, I can't really get mad at you. To be honest, my fear, is more of one of respect and honor of the love of God and what He wants to do. I don't fully understand why He wants to do it, but I am in awe of it.

I don't know if what I said made any sense......but this is my situation (in regards to this issue) at the moment.....and have been for years. And so, you are not alone in being scared by it. I'm sure a number of us share a similar experience.

ICXC NIKA
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 11:53:54 AM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Tamara
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2010, 12:33:27 PM »

Isn't that polytheism?
No, that would be gods by nature.  Divinize is better, though.  Maybe Divinization would be a better tranlsation for theosis.

I agree with you Isa. I saw this definition on a site run by Athanasios Bailey. He explains why divinization is a better definition for theosis.

"Thomas Aquinas understood the difference between icon and assimilation (he quoted his bad translation of St. John of Damaskos's EXACT EXPOSITION OF ORTHODOX BELIEF) . . . but since he confused energy (actus, operatio) with essence, he misunderstood the Trinity and confused Deification (participation in the imparticipable divine Essence-apotheosis) with Divinization (Theosis, participating in the divine Energies). Aware of the impossibility of worshipers' participating in an imparticipable Essence, he settled for an intentional or conceptual, virtual unity. This is not too unlike the Reformers' virtual covenantal union of believers with God."
Liz
High Elder

Faith: Church of England

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2010, 04:47:46 PM »

Is 'scary' necessarily bad?
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2010, 06:05:46 PM »

Yes it is. It means we aren't yet perfected in Christ. 1 John 4:18

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
Liz
High Elder

Faith: Church of England

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2010, 06:22:45 PM »

But surely it's not bad to be scared when you are not used to Christianity? It is far better than being complacent! Fear can be simply the recognition that not everything is certain and easy, so ultimately, it is good to be able to accept fear. Sometimes the world is scary. Pretending that you don't get scared of anything is a brittle way to be; it's not healthy.
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2010, 07:28:54 PM »

But surely it's not bad to be scared when you are not used to Christianity? It is far better than being complacent! Fear can be simply the recognition that not everything is certain and easy, so ultimately, it is good to be able to accept fear. Sometimes the world is scary. Pretending that you don't get scared of anything is a brittle way to be; it's not healthy.
Fear is certainly healthy depending on the context. Fear is a very complex issue. In a natural sense it is certainly needed in everyday life. It's when we look at our spiritual response that things become more complex. Our response to fear all depends how far along you are on the path to perfection. Fear is actually a gauge that we can use in our own spiritual struggle that brings us closer to god. The more fear that we have the further away we are to his conformity. Meaning that something has to change within us to bring us closer to what god wants us to be. In a sense he uses it to shape our inner being.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 07:47:16 PM by Demetrios G. » Logged

Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2010, 10:27:24 PM »

Theosis is a conjugation of Theos (God) and enosis (union).  Read John 17, where Christ prays for us all to be en-osin in Him:  "In in them and Thou in me..."   That's Christianity--union with God by grace!
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2010, 01:32:42 PM »

I have to admit that I sympathize - being changed or changing is certainly enough to scare anyone. A friend of mine was talking about theosis and said she imagined it to be something like surgery: you're anesthetized and the offending bits are removed. You wake up and they're gone. Whereas the reality is that it's more like chemotherapy - takes a long time, difficult, painful etc.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2010, 01:58:00 PM »

this is what scares..

By comparison, a history of helping people become "Like God" (Theosis) sounds better than burning Constantinople and attacking Jerusalem  Smiley

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2010, 05:03:11 PM »

I should have looked before I posted. This is the convert issue board and I didn't realize that. I am not supposed to be posting on this anyway. Moderators, can you delete my post?

At Papist request I have removed the post in question and the commentary based on that post that is inappropriate for the Convert Issues Forum. I would like to remind everyone that the Purple Demons (Lenten temptation towards argumentativeness and debate) are in full swing this Lent already. Thank you Papist for catching yourself and asking the  Moderator to delete your posting. Everyone, please remember that the Convert Issues Forum is not a place for debate or argument but a place for simple and direct answers for those new to the Faith or inquiring about Orthodoxy. It is supposed to be a safe place for new converts and Inquirers to get answers.

May you have a blessed Lent!
Thomas
Convert Issues Forum Moderator
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 11:50:03 AM by Thomas » Logged

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2010, 10:31:38 AM »

Isn't that polytheism?

Is sharing immortality with God, polytheism?

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2010, 10:39:27 AM »

Isn't that polytheism?

Not if your immortality is based on communion. The minute you choose anything different you loose your immortality. As long as your free will agrees with god your OK. Cheesy

ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2010, 10:42:35 AM »

Isn't that polytheism?

Not if your immortality is based on communion. The minute you choose anything different you loose your immortality. As long as your free will agrees with god your OK. Cheesy

That was the point of my question. Is it proper in Orthodoxy to say that 'all' that man has is extended to him by God's Divine Out Pouring of His Graces? I mean, when we are good, it is because we are sharing in the goodness of God, correct?

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2010, 11:12:12 AM »

Isn't that polytheism?

That was the point of my question. Is it proper in Orthodoxy to say that 'all' that man has is extended to him by God's Divine Out Pouring of His Graces? I mean, when we are good, it is because we are sharing in the goodness of God, correct?
This is the difference between west and east. In the east, we are naturally good and created that way. Our natural will is good and it's when we sin that we are out of communion. God made us good from the beginning. Original sin is a condition of our nature. Our nature give us a disposition toward sin. In the west man is deprived from the start. That is why the west believes children that die go to hell.

ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2010, 11:21:17 AM »

Isn't that polytheism?

This is the difference between west and east. In the east, we are naturally good and created that way. Our natural will is good and it's when we sin that we are out of communion. God made us good from the beginning. Original sin is a condition of our nature. Our nature give us a disposition toward sin. In the west man is deprived from the start. That is why the west believes children that die go to hell.

But this 'communion' is never 'completely' cut because it 'is' our life, correct? I mean to say that it is in God that we move, and breath and have our being... and so there is an extension of the life, the good, the attributes of God toward all creation but especially toward man. There is no one 'good' but God and Him alone. So I say that what 'good' we have is that which we 'share' through communion with and in God Himself. Is that not correct?

Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2010, 11:44:37 AM »

Isn't that polytheism?

But this 'communion' is never 'completely' cut because it 'is' our life, correct? I mean to say that it is in God that we move, and breath and have our being... and so there is an extension of the life, the good, the attributes of God toward all creation but especially toward man. There is no one 'good' but God and Him alone. So I say that what 'good' we have is that which we 'share' through communion with and in God Himself. Is that not correct?
God is continually offering and never ceases. It's as if we stand on a tree branch and we ourselves cut the limb. A self annulment if you will.

ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2010, 11:48:44 AM »

Isn't that polytheism?

God is continually offering and never ceases. It's as if we stand on a tree branch and we ourselves cut the limb. A self annulment if you will.

Or perhaps like babies with umbilical cords... which we are strangling with our own hands cutting ourselves off from the nourishing life of our heavenly provider...?

Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2010, 11:57:24 AM »

I like it. Grin

ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2010, 01:14:38 PM »

I like it. Grin

So, with that said, how do we square this with the analogies used by our Lord? He spoke in dualisms (Carnal and Spiritual), (Sheep and Goats)... the vine and it's branches was used to describe the 'spiritual' who have been spliced in with the 'spiritual' root of the Jewish Covenant. It seems that the Orthodox view of 'all' life being members of this 'spiritual life' in God over plays their hand at this?

What are your thoughts?

Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2010, 01:39:48 PM »

I like it. Grin

So, with that said, how do we square this with the analogies used by our Lord? He spoke in dualisms (Carnal and Spiritual), (Sheep and Goats)... the vine and it's branches was used to describe the 'spiritual' who have been spliced in with the 'spiritual' root of the Jewish Covenant. It seems that the Orthodox view of 'all' life being members of this 'spiritual life' in God over plays their hand at this?

What are your thoughts?
I would concentrate more so on the other side of that dualistic notion. This way you can put to rest the notion that mans survival is based on his spirit. If god can gather space and time there is no reason to depend on the existence of a created spirit. The gathering together of space and time is what unites. When our prayers go out to our loved ones it's because Christ will be all to all in very age. They hear us because space and time have collected within the infinite Christ. Not because they live this very moment in time.

ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2010, 02:27:34 PM »

I like it. Grin

What are your thoughts?
I would concentrate more so on the other side of that dualistic notion. This way you can put to rest the notion that mans survival is based on his spirit. If god can gather space and time there is no reason to depend on the existence of a created spirit. The gathering together of space and time is what unites. When our prayers go out to our loved ones it's because Christ will be all to all in very age. They hear us because space and time have collected within the infinite Christ. Not because they live this very moment in time.

Could you unpack your thought here a little bit for me? What is 'this other side of that dualistic notion'? Thanks.

Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2010, 03:19:19 PM »

I like it. Grin

What are your thoughts?

Could you unpack your thought here a little bit for me? What is 'this other side of that dualistic notion'? Thanks.
I don't know how to make it any clearer. Have you ever lost something to discover moments latter it was right in front of you. This is exactly what it's like.  I did find a good quote that touches on the subject.     

When the Word of God becomes bright and shining in us, and His face is dazzling as the sun, then also will His clothes be radiant, that is, the clear and distinct words of the Holy Scripture of the Gospels now no longer veiled. Then Moses and Elias will stand beside Him, that is, the more spiritual meanings of the Law and the Prophets.

St. Maximus the Confessor, Second Chapter on Knowledge,

Lenexa

Faith: Old Orthodox

VOCATUS ATQUE NON VOCATUS, DEUS ADERIT

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2010, 05:08:58 PM »

What scares me is the belief in Nirvana and other Buddhist teachings. You don't really exist at all ever. You are like a clear bottle of sea water in the ocean floating on the top. Just being tossed by the waves until you "realize" that bottle doesn't really exist. You can only be free, cured, and find the still waters that run deep by realizing you don't even exist at all! I got comfortable with it after I first learned it 14 years ago but at the time it was a terrifying thought as I was completely open to it and came to believe it for a time.
Later I was told and read that in fact many Buddhists and other Easterns (Jains, Hindus, etc.) do not see it this way. A Central Asian Buddhist told me that they believe something that bears similarities to Theosis. The Enlightened Ones are Buddhas and Bodhisattvas. They still exist but enlightenment has made them gods who have no need or attachment to anything material. She, the Central Asian Buddhist, can't remember what ethnicity, told me that it is a false western Dualism that misinterprates what they teach and attach false, negative and evil concepts and ideas where they don't exist, such as that Nirvana is complete nothingness and non-existence or that material is evil rather than attachment, that is like addiction, to the material world.
Also with regards to the comment on Christ speaking in Dualisms I have to emphatically deny this!
Christianity has no dualism. Evil has no real existence as there is no such thing as absolute evil. God created everything very Good. It is the free will rejecting God that is evil but God is Good and All Powerful. Evil has no permanence, no Life, no Truth, no reality or essence.
Only God is totally Real.
In the Bible there are paradoxes and simple oppositions but nothing that equates to dualism as it is used and understood (Good vs. Evil)
My understanding of Theosis is related to the Sacrament of Marriage. The two shall become as One. Now we all know that there is a sexual meaning to this but it is much more that that of course.
Christ is the Bridegroom and we are the brides.
God made us out of Nothingness.
To be united with God is to become god. To have Love, Life and Truth in Full!
I suppose I am too used to this to be scared by it.
I have to say what gnaws at me is the fear of death as the end. I lived for several years not believing in anything much and convinced myself that there can be no afterlife.
To have nothing after all this is a dreadful thought.
Atheism scares me . . .
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2010, 05:19:15 PM »

What scares me is the belief in Nirvana and other Buddhist teachings. You don't really exist at all ever. You are like a clear bottle of sea water in the ocean floating on the top. Just being tossed by the waves until you "realize" that bottle doesn't really exist. You can only be free, cured, and find the still waters that run deep by realizing you don't even exist at all! I got comfortable with it after I first learned it 14 years ago but at the time it was a terrifying thought as I was completely open to it and came to believe it for a time.
Later I was told and read that in fact many Buddhists and other Easterns (Jains, Hindus, etc.) do not see it this way. A Central Asian Buddhist told me that they believe something that bears similarities to Theosis. The Enlightened Ones are Buddhas and Bodhisattvas. They still exist but enlightenment has made them gods who have no need or attachment to anything material. She, the Central Asian Buddhist, can't remember what ethnicity, told me that it is a false western Dualism that misinterprates what they teach and attach false, negative and evil concepts and ideas where they don't exist, such as that Nirvana is complete nothingness and non-existence or that material is evil rather than attachment, that is like addiction, to the material world.
Also with regards to the comment on Christ speaking in Dualisms I have to emphatically deny this!
Christianity has no dualism. Evil has no real existence as there is no such thing as absolute evil. God created everything very Good. It is the free will rejecting God that is evil but God is Good and All Powerful. Evil has no permanence, no Life, no Truth, no reality or essence.
Only God is totally Real.
In the Bible there are paradoxes and simple oppositions but nothing that equates to dualism as it is used and understood (Good vs. Evil)
My understanding of Theosis is related to the Sacrament of Marriage. The two shall become as One. Now we all know that there is a sexual meaning to this but it is much more that that of course.
Christ is the Bridegroom and we are the brides.
God made us out of Nothingness.
To be united with God is to become god. To have Love, Life and Truth in Full!
I suppose I am too used to this to be scared by it.
I have to say what gnaws at me is the fear of death as the end. I lived for several years not believing in anything much and convinced myself that there can be no afterlife.
To have nothing after all this is a dreadful thought.
Atheism scares me . . .

So, to you, when Our Lord spoke of the Sheep and the Goats... the Dead and the Living... He was not speaking a 'Dualism'?

Petar

Faith:  Orthodoxs Christian
Jurisdiction: Free  Orthodoxs Christian

« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2010, 02:30:19 PM »

That s good.Beater to be scared then finish in hell.
Get_Behind_Me_Satan
2Cor. 5:15 And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.
Moderated

Jurisdiction: Julian Calender

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2010, 11:38:07 PM »

Revelation speaks loud and clear about cowards and faithless people.

Rev. 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Christianity shouldn't scare you, its God whom you should be scared of, listen:

http://www.philokalia.org/Constantine%20Zalalas/OTF/OTF42A.mp3

1John 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

“The testimonies of the western teachers I neither recognize or accept. I surmise that they are corrupted.
There can be no compromise in matters of the Orthodox Faith.”

St Mark Of Ephesus, Doctor of the church. (True Church)

Down with ecumenism!
Lenexa

Faith: Old Orthodox

VOCATUS ATQUE NON VOCATUS, DEUS ADERIT

« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2010, 10:21:29 PM »

So, to you, when Our Lord spoke of the Sheep and the Goats... the Dead and the Living... He was not speaking a 'Dualism'?

I'm sorry, I made a mistake when I was writing. Yes, what you mentioned are epistemological dualisms but I read the word dualism and immediately began thinking of metaphysical dualism. I have had many arguments over accusations of metaphysical dualism against Christianity, particularly against Orthodox and Traditionalist Roman Catholics, that I made a false assumption.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2010, 02:07:29 PM »

Isn't that polytheism?

It not the same thing. God has no beginning and no end. People have a beginning. Some people will have an end and other will be saved and have eternal life.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2010, 02:19:02 PM »

What scares me is the belief in Nirvana and other Buddhist teachings. You don't really exist at all ever. .  . . .

Hmmm.. It depends on the school of Buddhism I suppose but here is a good way to understand this.

There are Three Truths:

Relative Truth,

Absolute Truth

and both Absolute and Relative are True at the same time...   Smiley

I am Marc. But isn't this just a convention? My Mother picked the name and I go by it. But on the Absolute view of things, "Marc" is just made up. My being is  "really" something else.

Truth one: I am Marc.. This is a True statement.

Truth two : I exist in a way far beyond the mundane designations we give each other.

Truth three: Both are True at the same time, one not any more true than the other.

I am Marc and I am also more than that in ways I cant even understand. What is "Real" and then what is "Really Real".

So don't worry too much, you do exist.  Smiley

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2010, 02:29:34 PM »

In a way, the Buddhists are not really too far off in this belief. We cannot reach Theosis until we make ourselves nothing, of least importance, and put all others ahead of us. When the Apostles argued as to which of them was greatest, Christ showed us that the greatest among us must be the servant of all. So in order to be cured of self-love, we must practice loving others, to the point at which our own desires do not matter to us anymore.

So while the philosophy that this present world is illusory is not one which we Christians would share, we can appreciate the sentiment. Yet at the same time, we realise the truth that there is a spoon, and moreso a person who needs the spoon. The needs of that person for the spoon are greater than our desire to keep the spoon, and therefore we should give of what we have to help that person in need.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
yochanan
Arch-laity of the Room of Supreme Awesomeness

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (Catechumen)
Jurisdiction: OMHKSEA (Philippines)

O majestic aurora, how seeming did He fashion you!

« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2010, 09:21:01 PM »

It scared me at first, but I realized that we won't become gods, nor will we become God, but we will become "like God".

Become like God? -- Didn't the serpent also promise that?

4 "You will not surely die," the serpent said to the woman. 5  "For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil." (Gen. 3: 4-5)

Forgive me for noticing this scary similarity of Christ's and the serpent's promise.
What do the Fathers have to say?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 09:25:05 PM by yochanan » Logged

"It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us..." (Acts 15: 28)
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2010, 09:29:52 PM »

Yes, it is scary. God wants us to be reconciled to Him while we are alive. The demands are formidable and require great effort from us.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2010, 10:25:57 PM »

4 "You will not surely die," the serpent said to the woman. 5  "For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil." (Gen. 3: 4-5)

Forgive me for noticing this scary similarity of Christ's and the serpent's promise.

The Devil twisted the message. Under the Devil, instead of worshipping God, man worships himself.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2010, 10:38:09 AM »

There's a subtle difference. Christ says, "Deny yourself, take up your cross, and follow Me." In other words, we must die to ourselves in order to become like God. The serpent's lie was that we could do whatever we want and still become like God--a lie that is as appealing now as it was then.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2010, 10:47:32 AM »

What scares me is the belief in Nirvana and other Buddhist teachings. You don't really exist at all ever. .  . . .

Hmmm.. It depends on the school of Buddhism I suppose but here is a good way to understand this.

There are Three Truths:

Relative Truth,

Absolute Truth

I am Marc. But isn't this just a convention? My Mother picked the name and I go by it. But on the Absolute view of things, "Marc" is just made up. My being is  "really" something else.

Truth two : I exist in a way far beyond the mundane designations we give each other.

Truth three: Both are True at the same time, one not any more true than the other.

I am Marc and I am also more than that in ways I cant even understand. What is "Real" and then what is "Really Real".

You sound like a Buddhist...

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2010, 10:58:32 AM »

There are Three Truths:

Relative Truth,

Absolute Truth

You sound like a Buddhist...
Well, then it must be a good explanation of this particular Buddhist belief.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: