OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 04:37:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: January 2010 Post of the Month!  (Read 1696 times) Average Rating: 0
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« on: February 12, 2010, 09:45:06 AM »

(Dateline OC.net Palace) With Fr. Chris' exit from his hibernation chamber on the feast of the Presentation of Christ signaling 6 more weeks of Fasting, the Global Moderators decided to pilfer the Post of the Month ballots in order to announce the winner before the onset of Holy Week.  With the ceremonial scroll in hand, and with a payment to the Fruit Vendors Local 788 in their back pockets to cease distribution of the spoiled stuff, they exit to the balcony and declare loudly:

We are please to announce the Post of the Month winner for January 2010 is Father Giryus:

I have never visited an Ephraimite monastery, but I do know them by their fruits, and I think I can say that, as with our parishes, the fruits are mixed.

On the one hand, they have helped many folks.  On the other hand, some of the advice they give is not appropriate to the people they give it to.  For example, I know of numerous divorces that have occured because one spouse is given marital advice that bring him/her into conflict with the other.  When you take a person raised as a nominal Orthodox and suddenly, all-at-once, dump a whole lot of discipline on them, they either run or go a bit nuts.

On Mt, Athos, there was a strict, but less severe, attitude.  For example, at one monastery the abbott, seeing that I had a wedding ring, began to berate me for wearing it as a clergyman.  He went on and on, and the poor monk assisting us raced to keep pace with the translation.  In the end, the translating monk looked at me (looking rather bewildered) and said, "Don't worry about it."  It was an opinion, one strongly held, but still only an opinion.  The monk knew about how things are done in America and that my wearing a ring was not impious here.  Essentially, I wasn't considered impious for not following the admonition.  Those who have had monastic experiences here in America have told me that some monastics expect every jot and tittle of their opinions be fulfilled.

In defense of St. Anthony's Monastery, they have taken up the very difficult and much-needed task of building an understanding of Byzantine music in English.  I am very grateful that the monastery has taken a more pro-English appoach which was different from when they were first established as Greek-only institutions.  I have been told the original idea of keeping them all Greek language was to ensure that if the monasteries were driven out by necessity, the monks could be easily assimilated into Mt. Athos or other Greek monasteries.  However, now that they have become well-established and are not going anywhere, they are looking to minister to the Church here in America.

While I have a great deal of respect for monastics and monasticism, I think it is important not to idealize them.  They are imperfect and tempted as we all are.  I would be cautious about taking advice from someone who has no experience in the area in which he speaks.  For example, when I am asked to give marital advice, I always begin with a disclaimer that I am not a couselor and that I can only speak of my own experience in marriage.

And, one must take responsibility for the advice one is given.  Many people want a mind-reading elder who will save them the great hassle of having to peer within themselves and discover, through tears, what it is that ills them.  Clarvoyance is only helpful to kick-start a soddened conscience, but reliance on it is laziness.  We need to discover our inner world for ourselves.

Anyway, that's my 2¢.
"

And as the crowds erupted with the usual cry of
AXIOS!  AXIOS!  AXIOS!
the Global Moderators slipped the money to the vendors and thanked them for their help.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 10:50:37 AM »

Axios! indeed.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 11:16:49 AM »

This is great pastoral wisdom.  Thanks for sharing Fr. Giryus.  Thanks for acknowledging, Admins.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 12:22:03 PM »

Axios!

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 12:33:24 PM »

AXIOS!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 12:39:23 PM »

Worthy!

"No man gives the same exegesis twice: for he is not the same man, and it is not the same text." - St. Heraclitus
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 01:00:04 PM »

AXIOS!

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 03:31:23 PM »

AXIOS!
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 03:38:44 PM »

Kudos to the Global Moderators for being able to pick just one POM from Father Giryus' many great posts.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 05:35:01 PM »

Kudos to the Global Moderators for being able to pick just one POM from Father Giryus' many great posts. 

The bit about the Global Mods selecting is actually just a joke inserted into the story line.  The winner of the Post of the Month is determined by a vote of the Moderatorial staff (Section Mods, Global Mods, and Admins), not just one segment (Admins or Globals).  Thank you for the well-wishes, though!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 05:50:47 PM »

AXIOS indeed!

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 07:41:39 PM »

Worthy!

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 08:58:48 PM »

Axios! Axios! Axios!

I agree, to pick just ONE of his posts is a difficult task!

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 01:39:39 AM »

Axios! Axios! Axios!

I agree, to pick just ONE of his posts is a difficult task!
We like it when our task is difficult, since that means we have more nominees to read.  More POM nominees is always a good thing. Grin

AXIOS!
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 01:13:45 PM »

I am flattered and humbled.  Glory to God alone!

As a relatively new person here, I would like to thank the Moderators for their constant attentiveness in making this a saner place than other forums I have been involved in.  You all are the truly Worthy ones!

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
Tags: Post of the Month 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: