OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 02, 2014, 12:44:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question on Menorahs and Revelation 1:12  (Read 1375 times) Average Rating: 0
Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« on: February 12, 2010, 05:11:16 AM »

I was wondering here on something: what exactly is the difference between the Menorah mentioned in Revelation 1:12 (and any other mentioned in Revelation), their number of branches, and the traditional Jewish Menorahs. How are the differences in them reflected in the difference between Judaism and Christianity. I heard the Menorahs mentioned in the NT have 9 branches, the ones used in Judaism (traditional, not the special hannukah one) has 12.

I am NOT a representative of the ACOE. Ignore my posts
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 06:52:40 AM »

The Menorah used in the Temple had 7 branches. Some synagogues have 7 branched menorahs as an ornamment, but these are usually not lit, or are lit with electric lights instead of candles.

The 9 branch menorah (if used) is used during Hanukkah. If a menorah is used for Hanukkah it is also called a hanukiah. 1 candle is used to light the other candles each night of the festival; light 1 the 1st night, 2 the 2nd night and so forth until they're all lit on the 8th night. Why 9 candles for only 8 nights? The candle used to light the ohters isn't counted.

Any group of candles will do, and i've seen Hanukkah menorahs and candle holders made of tin, glass, plaster, even apples or potatoes. Making a hanukiah out of interesting, unussual materials is a fun craft project for kids.

I've never heard of a 12 branched menorah.

Proverbs 22:7
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 02:30:20 PM »

Much of Revelation isn't to be taken literally. Just like the "1000 year reign" is not literally 1000 years...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 02:31:13 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 08:57:12 PM »

I confused the 7 branch one with 12 branches. I just wanted the exact theological differences between those mentioned in the NT and the classical ones.

I am NOT a representative of the ACOE. Ignore my posts
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: