OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 01:36:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Modalists?  (Read 7590 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2010, 01:43:28 PM »

Sorry for being a Johnny-come-lately to this thread, but just had to mention that not all Protestants adhere to a flawed view of the Trinity. My family is Southern Baptist, and since my conversion, many of the elder members of my family have investigated our theology and emphatically agree with Orthodox Trinitarian doctrine, including rejection of the Filioque (or rather the implications thereof. Being Baptist, they reject creeds outright). This agreement in Trinitarian theology is a major reason why they have quit proselytizing, and in fact, outright approved of my conversion.

Anyway, my point is that there ARE in fact some Protestants who hold correct Trinitarian beliefs. Our friend Cleopas seems, based on my reading of the thread, to be included in that number.
In the Southern Baptist Faith & Message page, the only major difference (regarding the Trinity) from Orthodoxy I could find (after a brief scan) was that the Baptist F & M did not mention Christ's descent into Hades.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 01:44:32 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2010, 01:53:15 PM »

Sorry for being a Johnny-come-lately to this thread, but just had to mention that not all Protestants adhere to a flawed view of the Trinity. My family is Southern Baptist, and since my conversion, many of the elder members of my family have investigated our theology and emphatically agree with Orthodox Trinitarian doctrine, including rejection of the Filioque (or rather the implications thereof. Being Baptist, they reject creeds outright). This agreement in Trinitarian theology is a major reason why they have quit proselytizing, and in fact, outright approved of my conversion.

Anyway, my point is that there ARE in fact some Protestants who hold correct Trinitarian beliefs. Our friend Cleopas seems, based on my reading of the thread, to be included in that number.
You are correct. In fact, the vast majority of Protestants are not Modalists.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2010, 02:02:01 PM »

I'm not too sure about that. I would agree that the vast majority of Protestants who are educated on the Trinity are not modalists, but there are lots of Protestants "on the street" who will describe God in modalistic (not to mention Arianistic) terms.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 02:03:09 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2010, 02:06:43 PM »

I'm not too sure about that. I would agree that the vast majority of Protestants who are educated on the Trinity are not modalists, but there are lots of Protestants "on the street" who will describe God in modalistic (not to mention Arianistic) terms.
Let me clarify. The vast majority of protestant denominations profess Trinitarianism and reject Modalism. However, that doesn't mean that the average Protestant on the street neccessarily understands what the doctrine of the Trinity is about.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Jake C
Catechumen

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Diocese of Wichita and Mid-America

« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2010, 04:29:47 PM »

Let me clarify. The vast majority of protestant denominations profess Trinitarianism and reject Modalism. However, that doesn't mean that the average Protestant on the street neccessarily understands what the doctrine of the Trinity is about.

I apologize if my post seemed to accuse Protestantism at large of holding Modalist beliefs. Quite the contrary, I was simply clarifying that there are some reformed Protestants do hold the same Trinitarian beliefs as the Orthodox Church, i.e. rejecting the implications of the Filioque clause. This was meant to be in response to deusveritasest's sweeping generalization that all Protestants affirm the Filioque (or for non-credals, the implications thereof), thus resulting in their worship of a different God.

I must admit, based solely on my past experience in various Reformed traditions (before conversion was a lifelong Baptist, and attended many Bible studies in Presbyterian, Trinitarian Pentecostal, and Nazarene churches), I would venture to say that you are correct in noting that your average (I'll narrow it down to Reformed) Protestant does not really grasp the doctrine of the Trinity. I can't speak for Magisterial traditions, as I really have no experience with those, aside from attending two or three Christmas Eve services in a Methodist church as a child. I will say that in all my years as a Baptist, it was NEVER preached on. The summation of our exposure to the Trinity was being baptized in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, as well as one traditional hymn ("Holy, Holy, Holy") that I remember saying "God in Three Persons, Blessed Trinity", but that song got phased out with the rise of contemporary Protestant worship music (read: pop-rock with shallow lyrics). However, there really are some relatively "informed" Protestants who actually know the in's and out's of their tradition's confessions.

Blessed art Thou, O Lord, teach me Thy statutes.
Cleopas
Bible Thumping, Tongue Talking, Faith Walking Christian
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Charismatic Evangelical

If I'm my own Pope then I claim infalliablity. Ha!

perfecthart
« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2010, 05:33:05 AM »

Thank you friend, for the kindness exhibited in that reply.  Wink Smiley

Cleopas
Christopher Hart

"Every one, though born of God in an instant, yet undoubtedly grows by slow degrees” -- John Wesley
Tags: modalism Sabellianism heresy Trinity 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: