OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 07:45:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Learning Greek.  (Read 3944 times)
Christianus
Elder

Faith: ¿esse an non esse Orthodoxus?

« on: February 11, 2010, 10:26:27 AM »

New testament Greek is blowing my mind away... so far I know most of the declensions of nouns, but the verb is so hard...
(where could I learn to conjugate Greek verbs?)
I find Modern Greek grammar to be a lot easier, yet irregular still as ancient Greek( Latin is so regular just only like 1 irregular stem).
And the native Speakers to practice modern Greek with is so rare... unless any of you want to talk on msn or skype.
Greek is so unnecessarily hard,  someone help me...
I'm drowning in unneeded difficulty of no native speakers, and proper language materials.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 12:42:51 PM »

I particularly like this grammar:
New Testament Greek - Second Edition (Hardcover) Gerald L. Stevens

http://www.amazon.com/New-Testament-Greek-Gerald-Stevens/dp/0761808922/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265906295&sr=1-5
http://www.amazon.com/Testament-Greek-Workbook-Gerald-Stevens/dp/0819195995/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265906542&sr=1-1

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 02:22:02 PM »

If one learns New Testament (Koine?) Greek, then would one be able to read most Greek classics (philosophy, etc.) as well as later Greek patristics?  Or are those different forms of Greek?
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 02:27:27 PM »

If one learns New Testament (Koine?) Greek, then would one be able to read most Greek classics (philosophy, etc.) as well as later Greek patristics? 

No, you'd struggle. But if you learnt Classical Greek, Koine wouldn't be too difficult to pick up.
Cymbyz
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 02:30:38 PM »

Attic Greek (the language of the Athenian philosophers and dramatists if the Golden Age) is arout 500 years older than Koine, and is linguistically more complex.  The Erasmian pronunciation of Greek was derived from a study of Attic Greek poetry; by the time of the NT, Greek had undergone systematic sound- and form-change that was to eventuate in Byzantine Greek as you see and hear it in the Liturgy.

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 05:05:30 PM »

So if I learned Koine Greek would I be able to read Byzantine Greek?
Christianus
Elder

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 05:31:35 PM »

Well it'd be a different style probably I'm guessing, Biblical Latin is so different in Syntax from Cicero and Caesar, so simple, while Cicero and Caesar can store such huge number of clauses in a single sentence, even making each sentence 50-100 words long, and so many more amazing grammatical skills.
Christianus
Elder

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 05:50:13 PM »

Well it'd be a different style probably I'm guessing, Biblical Latin is so different in Syntax from Cicero and Caesar, so simple, while Cicero and Caesar can store such huge number of clauses in a single sentence, even making each sentence 50-100 words long, and so many more amazing grammatical skills.
Indirect Clauses have a different style
like the use of the conjunction «that» would be said differently classically.
James 1:3  γινώσκοντες ὅτι τὸ δοκίμιον ὑμῶν τῆς πίστεως κατεργάζεται ὑπομονήν.
3  scientes quod probatio fidei vestrae patientiam operatur
3  Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.
since I don't know Greek, I'll use Latin to show you the classical indirect style of stating things.

The Classical Translation of this verse is:
Scientes probationem fidei vestrae patientiam operari.
Knowing the trying of your faith to work patience.
We appreciate the Classical form because it's clearer, clearly shown in this example.
They believe that they're good, They believe them to be good (others)
they believe that they're good, they believe themselves to be good (themselves)
In the popular syntax, we have no idea of who's they, themselves or some other people.
But in the classical we know very clearly.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 06:06:13 PM by Christianus » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 07:54:32 PM »

What would be the fastest way to learn the NT Greek?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 08:08:56 PM »

Data transfer.

I'm going to need this.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 08:22:30 PM »

Data transfer.

at 1.436 KB/s too slow  Wink

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 08:50:18 PM »

Data transfer.

at 1.436 KB/s too slow  Wink
That is slow, but it's much faster than the way I half did it.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 08:56:23 PM »

Greeks pronounce "KeeNEE"

Love never fails.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 09:02:59 PM »

Greeks pronounce "KeeNEE"
I learned that one the hard way.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Andrew Crook
formerly known as AveChriste11
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2011, 12:25:53 PM »

Wow I only know a couple of things..

"Kyrie eleison" = "Lord have mercy"

"Parahus Kyrie" = "Grant this, Lord"

"Si, Kyrie"  "To You, Oh Lord"

"Thoxa patrikio ee kay ei ai o pnevmati".. still unsure about that, but I think it's supposed to be something similar to "Glory to the Father, to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit"?

I'm pretty positive that "Thoxa patri kee oh, thoxa si"  is "Glory to you Lord, Glory to you" ...

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith; Which faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly. And the catholic faith is this: That we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity
Cymbyz
Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2011, 01:27:31 AM »

Kyrie eleison. - Lord have mercy.
Paraschou Kyrie. - Grant it, O Lord.
Dhoxa Patri ke Io ke Agio Pnevmati. - Glory to Father and Son and Holy Spirit.
Ke nyn ke ai, ke is tous eonas ton eonon, Amin. - Now and ever, even for ages of ages, Amen.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 01:28:40 AM by Cymbyz » Logged

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
Andrew Crook
formerly known as AveChriste11
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2011, 01:29:54 AM »

Ke nyn ke ai, ke is tous eonas ton eonon, Amin. - Now and ever, even for ages of ages, Amen.

Was I correct that the C in Paraschou Kyrie is silent? Therefore sounding like Paras hu  Kyrie? 

Also, is the "Dh" in Dhoxa.. pronounced like Th in "the" and "that"? 

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith; Which faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly. And the catholic faith is this: That we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2011, 02:53:14 AM »

Was I correct that the C in Paraschou Kyrie is silent? Therefore sounding like Paras hu  Kyrie? 

Also, is the "Dh" in Dhoxa.. pronounced like Th in "the" and "that"? 

The "ch" in "paraschou, Kyrie" is pronounced like that back-of-the-throat gargling sound you often hear Arabs making. If you can't make that sound, an "h" sound as strong as you can muster is probably closest. "Paras'hou, Kyrie".

And, yes, the "dh" in "dhoxa" is pronounced like the "th" in "the", but not like the "th" in "theatre".

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 02:55:06 AM by akimori makoto » Logged

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2011, 12:06:23 PM »

The "ch" in "paraschou, Kyrie" is pronounced like that back-of-the-throat gargling sound you often hear Arabs making. If you can't make that sound, an "h" sound as strong as you can muster is probably closest. "Paras'hou, Kyrie".

This sound also exists in Slavic languages and is conveyed by the Cyrillic letter X in my native Ukrainian. So, for me, it is easy and natural to pronounce it in "parasxu," "Xristos," "evxaristo" ("thank you"), "psixe" ("soul" or "life"), "Axrantas" ("Most Pure," one of the titles of the Theotokos), etc.

For an English speaker, maybe the clset to the X sound is "ch" in Scottich "Loch."

Love never fails.
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2011, 06:23:17 PM »

His book for the second year of study is:
New Testament Greek Intermediate: From Morphology to Translation
Gerald Stevens ISBN-13: 978-0718892005
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2011, 06:56:21 PM »

You must learn Greek. As the Greeks are God's Chosen People, and Greek is the Holy Language.

Forgive my sins.
Kerdy
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2012, 04:39:34 PM »

Within the next few years, my hope is to attend one of the Orthodox Seminaries here in America.  Both of the two I have looked into require a basic language ability of either Greek or Russian.  A friend of mine speaks a little Russian and said it is extremely difficult to learn.  I wonder if Greek would be easier or more difficult.  My church is Greek Orthodox and I can work my way through the parts they speak Greek, but mainly because the Liturgy book we use has it written in an English version on the right hand side and it is only small parts.

If anyone has any guidance, I would very much appreciate the help!

EDIT:

Also, is the requirement for modern language or ancient language for acceptance into the school?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 04:40:56 PM by Kerdy » Logged
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2012, 04:57:57 PM »

You must learn Greek. As the Greeks are God's Chosen People, and Greek is the Holy Language.

You should learn Greek if you have the time/means. As Greek was the lingua franca in the Eastern Mediterranean at the time of Christ, and Greek is the language of the Holy Scriptures, the Divine Liturgy, the Ecumenical Councils, and many of our most important Church Fathers  Smiley
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 04:58:51 PM by Orthodox11 » Logged
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2012, 03:23:31 AM »

If the Greeks are God's chosen people, why is Greece in so much difficulty now? And why do Macedonians reject their leadership for the former yugoslav republic of macedonia?
BTW, I thought that the British were God's chosen people. Don't they always ask God to save their Queen?
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2012, 04:01:26 AM »

If the Greeks are God's chosen people, why is Greece in so much difficulty now? And why do Macedonians reject their leadership for the former yugoslav republic of macedonia?
BTW, I thought that the British were God's chosen people. Don't they always ask God to save their Queen?

No, no, the Americans are God's chosen people; manifest destiny and all that.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2012, 12:29:28 PM »

Supreme amount of sarcasm, I'm not even Greek.

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2012, 12:29:28 PM »

You should learn Greek if you have the time/means. As Greek was the lingua franca in the Eastern Mediterranean at the time of Christ, and Greek is the language of the Holy Scriptures, the Divine Liturgy, the Ecumenical Councils, and many of our most important Church Fathers  Smiley

I'm not saying it is bad, I'm not even saying you shouldn't I don't mind Greek, I wouldn't mind learning some one day. I just think that a lot of times people put WAY too much emphasis on it.

Forgive my sins.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2012, 01:13:24 PM »

I'm not saying it is bad, I'm not even saying you shouldn't I don't mind Greek, I wouldn't mind learning some one day. I just think that a lot of times people put WAY too much emphasis on it.

Well considering that Greek is the language of the OT, NT, and 95% of the Fathers in the last 2000 years...i'd say we're not putting TOO much emphasis on it.   Wink

I would definitely recommend anyone to learn Greek.  Russian is tough & the consonant clusters are really difficult to pronounce.  There's silent letters, and all kinds of conjugations.  Greek might end up being easier. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2012, 01:34:19 PM »

I just think that a lot of times people put WAY too much emphasis on it.

I wish that was the case.

Well considering that Greek is the language of the OT, NT, and 95% of the Fathers in the last 2000 years...i'd say we're not putting TOO much emphasis on it.   Wink

Indeed. Silly My Big Fat Greek Wedding stereotypes aside, Christians in general seem to place almost no emphasis on the importance of Greek at all. In the context of modern Orthodoxy, the Greek language seems to be considered no more than part of a particular ethnic tradition, no different from Romanian, Slavonic, or English - it's the liturgical language of the Greeks and if you're not Greek it's of no relevance to you.

Greek is not just the language of Greeks, but part of the common heritage of all Christians, and anyone able to learn it would benefit tremendously from doing so.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2012, 02:10:25 PM »

Greek is not just the language of Greeks, but part of the common heritage of all Christians, and anyone able to learn it would benefit tremendously from doing so.

Maybe I'm still sensitive to it from all the racist Greeks, who told me that "Orthodoxy is for Greeks, not for Scandinavians". Then when I become Orthodox everyone keeps asking "Why? You aren't Greek.". I also am expected to speak Greek everytime I go into a Greek church, and I get very ugly looks. That's why avoid Greek churches everytime I can.

Forgive my sins.
Orest
OC.net guru

« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2012, 02:21:46 PM »

New testament Greek is blowing my mind away... so far I know most of the declensions of nouns, but the verb is so hard...
(where could I learn to conjugate Greek verbs?)
I find Modern Greek grammar to be a lot easier, yet irregular still as ancient Greek( Latin is so regular just only like 1 irregular stem).
And the native Speakers to practice modern Greek with is so rare... unless any of you want to talk on msn or skype.
Greek is so unnecessarily hard,  someone help me...
I'm drowning in unneeded difficulty of no native speakers, and proper language materials.
Make up your mind if you want to learn NT Greek or modern Greek and then sign up for a course.  That is the best way to learn a language.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2012, 02:35:03 PM »

Maybe I'm still sensitive to it from all the racist Greeks, who told me that "Orthodoxy is for Greeks, not for Scandinavians". Then when I become Orthodox everyone keeps asking "Why? You aren't Greek.". I also am expected to speak Greek everytime I go into a Greek church, and I get very ugly looks. That's why avoid Greek churches everytime I can.

I'm really sorry that those things happened to you.  I usually respond by saying "well it was your people who gave us christianity.  no take-backs"  lol.   Grin Wink Cheesy

I think also though it is good to separate our life experiences from what people are asking us.  is it a good idea to learn greek in order to better understand orthodox teachings?  Yes.  Is the greek language the end-all to be-all?  Nope.  Healthy distinctions are always good.

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2012, 03:02:29 PM »

I'm really sorry that those things happened to you.  I usually respond by saying "well it was your people who gave us christianity.  no take-backs"  lol.   Grin Wink Cheesy

I think also though it is good to separate our life experiences from what people are asking us.  is it a good idea to learn greek in order to better understand orthodox teachings?  Yes.  Is the greek language the end-all to be-all?  Nope.  Healthy distinctions are always good.

Good response, Father.

I too have had people say to me, "You no looka Greek. Did husband convert you to Orthodoxy?"

I reply, "No, I helped convert my husband to Orthodoxy?"

Then they do a double take and respond, "Are you a Papadoupolos? 

Then I have received this comment: "When you chanted in Greek during the Liturgy, I was sure that you were from Athens."

Yes, I am now trying to learn conversational Greek. Any hints?

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2012, 03:08:02 PM »

There are series from Cortina or Teach Yourself that you can get in the library sometimes.  Smiley
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2012, 03:10:20 PM »

I would definitely recommend anyone to learn Greek.  Russian is tough & the consonant clusters are really difficult to pronounce.  There's silent letters, and all kinds of conjugations.  Greek might end up being easier. 

And if you have studied Spanish, then Greek is much easier to learn
Not only are many Greek words found in Spanish, (el mapa, el programma, el Cristo, la ecclesia), but also the phonetics is very similar. I was told that while native Spanish speakers roll the initial /r/ in words, the Greeks tend to roll all their /r/s whether initial, medial or as part of a consonant blend. For example, in Xristos Anesti, I have heard Greeks roll that /r/ in the consonant blend /xr/.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2012, 03:12:14 PM »

Thank you. I know it isn't all Greeks that are like that, and not even most of them. But the minority that do it are just so obnoxious. lol. I feel sad, because there are so many nice Greek folkes around, but I feel I have to stay from their church because of some of the others in the parish bother me with Greek nationalism.

I agree with you, it is a good idea to learn Greek to help understand Orthodox teachings. I just want to make sure people know that they should for educational purposes, not because Orthodoxy is culturally Greek. Because so many people associate Orthodoxy with Greek culture, which isn't fair.

Forgive my sins.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2012, 06:20:52 PM »

I agree with you, it is a good idea to learn Greek to help understand Orthodox teachings. I just want to make sure people know that they should for educational purposes, not because Orthodoxy is culturally Greek. Because so many people associate Orthodoxy with Greek culture, which isn't fair.

I think the best way to do that is for people who aren't Greek to emphasise the fact that the Greek language is part of their Christian heritage by promoting and using it. Much like the expression "Greek Orthodox", which has nothing to do with being of a particular ethnicity, nor does it refer to the Balkan republic with Athens as its capital. In this it is quite unlike the terms "Romanian Orthodox", "Serbian Orthodox", etc. which refer to specific geographical areas and/or national identities.

The Greek language, being something all Christians have in common, should serve to emphasise the universality of the Church, not be seen as something divisive. Petty nationalism - whether its Greek chauvanism or anti-Greek chauvanism (I actually see the latter far more often) - has no place in the Church.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2012, 01:16:47 AM »

I too have had people say to me, "You no looka Greek. Did husband convert you to Orthodoxy?"

I reply, "No, I helped convert my husband to Orthodoxy?"

I get the same thing, my fiancee is Puerto Rican, and she looks Greek to a lot of people. So when we go to a church, they always assume I am there because of her. lol

Forgive my sins.
Tags: Learning Greek. 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: