OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 05:33:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help installing a DVD player  (Read 631 times) Average Rating: 0
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« on: February 06, 2010, 12:25:49 AM »

Can anybody help me with this.

I am trying to install a DVD/VHS player to my T.V.  So far I have set it up so that I can watch movies but not record off the T.V.  In fact, I cannot seem to get a picture on the T.V. screen when the DVD player is on.  In order to play movies, I have to put the T.V. on another setting (input 4).

I am not sure if I have to still hook something up to the T.V. from the DVD player.  So far, I have three wires, a white, yellow, and red one hooked up from the DVD to my T.V.  I'm not sure if I'm supposed to have them hooked here or to my DVR/satellite box?  I need to be able to get a picture from the T.V. while the DVD player is on at the same time in order to be able to record stuff.  My DVR only has thirty five hours on it and I have so much stuff that I have had saved for a long time that I want to record that it's overflowing.

Sorry that I can't explain this better but I am tech retarded.  Hopefully, some kind soul can figure out what I'm talking about and give me some advice?

Thank you for any assistance that can be given.

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 10:37:45 PM »

Have you tried turning it off and on again? Wink Tech support joke.

First of all, your DVD/VCR will not record a digital signal. Your DVR can do that. So the fact that you cannot record to the VCR is not an indication that the VCR is not working, only that it's obsolete. Grin

The rest of your problem is hard for me to give advice on, without actually being able to see your inputs/outputs/connections. Since you describe a red, white, and yellow cable, I'm assuming you do not have an HDTV? For regular old televisions, you should see on the back several slots coloured red, white, and yellow. Make sure the colour of the cable matches the colour of the slot. If they are connected properly, next check to see if the inputs are labeled. You should see something like "Input 1" or "Video 1." Let me know what all the labels are, as well as the colour of each slot.

Lastly, to you subscribe to Dish? That'll make it easier for me since I subscribe to them. DirecTV uses pretty similar equipment, though, so it shouldn't be too big of a deal. If you could let me know the model number of your DVR (for example, mine's a Dish VIP722), that'd also help. The model number should be right on the front of the DVR.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 11:18:18 PM »

As usual ytterbiumanalyst is correct. If the tv offers a video output you might be able to send the vcr/dvd an analog signal.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 01:53:03 AM »

Thank you for this help.  I get my T.V. through a Dish Network satellite box which has a DVR inside it.  So far, I have the wires from the DVD player hooked up directly to the T.V. set and not to the dish box.  In order to watch something on the DVD player, I have to set the T.V. to input 4.  It is confusing because, in order to record off the T.V. onto the DVD, I must get a picture directly on the television from the satelite while;e the DVD player is on.  I think that I have have to set up an auxiliary channel or get a co Axel cable hooked up directly to the dish box.  I am not quite sure how this works though.

I'll try to get more info about the dish box soon.

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: