OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 06:57:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Ark of the Covenant and the Ethiopian Orthodox Church  (Read 1995 times) Average Rating: 0
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« on: February 10, 2010, 05:18:34 PM »

I have a few questions concerning the Ark, well mainly the practices that surround it. I know that the Ark is kept is a small church in Axum and it is guarded by a single monk who keeps watch over it and I was wondering, after a keeper of the Ark dies, how is another chosen? Is there a certain monastery that he is chosen from? Does the Patriarch choose the guardian? My next question concerns the replica Arks which are kept in Ethiopian churches. Is there anything placed inside these replica Arks such as a copy of the Ten Commandments?
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 06:31:27 PM »

IIRC the monk guarding the (alleged) Ark chooses his succesor on his deathbed.

Proverbs 22:7
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 10:10:10 PM »

Every EOTC Church has "Tabots," or replicas of the two tablets of the Ten Commandments. On special holy days, the Priests carry these veiled Tabots out from the altar in procession around the Church.

Selam

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 02:29:16 AM »

Does somebody other than the guardian get to ever see the Ark? I heard all the guardians suffer from cataracts just before dying and that this might be proof of the great light emanating from the Ark spoken of in scripture. I believe its the real Ark by the way. Here's why: the modern scholarly fable is that the Portuguese thought the Ark was in Ethiopia and then Ethiopans believed that from the Portuguese, but the Portuguese tell me that the Ethiopans told THEM about the Ark not the other way round. Also Kebra Negast, King Menelik and the priests fleeing from Mannaseh. I believe its the real Ark.

I am NOT a representative of the ACOE. Ignore my posts
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 05:55:23 PM »

Thanks for the answers.

Does somebody other than the guardian get to ever see the Ark? I heard all the guardians suffer from cataracts just before dying and that this might be proof of the great light emanating from the Ark spoken of in scripture. I believe its the real Ark by the way. Here's why: the modern scholarly fable is that the Portuguese thought the Ark was in Ethiopia and then Ethiopans believed that from the Portuguese, but the Portuguese tell me that the Ethiopans told THEM about the Ark not the other way round. Also Kebra Negast, King Menelik and the priests fleeing from Mannaseh. I believe its the real Ark.

I would also say though that there is a lot of historical evidence to suggest that the Ark is in Ethiopia. Tana Kirkos monastery on Lake Tana in Ethiopia has many ancient artifacts that would suggest that Levite priests were there and there are also some key holes in the ground that once held poles and they measure to the same size as what the tabernacle was. I also believe that the Ethiopian Church has it.
Tags: Ark of the Covenant 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: