OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 03, 2014, 01:10:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How will you spend Old Calendar Nativity?  (Read 1130 times) Average Rating: 0
gregory2
Elder

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!

« on: December 30, 2003, 07:35:20 PM »

I'm a (heathen) new-Calendarist, and I'd though it'd be interesting to see how other new Calendarists will be spending Jan 7th.  Will you honor it as the Nativity at all?  I remember reading Fr. Alexander Schmemann writing that having "2 Christmases" defeats the purpose of the Nativity altogether.

I'll probably be working!   Smiley     My parish is having a Divine Liturgy that day for people who hold a sentimental attachment to Jan 7th as the Nativity.

"Anything that is worth accomplishing cannot be accomplished in a lifetime." - the Holy Fathers
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2003, 05:13:23 AM »

Well we celebrate the Resurrection each Sunday so I don't see a problem with celebrating something important more than once a year. I will certainly be thinking of, and remembering in prayer, all the Old Calendarists who are celebrating that day.

In fact my bishop and some of the clergy and lay folk of the BOC will be with the Eritrean Orthodox that day I think keeping the feast with them, even though we keep it on the 25th.

I would be fairly happy using the OC though I understand the positive benefits in our context of using the NC.

Next year I will try and make St Nicholas' day and Epiphany more important in the family.

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Justinianus
Elder

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2003, 09:12:25 AM »

No plans at all.  It will not be honored as a second nativity day.

I do however agree with Peter in his points.  Since God and his actions are not dependent on time, the Glory of the Nativity is not isolated to a particular day.

"If we truly think of Christ as our source of holiness, we shall refrain from anything wicked or impure in thought or act and thus show ourselves to be worthy bearers of his name.  For the quality of holiness is shown not by what we say but by what w
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2003, 10:27:03 AM »

HEATHENS!!!! HERETICS!!!!
I like any true believer will be in church.  

:-D
« Last Edit: December 31, 2003, 10:34:24 AM by ania » Logged

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2003, 02:22:58 PM »

HEATHENS!!!! HERETICS!!!!
I like any old believer will be in church.  

:-D

Fixed that for ya.    Cool

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: