OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 02:41:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: And they call themselves Christians . . . . .  (Read 24569 times) Average Rating: 0
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« on: December 30, 2003, 04:30:08 PM »

I recently sent off a message to many of the staff at CF asking for some explanations of the poor way in which I was treated before I abandon the forum completely - and you know not one has yet offered me any explanation for why I was banned.  I have to say that I am completely disgusted with their secretive  ways.  You would think that after contacting the owner of the forum, much of the sr staff and several of the moderators just ONE person would send a message saying - this is why you were banned.  2 weeks and nothing.  And they call themselves Christians.

okay thats my rant for today.

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
the slave
intolerant of intolerance
High Elder

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: UGCC

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2003, 04:34:39 PM »

Feeling better now Grin

Have to admit  it does not seem reasonable

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2003, 04:36:39 PM »

What's CF?

Obviously somewhere I better not go.

PT

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org
Study the Orthodox Faith online with the London School of Orthodox Christian Studies
http://www.lsocs.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2003, 04:37:04 PM »

slave: I'm most ticked off by the fact that I really liked that place.  I liked so many of the people and was okay with the rules.  But part of the rules was that a person would be NOTIFIED AND WARNED before action would be taken.  I recieved no notification no warning - just got banned.  NOW no one can seem to offer an answer for WHY the action was taken.

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2003, 04:38:34 PM »

What's CF?

Obviously somewhere I better not go.

PT

Another forum.  if you would like the address I can IM it to you, but I will not post it here in this forum. Some of the other members here are also members there (which is how I ended up here) and one member here is a moderator there.

Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2003, 04:39:52 PM »

No, don't bother. I am trying hard enough here to think a little before I post, witness a massive rewriting of a reply to Linus7 which was written too hastily. The last thing I need is to get drawn into anywhere else at the mo.

PT

Study the Orthodox Faith online with the London School of Orthodox Christian Studies

the slave
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2003, 05:21:14 PM »

Br Max

If you want a laugh I got banned from an RC Forum without warning too --they apparently sent me a PM but by the time I was notified of it they had done the deed Grin

So I got on again with a different Computer  and ISP and just managed to get off before they did it again.

I'm not RC enough for them ___ ME HuhHuh?? Not RC enough.

Oh I'm on there again but I'm totally fed up with the attitude there.

I think it's coming off the Computer before I do something really silly

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2003, 05:28:35 PM »

I've been banned from a homosexual list run by an ex-Orthodox priest because I kept asking questions that were interpreted as bigotry and homophobia. I'm neither I hope. But I often find that liberals are the most intolerant folk.

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2003, 05:29:52 PM »

I've been banned from a homosexual list run by an ex-Orthodox priest because I kept asking questions that were interpreted as bigotry and homophobia. I'm neither I hope. But I often find that liberals are the most intolerant folk.

AH the whole acceptance confused with tolerance gig.  *sigh*

the slave
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2003, 05:37:42 PM »

Hmm - maybe it's time to start a thread on bannings and see who has most   Grin Grin Grin

well let's say most for stupid reasons

- St. John Maximovitch
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2003, 05:45:13 PM »

the slave: this is the only time I have been banned.  I have chosen to leave places of my own accord, but this is the first time I have been banned.  MIND YOU - that there have been people who wanted to see me banned from different places for perceived infractions.  Like in the Yahoo! Chat catholic rooms there are those who would like me banned for being a “fake.”  Since there is no possible way some one can be a brother or a franciscan without being roman catholic. Roll Eyes

the slave
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2003, 05:52:25 PM »

Oh it has to be admitted I am not the only one here who has been banned from that particular RC Board. It used to be reasonably friendly to Eastern folk - but not now Sad But if they try and get rid of me again I won't be able to read the banning message - Iv'e forgotten my hotmail password Grin

- St. John Maximovitch
the slave
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2003, 05:54:01 PM »

Vicki - you want sweetness and light for the future - and it's New Years Eve tomorrow ??

Lumps of coal and shortie and WHISKY

- St. John Maximovitch
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2003, 05:55:24 PM »

Well I left the Indiana list after months of abuse and months of staying awake all night composing lengthy posts which were just responded to with more abuse.

And I left OrthodoxWest after I objected to it being considered fair game by the listowner, who I've known for many years on and of, that Roman Catholics should be called 'Papists' and I should be called a 'Monophysite' because it was an Orthodox list and if I didn't like it......

I've just tailed off other lists when they became fruitless and passion causing.

I am trying hard here to not respond to each and every polemical opportunity, to wait in patience and with thoughtfulness, and win friends rather than crush enemies under the weight of my gigantic intellect. Smiley

And the idea of wishing a blessing on the one that is being responded to what as good idea.

PT

Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2003, 06:04:59 PM »

Me, I've got a pint of Caffrey's

the slave
High Elder

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2003, 06:12:28 PM »

I've a pint oif Ruddles County

- St. John Maximovitch
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2003, 06:21:55 PM »

BOOZERS!! you'll all burn in hell!!

Pass the Souther Comfort will you. Wink

the slave
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2003, 06:36:35 PM »

And you think you won't ??

- St. John Maximovitch
TomS
Banned
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2003, 06:45:45 PM »

Pass the Souther Comfort will you. Wink

Br. Max -- real men drink Ouzo. In fact I am drinking some now and grilling some pork ribs outside (ran down here to check on things).

Wanted to make sure I had not been banned  Grin
« Last Edit: December 30, 2003, 06:49:26 PM by Tom+ú » Logged
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2003, 06:48:35 PM »

What's Souther Comfort? Did you mean Southron Comfort?

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2003, 06:53:31 PM »

HEATHENS the lot of you!! I'm just going to go sit in the corner and drink my southern comfort!

http://www.basketsandbeanies.com/images/southerncomfortsign.jpg
« Last Edit: December 30, 2003, 06:56:56 PM by Br. Max, OFC » Logged

Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2003, 06:59:50 PM »

Yeah, you do that. And don't come out until you are prepared to drink a good bitter like the rest of us. Smiley

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2003, 07:01:00 PM »

Yeah, you do that. And don't come out until you are prepared to drink a good bitter like the rest of us. Smiley

now thats an oxymoron.  GOOD bitter??  Huh

Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2003, 07:12:05 PM »

Hey, don't you call me an oxymoron.

Bitter puts hairs on your chest, and the best need eating with a knife and fork.

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2003, 07:22:24 PM »

Hey, don't you call me an oxymoron.

Bitter puts hairs on your chest, and the best need eating with a knife and fork.

I don't need anything to put hair on my chest!  If I had any more hair on my chest, people would think I was GREEK!!!

the slave
High Elder

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2003, 07:23:37 PM »

Bitter is Best

- St. John Maximovitch
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2003, 07:58:07 PM »

Dear Posters:

Please pray for one Jason at CF. He's very feisty and so hyper anti-Orthodox that he's probably already approached his bishop as to why the Melkite Greek Catholics are allowed to omit the "filioque" from the Nicene Creed.  He wants to solve the schism by forcing the Orthodox to accept all the dogmas of the Roman Catholic Church including the filioque. He seems ignorant of history in this regard. When I mentioned that the pope says the Orthodox Nicene Creed without the filioque, he muttered some nonsense about it and said that the "filioque" was still essential to Catholic belief.

So, please pray for him.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2003, 09:13:09 PM »

Br. Max -- real men drink Ouzo. In fact I am drinking some now and grilling some pork ribs outside

TomS,
Real Greeks drink Metaxa (5 or 7 Star) and give the ouzo to their protestant friends
 Cheesy

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2003, 09:17:26 PM »

Yeah. I had 5 star Metaxa at my in-laws over Christmas. It has a kick. That stuff is $30 a bottle here.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2003, 09:25:03 PM »

Yeah. I had 5 star Metaxa at my in-laws over Christmas. It has a kick. That stuff is $30 a bottle here.
In that case, your Hellenization is coming along nicely. We must plan a trip to Greece, go up into the mountains to my mother's people's village and try the local 'shine. They serve that stuff in sewing thimbles...
Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2003, 09:28:31 PM »

Yes, we must. Sounds like a good time.

My father-in-law is from Mytilini and he says the Ouzo that the monks make there is the best in Greece.
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2003, 10:01:42 PM »

mmm...time for an Irish Car Bomb... Smiley

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Vicki

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2003, 10:10:06 PM »

Huh? Splain?

"Him whom the heavenly hosts glorify and before Whom Cherubim and Seraphim tremble, let every breath and all creation praise, bless and exalt throughout all ages."
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2003, 11:55:02 PM »

Ouzo . . . ugh.

Years ago a buddy of mine of Greek extraction was getting married, so we gave him a bachelor party (in my pre-Christian days).

I drank myself sick with Ouzo: nasty, licorice-tasting swill.

Sorry, guys. I like most Greek stuff, but Ouzo is not for me.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Oblio
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The Pointless One !

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2003, 12:17:19 AM »

Heathen Tongue

You need to walk 20 klicks on Ayios Oros with way too much worldly stuff strapped to your outa' shape back and sit down in the guest house to rest your tired bones.  Ouzo is Nectar under those circumstances   Cheesy

FWIW - There are two mods over at CF there that are members here. (myself and Monkey/Philip).  I really have no idea why Br. Max was banned or the specific rule violations that preceeded it, IIRC I was TDY overseas when it occured.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2003, 12:18:41 AM by Oblio » Logged
Vicki

« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2003, 12:34:10 AM »

Greek Heretic here: Sambucca is smoother.

"Him whom the heavenly hosts glorify and before Whom Cherubim and Seraphim tremble, let every breath and all creation praise, bless and exalt throughout all ages."
David
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2003, 12:40:28 AM »

Oblio, how is Monkey/Phillip doing?  I haven't heard from him in ages to ages.  Hope all is well!

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2003, 12:57:16 AM »

oblio: I knew that you were a mod there and a memeber here which is why I included you in the posting of my goodbye letter there.  I figured you might have some inside information Grin  

As for the SWILL the greeks try to pass off as beverages, it makes great paint remover . . . . .

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2003, 01:01:34 AM »

oblio: I knew that you were a mod there and a memeber here which is why I included you in the posting of my goodbye letter there.  I figured you might have some inside information Grin  

As for the SWILL the greeks try to pass off as beverages, it makes great paint remover . . . . .

I know why you were banned, but it is TOP SECRET.

Violation of Rule #3.14151 - Failure to Use BEANO Prior to Consuming Frijoles

A little-known but extremely important rule, Br. Max.

See that you adhere to it, especially when riding in economy cars.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2003, 01:01:54 AM by Linus7 » Logged

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2003, 01:06:34 AM »

Linus: ewww.  whats really sad is I'm getting over food poisoning from Tacohell!~!

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2003, 01:09:21 AM »

Linus: ewww.  whats really sad is I'm getting over food poisoning from Tacohell!~!

Aha! So the staff at CF has been vindicated!  Grin

BTW, Oblio, Philip/Monkey, and I were all banned from the forum at Christianity.com along with a whole bunch of Roman Catholics.

They banned me without so much as an e-mail saying why.

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2003, 01:14:41 AM »

Linus: well you know you're not nearly prot enough

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2003, 01:17:27 AM »

Linus: well you know you're not nearly prot enough

I and a whole lot of others, but we went down swinging.

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Oblio
Elder

The Pointless One !

« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2003, 01:22:11 AM »

Greek Heretic here: Sambucca is smoother.

Ever tried Oblio Esspresso/Sambucca ?  

I figured you might have some inside information

Actually, I have none, it was a surprise to me.

Oblio, how is Monkey/Phillip doing?  

Quite well, we were hoping he would make an appearance over here as of late, but no luck so far.   As our resident (along with Linus/Maximus) historian, he is often quite busy setting the record straight over at CF.

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2003, 01:23:59 AM »

Oblio: so there is nothing in those mysterious back room moderators forums which offers a HINT of who banned me or why eh?

Oblio
Elder

The Pointless One !

« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2003, 01:43:12 AM »

I didn't search out the info.  Banning is done based on # warnings/time period and is pretty formulaic in that respect so it doesn't really matter who threw the switch.  I would have to research the individual warnings and what gave rise to them.  I believe individual opinions and discussion on a poster by mods are privileged info.  You should have been notified of why you were warned on each occasion.
prodromos
OC.net guru

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2003, 04:46:47 AM »

Me, after specifically requesting the reason for my being banned, I was told that it was for trolling, ad hominem attack and publically airing grievances, none of which were true, I had simply ticked off one of the moderators IMO.

John.
prodromos
OC.net guru

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2003, 04:52:16 AM »

Br. Max -- real men drink Ouzo. In fact I am drinking some now and grilling some pork ribs outside

TomS,
Real Greeks drink Metaxa (5 or 7 Star) and give the ouzo to their protestant friends

You forgot about the Tsipouro, much better than ouzo. Of course there is good tsipouro and bad tsipouro. The last stuff I had was home made by a monks family on Mytilini (keeps looking better and better Tom Grin)

John
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2003, 05:06:57 AM »

You forgot about the Tsipouro, much better than ouzo. Of course there is good tsipouro and bad tsipouro. The last stuff I had was home made by a monks family on Mytilini (keeps looking better and better Tom Grin)

John

No, John, that's the "thimble stuff" I wrote about earlier. Knew how to say it but not spell it. Thanks. I had my first tsipouri in Thessaloniki in 1971. Fire-water to be sure Cheesy

Demetri

prodromos
OC.net guru

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2003, 05:24:00 AM »

Fire-water to be sure Cheesy

Distilled twice IIRC.
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2004, 07:28:35 PM »

Oblio: well I certainly did not get enough warnings in a short enough period of time to merit a MONTH long ban.  Thats what 3 in a week?

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2004, 12:39:33 AM »

Me, after specifically requesting the reason for my being banned, I was told that it was for trolling, ad hominem attack and publically airing grievances, none of which were true, I had simply ticked off one of the moderators IMO.

John.

Incredible!

I remember your posting over there, John. You always erred on the side of courtesy, I thought.

I guess that place is just best forgotten.

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Oblio
Elder

The Pointless One !

« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2004, 01:14:59 AM »

From Christian Forums rules:

3 warnings over a span of 1 to 2 months, a 4 week suspension is mandated.

Just to be clear, prodromos and others were banned from 'christianity'.com , Br. Max is speaking of christianforums.com.  Two completely different places.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2004, 01:18:52 AM by Oblio » Logged
prodromos
OC.net guru

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2004, 07:40:06 AM »

Two completely different places.

And how! Thank goodness for Erwin on Christian Forums.

Christianity.com seems to be run by rabid fundamentalists, many of whom are former Catholics with an axe to grind. It wasn't so bad when Fritzpw was chief moderator, but he hasn't been with Christianity.com for a while now.

Thanks for clearing up any potential confusion Oblio. Someone might have thought it was you I had ticked off Grin

John.
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2004, 09:49:55 AM »

After reading their addendum to their TOS (see below), how can any Orthodox or Catholic person participate?  We are directly told we can not offer postions that disagree with Evangelical Protestant belief.  In otherwords any arguement that might expose their error is disallowed and if you sneek one through you will be banned.

Fr. Deacon Lance

"Before you proceed to post in this thread please be sure to read the guidelines carefully. Any violation of the below stated guidelines will be considered a TOS violation.

Do not create another thread of similar content.
Avatars & Signatures: There should not be avatars and/or sigantures that promote Catholicism or are anti-Catholicism.
Do not promote Catholic doctrines that are against christianity.com's Statement of Faith, the Ten Commandments and/or the Nicene Creed.
No name calling of any doctrines [Catholic, Protestant or any other] - let's stay civil and discuss in a way that edifies rather than puts down.
Do not quote other books (this includes the Catholic Bible), misrepresenting them as Holy Scriptures.
No praying to Mary and/or other saints or telling others to do so.

This thread is being created because in the previous thread on Romanism, there were multiple violations of TOS 17 which states, "Do not make statements either by posts or posting URLs to other Websites which advocate activities, beliefs or teachings contrary to those of Christianity as articulated by the historic creeds, as understood by Evangelicalism, and as interpreted by ChristianBBS.com/Christianity.com its sole discretion."

The purpose of this thread is for the discussion of Romanism from an Evangelical perspective, so that other Christians may have a better understanding of what Rome teaches. The promotion or advocation of Romanist doctrines that are against Christianity.com's Statement of Faith is not permitted and is a violation of this site's Terms of Service. Gross violations will result in immediate suspension of your account."

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
prodromos
OC.net guru

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2004, 10:12:53 AM »

They actually put a complete moratorium on discussion of Orthodoxy at one point, which to the best of my knowledge was never lifted. I don't think they had a clue about Orthodoxy and really didn't know how to handle us. We were describing an ancient Christian faith that was not Roman Catholic, yet was far from evangelical protestantism. We did not fit well with their historical world view Wink.

John
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2004, 01:45:19 PM »

Prodromos: Well you should know that Christian history ended after the apostles and was not rediscovered until Luther!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2004, 01:50:51 PM by Br. Max, OFC » Logged

Vicki

« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2004, 01:49:36 PM »

Snort! Most of them don't drink either...how can you trust someone like that! Fundies!

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2004, 01:53:31 PM »

vicki: you can trues fundies.

You can trust them to:

not think about what they believe

Ignore history . . .

Interpret the Bible so as to be convenient to what they believe . . . .

Shrug off anything they do not want to believe as the traditions of men . . .

Tell you that when you prove the things they do not want to believe from scriptures that you have taken things out of context . . . .

Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2004, 01:54:23 PM »

Br Max there's a lot of Orthodox fit that description. Sad

Vicki

« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2004, 01:57:18 PM »

Br Max there's a lot of Orthodox fit that description. Sad

(coughing so as to sound like ROAC) Absolutely true. :saint:

Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2004, 02:00:50 PM »

Good point Vicki

Unfortunatley, the militant fundies forgot that Jesus said that He will build His church and the gates of hell will not prevail against it.

Cheesy

Jake

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
Vicki

« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2004, 02:02:45 PM »

Convenient forgetting is what Fundies do best....

Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2004, 02:24:26 PM »

I think that most fundies today (apart from the hyper calvinists), are tired of being "denominational" christians, and desperatley want untiy; thus, the promise keepers movement is a perfect example of this.  It is the protestant attempt at christian unity; however, it has proven to fail in the long run because it is not the real solution to the problem.

A return home to the Orthodox church is clearly  the only thing that will bring about true christian unity; unfortunatley, the majority of evangelicals don't even know what the orthodox church is or what she believes.

As a former fundie, I remember years ago thinking that the orthodox church was just a greek catholic church without the pope and full of immagrants only.

I think that the field is ripe for harvest.  Thanks to the tracks put out by conciliar press and books such as "Becoming Othodox" by Fr. Peter Gillquist, The Orthodox faith is put before evangelicals in a language and terminolgy that they can understand, as well as de-fuse some of the confusion and myths incorrectly attributed to the faith.

These are just some of my thoughts

Jake

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
Vicki

« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2004, 02:40:38 PM »

Excellent thoughts they are. Now, we just need to get you onto SINGLE-MALT whisky and complete your conversion! :bounce:

Welcome again!

Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2004, 02:51:26 PM »

Well I was criticised on another thread for saying that we should target various groups, but this is exactly what I agree with. There is no point giving an evangelical some material that isn't written with evangelicals in mind. Likewise Anglicans, Methodists, Baptists etc. If we want them to gain some benefit from the full Gospel of Orthodoxy then we have to communicate not just speak. Thank God for Conciliar Press and other materials like that.

Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2004, 03:30:26 PM »

Single malt is my favorite and is better than blended of course. Glenfiddich is my favorite, it is just  too expinsive to buy all the time.  I reserve it for special occasions.

What is the consensus drink of the orthodox? I saw "My big fat greek wedding" and it looked like some kind of romana sambuka they were drinking.

Anyway- HOPA!

Jake

Troparion - Tone 1:
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2004, 03:31:46 PM »

PS-Good post Peter, I couldn't agree with you more.

God grant you many years!

Troparion - Tone 1:
the slave
High Elder

« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2004, 03:48:43 PM »

Bagpiper

A man after our own kind
Single malt is my favorite and is better than blended of course. Glenfiddich is my favorite, it is just too expinsive to buy all the time. I reserve it for special occasions

You are indeed welciome to the Board - a passion for good Single Malts is a pre-requisite for membership  Grin Grin You'll do fine here.

BTW waht do you use for seasoning the bag ? My husband always used treacle and whisky - but those were the days before the Flood Sad

If you haven't already realised , very few threads here do not include food and drink at some point  - dunno how it happens - it just does Huh

- St. John Maximovitch
Vicki

« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2004, 03:51:09 PM »

Bagpiper...they were drinking Ouzo...

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2004, 04:39:53 PM »

Ah Proselytizing.

Vicki

« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2004, 04:42:19 PM »

Ah Proselytizing.

Whisky isn't a religion OUTSIDE of Scotland.

Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2004, 09:55:36 PM »

Slave,

I don't use seasoning on my pipes because they are gortex bags (for both my highland pipes and my shuttle pipes). I do, however, regret getting highland pipes with a gortex bag. I think that  the leather bags are easier to play, although there are plenty of pipers who would disagree with me.

I'm glad to see another piper on this site. I also love your signature quote. Now is the time for Orthodoxy to rightfuly reclaim the west, for Orthodoxy is her real home.

Everyman dies, but not everyman really lives!!

Troparion - Tone 1:
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2004, 10:00:13 PM »

Vicki,

It sounds to me like you have some scottish blood flowing through those veins of yours. Is there a kilt in your closet and a copy of braveheart in your vcr?

Scots wah hae!!

Troparion - Tone 1:
carpo-rusyn
Elder

« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2004, 10:51:26 PM »

[ return home to the Orthodox church is clearly  the only thing that will bring about true christian unity; unfortunatley, the majority of evangelicals don't even know what the orthodox church is or what she believes.]

They don't even know what the Roman Catholic Church really believes, how do you expect them to know about Orthodoxy.  I see  alot of EO literature out and about geared towards fundies but I think Dn Peter is right communication needs to happen you can't just give out literature. When Sts Columba and Patrick went to convert their differnet groups of Celts they didn't hand out literature they really communicated!

[Now is the time for Orthodoxy to rightfuly reclaim the west]

Actually Rome's on her way to reclaiming those parts of the west we don't already have.  Give us time, then we'll turn eastward.  (I hope that didn't sound ominous)

Carpo-Rusyn
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2004, 11:19:47 PM »

They don't even know what the Roman Catholic Church really believes, how do you expect them to know about Orthodoxy."-

- Of course there must be dialog, that's assumed; however, lituratre is very important because we live in a day and age in which most people can read and write. We also have access to the press machines in which the average person can read books. This was obviously not the case in the days St. Patrick and so fourth. These are different times that we are living in and we must make the most out of the media that we have have in order to advance the gospel. To refuse this would simply be foolish.

It would be great if there were more orthodox tv and radio stations.

"Actually Rome's on her way to reclaiming those parts of the west we don't already have.  Give us time, then we'll turn eastward.  (I hope that didn't sound ominous)"

Immigrants sticking to their own ethnic boundaries and frowning on others isn't going to advance the gospel one bit. If Rome is, in fact, reclaiming the west and the orthodox are not, especially in this day and age, then there is a serious problem. There is no reason, NO REASON AT ALL, why the orthodox cannot reclaim the west NOW! Espicially with all of the resources that are availible to us today.

I believe that the Antiochian orthodox church in particular are leading the way as far as evangelizing the west goes. (Speaking of Patrick and Columba), God bless Metropolitan Phillip Saliba! & Fr. Peter Gillquist! If it wasn't for these men, and their liturature, I would probably not be orthodox today.

The Orthodox church is the true home of Rome and all of her protestant daughters, and until they return home they shall be homesick and searchingdeep down.

I have an optimistic outlook on the future of the west, inparticularly protestants, coming home to Orthodoxy, and I think that this is an attitude that we should all have.

God bless

Jake

Troparion - Tone 1:
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2004, 11:21:35 PM »

Actually Rome's on her way to reclaiming those parts of the west we don't already have.  Give us time, then we'll turn eastward.  (I hope that didn't sound ominous)

Carpo-Rusyn

Ominous? Actually, those two statements are HILARIOUS!   :rofl:

(and I thought we'd potty-trained you, carpo...)
Demetri

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2004, 02:44:25 AM »

I'm neither homesick or searching Smiley

carpo-rusyn
Elder

« Reply #78 on: January 03, 2004, 08:20:39 AM »

[Ominous? Actually, those two statements are HILARIOUS! ]

Oh Demetri!  Grin  I just forgot to put in the little smiley icon.  Of course Rome has no "imperial" ambitions as far as the east goes.  But please do forward me your home address so when we do take over I'll be sure the Holy Office leaves you alone.  Grin

[If Rome is, in fact, reclaiming the west and the orthodox are not, especially in this day and age, then there is a serious problem.]

Funny I don't see  a problem.

[The Orthodox church is the true home of Rome and all of her protestant daughters, and until they return home they shall be homesick and searchingdeep down. ]

Actually Rome's true home is Rome.  I don't remember the Pope looking too homesick.  Or come to think of it neither was Teresa of Calcutta, Pio, etc.  As far as the Protestants being Rome's daughters...........Well then I invoke our parental rights.........so please leave our kids alone.  

Carpo-Rusyn
an RC who is neither serching or homesick

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #79 on: January 03, 2004, 08:40:35 AM »

[Ominous? Actually, those two statements are HILARIOUS! ]

Oh Demetri!  Grin  I just forgot to put in the little smiley icon.  Of course Rome has no "imperial" ambitions as far as the east goes.  But please do forward me your home address so when we do take over I'll be sure the Holy Office leaves you alone.  Grin

No problem-  40.91678 N  79.18349 W

{"And they call themselves Christians", yeah, right...}

Demetri

carpo-rusyn
Elder

« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2004, 08:49:44 AM »

[{"And they call themselves Christians", yeah, right...}]

Actually we call ourselves Catholics!

How's that for triumphalism!   Wink

Now that I think about it I'd like to retract what I said earlier.  I had a parent's typical overprotectiveness.  The girls are all old enough (at 500 yrs I hope so)to make up their own minds now.  So have at it.  Just be gentle with Cantuari she's going through a rough time, we hope she'll come home.  Geneva and Lutherina are just so fractious.  Genny wears black and white all the time and she'd always saying she's predestined to go someplace.  Lutey just sits around drinking coffee.  As far as Fundamentia, well what can I say, she's the youngest and always thinks she's right.  Why not have a crack at her and leave the others alone.

Carpo-Rusyn

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #81 on: January 03, 2004, 02:16:23 PM »

still no anwers from the staff or owners of CF as to why I was banned or why I was never notified of an impending ban.

Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2004, 02:17:04 PM »

Carpo,

I thought you were Orthodox, sorry for the missunderstanding, i'm new to the board; therefore, most of my previous commnents need not apply to you. In fact, I hope that you don't hand out any RC liturature at all.

God belss

Jake

PS- Patrick and Columba were Orthodox!

Troparion - Tone 1:
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2004, 02:30:49 PM »

A thought about the Roman Catholic mass..........

On my search for the Historic "New testament church", I , like many people, make a pit stop in the episcopal church while we were on our journey. It trying to decide between Orthodxy and Roman catholicism, I would occasionally  go to the various services of both churches.

One thing that clearly stuck out to me between the orthodox divine liturgy, the  Anglo-Catholic mass and the Roman Catholic mass, was that the RC mass was entierly un-impressive.

Almost all of the various catholic churches I went to looked like neo protestant churches, with no sence of majesty at all.

No incense, no icons, no guard rails...........a crucifix at best.

I heard one Orthodox priest who used to be an anglican priest say that when any anglican clergy started to get "Roman fever (the urge to bolt to the RC church)", all he had to do was attend a Roman mass, and he was cured becaue of how unimpressive it was.

I felt the same way (as I have heard the same thing from many others).

One thing I love about the divine liturgy in the Orthodox church, is the sense of heaven and earth connecting. I never get tired of it.

Jake

Troparion - Tone 1:
carpo-rusyn
Elder

« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2004, 02:40:56 PM »

Jake

[In fact, I hope that you don't hand out any RC liturature at all.]

As a matter of fact I do.  Grin

[One thing that clearly stuck out to me between the orthodox divine liturgy, the  Anglo-Catholic mass and the Roman Catholic mass, was that the RC mass was entierly un-impressive.]

Always nice to judge by externals.  Roll Eyes

[no icons]

Not our tradition, we go in for statues.

[I heard one Orthodox priest who used to be an anglican priest say that when any anglican clergy started to get "Roman fever (the urge to bolt to the RC church)", all he had to do was attend a Roman mass, and he was cured becaue of how unimpressive it was.]

You coulda fooled me from all the Anglican converts we get. Not that we should play the numbers game.

Carpo-Rusyn

[PS- Patrick and Columba were Orthodox]

They'd both be shocked to hear that.   Roll Eyes
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2004, 02:50:36 PM »

guys the catholic vs orthodx threads are down the hall.  TY

Vicki

« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2004, 03:53:52 PM »

Vicki,

It sounds to me like you have some scottish blood flowing through those veins of yours. Is there a kilt in your closet and a copy of braveheart in your vcr?

Scots wah hae!!

Not a drop of Scots blood, pure Greek, but who doesn't love a man in a kilt! (Confess to copy of Braveheart, of course! A favorite! ) Love a good single malt, and have read much Scottish History and legends...and do not believe the words of a friend who persists in saying that bagpipe music sounds like someone squeezing a cat with straws stuck up its nostrils....Fortunately for me, as my neighbor is a bagpiper... Grin

Vicki

« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2004, 03:56:30 PM »

I'm neither homesick or searching Smiley

Perhaps you should be searching for a GRAMMAR book....

neither.....NOR.... Grin

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #88 on: January 03, 2004, 04:46:50 PM »

vicki: oh just go play with your men in skirts! Tongue

the slave
High Elder

« Reply #89 on: January 03, 2004, 05:23:26 PM »

Now then Br Max

Just remember that those men in skirts playing pipes - during the war - put the fear of God into all those who heard the skirl of the pipes.

- St. John Maximovitch
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #90 on: January 03, 2004, 05:44:51 PM »

I think you are thinking of the film 'Carry on up the Kybher'?

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #91 on: January 03, 2004, 05:48:03 PM »

slave: what man in his right mind does not run when a bunch of hairy monsters in skirts come charging at you!! Grin  It puts fear into a mans soul on SOOOO many levels!!

the slave
High Elder

« Reply #92 on: January 03, 2004, 05:59:36 PM »

Sub Deacon Peter - I'm surprised at you !

T'was well know that our Scots pipers  and troops frightened the living daylights out of the opposition

- St. John Maximovitch
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #93 on: January 03, 2004, 06:04:12 PM »

slave: again - hairy drunken men in skirts are frightening on sooo many levels!!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2004, 06:04:34 PM by Br. Max, OFC » Logged

the slave
High Elder

« Reply #94 on: January 03, 2004, 06:06:48 PM »

I heard you  :cwm41:

- St. John Maximovitch
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #95 on: January 04, 2004, 12:55:55 AM »

Well, I have some Scots blood, but it's Lowland Scots (Angles and Norse, I guess), and I am mostly German, so I don't have much of a taste for Scotch (which is the politest way I can express myself on the subject).

I like good Russian, Ukrainian, or Finnish vodka.

My favorite is Pertsovka, which is Ukrainian pepper vodka.

It'll clear your sinuses, boy!

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Tags: CAF Catholic Answers Forum 
Pages: 1 2 3 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: