OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 03:20:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Struggling with regaining control & preparing for Lent...  (Read 724 times) Average Rating: 0
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: February 09, 2010, 01:56:49 AM »

For the past few months, I've been struggling to regain my footing. I've gradually been falling down the ladder after loosening my grip last Fall. I did this thinking I just needed to relax and let loose for a while. I've dropped farther than expected, though I feel like I've caught myself and stopped myself from falling any farther.

I'm struggling to begin the gradual climb again, and I'm hoping that Lent will help me in this ongoing struggle. With this being the second hardest semester of my 5 years here at college, it hasn't allowed me breathing room from my spiritual struggle and I've begun to already feel tired of the fight.

I know I will continue fighting, but I pray my progress will improve and that I will regain my control over myself.

I probably should have asked for prayers months ago, but I've chosen to be stupid, and I've hid this struggle from everyone save for my Priest. Though thankfully my Priest informed me a couple months ago that some of my fellow Parishioners noticed something different (not in a good way) with me, this woke me up and made me realize that my fall was effecting others as well as myself. It hasn't effected my beliefs in Orthodoxy, but certainly has effected my practice of the faith.

Please, pray for me, as I wage this battle and struggle to regain the ground I've lost...

Christ is in our Midst!
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 02:40:54 AM »

Lord Have Mercy
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 02:44:59 AM »

Lord have Mercy.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 05:15:26 AM »

Lord have mercy.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 05:24:07 AM »

Lord, have mercy.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 07:43:49 AM »

Lord, have mercy!

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 09:06:15 AM »

Open unto us the gates of repentance o Giver of Life.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 12:23:30 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

Don't worry...we are all on that ladder with you....behind you....hopefully pushing you up, and not knocking you off.

I once heard a sermon during Vespers on the Lenten Sunday commemorating St. John of the Ladder.  I found it very moving and though inspiring...and although I have forgotten the priest who spoke, I have not forgotten his message.

He explained that we all have to climb that ladder.  At the top is Christ, stretching his hand down to help us up.  All around are the demons (life's troubles, etc) trying to push us off, or down. 

However, we all are on this ladder at the same time.  Therefore, we have to help each other.  For if you truly want to reach Christ (at the top) you need to be able to have free access to the ladder.  If someone ahead of you is "stuck" then they are blocking your way, and everyone else's.  Therefore, it would benefit you to actually help that person along in their struggles, to ease their burden, to strengthen them, so they can continue their climb, thereby allowing everyone else to proceed behind them.

I loved that!  Just another reason to help your fellow man!

This thought reinforces the notion that we are all one family, and we need to help each other.

'whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

Lord, help Devin with his burden.  Strengthen not only his faith, but, give him strength to understand and excel at his studies.

Lord, have mercy!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 01:12:41 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

Love never fails.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 07:50:09 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 08:16:25 PM »

Lord have mercy!

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: