OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 05:42:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: R-E-S-P-E-C-T  (Read 3263 times) Average Rating: 0
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« on: December 30, 2003, 02:50:58 PM »

Since when has showing general respect for another gone out of style?  I'm not saying we always have to agree or share the same positions, just that there is no reason for us to be disrespectful while disagreeing, right?

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2003, 02:51:37 PM »

nuts. I just noticed the typo in the title.  Oh well.

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2003, 02:58:09 PM »

sock-it-to-him, sock-it-to-him, sock-it-to-him... Smiley

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2003, 03:11:06 PM »

I just get so sick of people sniping at each other.

TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2003, 03:18:52 PM »

Yes. Instead of attacking one another because of our differences, we should be learning from one another.

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2003, 03:20:34 PM »

Tom: yes we should.  And part of learning is accepting correction with good graces and humility

TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2003, 03:26:45 PM »

Absolutely. And part of being humble is to not assume that your opinion is always correct, and having the good grace to not correct using terms that are demeaning.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2003, 03:29:30 PM by Tom+ú » Logged
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2003, 03:36:06 PM »

Tom: often times when we see insult on the part of another, it is more a matter of misunderstanding than actual intent.  If you feel demeaned by someone tell them so, and find out if their intent was to do such.  There is no cause to walk around harboring resentment in your heart against another when you should bring to light and before the Light when you have aught against a brother.  Imagine how much more Christlike the world would be if we would just communicate WITH each other rather than shouting over or AT each other!

TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2003, 03:43:45 PM »

If you feel demeaned by someone tell them so, and find out if their intent was to do such.

The correct syntax used to signify a general reference would be "If one feels demeaned.." Unless of course you mean to imply a reference to the person whom you are addressing.

Anyway...

Imagine how much more Christlike the world would be if we would just communicate WITH each other rather than shouting over or AT each other!  

Yes. And if we did not have the sin of pride and the need to judge our fellow Christians.

Imagine...
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2003, 03:44:12 PM »

CHAPTER XIV

OF GOOD AND EVIL SPEAKING

The man who speaketh good words and such as are profitable to the soul is truly the mouth of the Holy Ghost; and the man who speaketh evil and useless words is certainly the mouth of the devil.

When good spiritual men meet at times to converse together, they should always discourse concerning the beauty of virtue, that they may increase in the love thereof, and that virtue may increase in them; that so delighting in it more and more, they may exercise themselves the more diligently in all virtues, and by this continual exercise may attain to a greater love of them; and by this love and this continual exercise and delight in virtue, they may ascend to an ever increasing and more fervent love of God, and to a higher degree in the spiritual life, thus obtaining from the Lord greater gifts and a larger measure of divine grace.

The more strongly a man is tempted, the more needful it is that he speak continually of holiness and virtue; for as by means of unholy talk of evil things a man is easily led to do evil, so oftentimes by speaking of virtue a man is led and disposed to virtuous actions. But what shall we say of the good which proceedeth from virtue? It is such and so great that we cannot worthily express its sublime, admirable and infinite excellence.

And again, what shall we say of evil, and of the eternal penalty which follows sin? For it is an abyss so fearful and so deep, that it is beyond the power of our mind to think, or of our mouth to speak. I do not think that there is less virtue in keeping silence well, than in speaking well; and therefore it seems to me that a man ought to have a neck as long as a crane’s, that, when he has to speak, his words may have a long way to travel before they reach his mouth; to wit, that when a man would speak, let him think and think again, and examine and re-examine very diligently, the how and the why, the time and the manner, the state and condition of his hearers, and his won motive and intention.

the full text is available at: http://www.ccel.org/u/ugolino/flowers/flow.htm

the slave
intolerant of intolerance
High Elder

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: UGCC

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2003, 03:47:14 PM »

Absolutely. And part of being humble is to not assume that your opinion is always correct, and having the good grace to not correct using terms that are demeaning.

Hmm should not this be

...And part of being humble is not to assume ......... the good grace not to correct ......

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2003, 03:50:16 PM »

TOM: often times when we see judgment in a brother it is not so, but rather, concern for the others soul and sanctification. Smiley

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2003, 03:50:37 PM »

The Imitation of Christ
Thomas +á Kempis

The Sixteenth Chapter
BEARING WITH THE FAULTS OF OTHERS
UNTIL God ordains otherwise, a man ought to bear patiently whatever he cannot correct in himself and in others. Consider it better thus -- perhaps to try your patience and to test you, for without such patience and trial your merits are of little account. Nevertheless, under such difficulties you should pray that God will consent to help you bear them calmly.
If, after being admonished once or twice, a person does not amend, do not argue with him but commit the whole matter to God that His will and honor may be furthered in all His servants, for God knows well how to turn evil to good. Try to bear patiently with the defects and infirmities of others, whatever they may be, because you also have many a fault which others must endure.
If you cannot make yourself what you would wish to be, how can you bend others to your will? We want them to be perfect, yet we do not correct our own faults. We wish them to be severely corrected, yet we will not correct ourselves. Their great liberty displeases us, yet we would not be denied what we ask. We would have them bound by laws, yet we will allow ourselves to be restrained in nothing. Hence, it is clear how seldom we think of others as we do of ourselves.
If all were perfect, what should we have to suffer from others for God's sake? But God has so ordained, that we may learn to bear with one another's burdens, for there is no man without fault, no man without burden, no man sufficient to himself nor wise enough. Hence we must support one another, console one another, mutually help, counsel, and advise, for the measure of every man's virtue is best revealed in time of adversity -- adversity that does not weaken a man but rather shows what he is.

TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2003, 03:53:59 PM »

Hmm should not this be

...And part of being humble is not to assume ......... the good grace not to correct ......

Could be. It's Praxis.
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2003, 04:00:24 PM »

The Imitation of Christ
Thomas +á Kempis

Ahh Yes. Wise words. Ones that we should all strive to live by.
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2003, 04:02:39 PM »

why are we getting caught up in incidentals?  I think the free-for-all forum is sufficiently informal enough that we need not pick at each other about rules of grammar and diction, but instead concentrate on the issue.

TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2003, 04:26:56 PM »

I will pray for you Vicki.
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2003, 04:35:25 PM »

Tsk, Tsk, Tsk, I DID send this to him privately.

Vicki, you poor misguided child. I will make a special prayer for you tonight!
the slave
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2003, 04:38:25 PM »

That's a rather condescending comment if ever I heard one.

Not good Sad

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2003, 04:39:02 PM »

You need to get out more often.
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2003, 04:39:21 PM »

*sigh*

the slave
High Elder

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2003, 04:41:20 PM »

OK folks

Enough is enough

Grandma is talking

let's leave it here now
« Last Edit: December 30, 2003, 04:42:12 PM by the slave » Logged

- St. John Maximovitch
Father Peter
Archon

Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2003, 04:43:21 PM »

I find it slightly ironic that having read the thread and been convicted of writing too harshly in response to Linus7 the whole thing goes pear shaped and exhibits the sort of behaviour that I felt convicted of.

Sad

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2003, 04:43:58 PM »

Nektarios to me:...it is odd he is making such an issue of this...next thing you know it will be posted on the forum by him somehow...

But Vicki -- YOU posted this on the forum, not me. (silly girl)

the slave
High Elder

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2003, 04:47:06 PM »

This is disgraceful !!

Grandma is talking again

Folks please delete your posts

- St. John Maximovitch
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2003, 04:47:34 PM »

do you ever get the feeling you're standing in the middle of a battle field with mortars being lofted over your head?

the slave
High Elder

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2003, 04:50:20 PM »

YUP

- St. John Maximovitch
Father Peter
Archon

Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2003, 04:51:51 PM »

Anyone for a cup of tea and cucumber sandwiches? More tea, vicar?

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
the slave
High Elder

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2003, 04:53:55 PM »

yes please - and have you remembered the sugar on the cucumber ?

- St. John Maximovitch
Vicki

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2003, 04:54:14 PM »

My apologies to the board for having offended.

"Him whom the heavenly hosts glorify and before Whom Cherubim and Seraphim tremble, let every breath and all creation praise, bless and exalt throughout all ages."
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2003, 04:54:53 PM »

Apology accepted, my child.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2003, 04:56:58 PM »

Christ is Born!
Glorfy Him!

I would like to make the suggestion that if this greeting is not on your mind while you are posting, don't post it!

Just walk away...

Joseph
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2003, 04:57:26 PM »

Alright, I'm sick of this.

Please, everyone just act civilized.

This thread is locked.

Bobster
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up