Author Topic: Deposit of Faith  (Read 1699 times)

Offline The Caffeinator

• Elder
Deposit of Faith
« on: February 14, 2004, 03:43:25 PM »
Please help me understand if I have characterized this accurately...

EOx and OOx believe that the faith once delivered was delivered in its final form. What was said was final.

Catholics believe that, while dogmas do not evolve, what can be demonstrated by reason to belong to the deposit of faith belongs there.

True? ???

Offline Linus7

• Archon
Re:Deposit of Faith
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2004, 01:58:15 PM »
I am not sure I understand what you are getting at.

I think it is pretty obvious that Christian doctrine has developed throughout the centuries.

That does mean that it has changed in the sense of reversing anything that was formerly believed.

It does mean, however, that the faith has been further clarified and defined by the writings of the Fathers and the decisions of the ecumenical councils.

Sometimes new words have even been added to our vocabulary to help us better understand the Deposit of Faith: words like Trinity and homoousios.

I think we can further define and clarify the faith to meet new challenges (or recycled old ones), but we must be careful to stick with the faith of the Fathers and do nothing to contradict or materially alter it.
The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas

Offline The Caffeinator

• Elder
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2004, 07:30:13 PM »
Here is what I mean...

Take the Immaculate Conception, for example. This is a dogma of the Catholic Church that if I understand it, is not a dogma of the EOx. It is a dogma in our Church, because, although it isn't found in the Fathers, it can be demonstrated by reason to have belonged to the deposit of faith.

The EOx say, "A = A, B=B"
The RCC say, "If A=A and B=B, the A * B = AB and A * A = A squared" etc.

Offline The Caffeinator

• Elder
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2004, 07:31:05 PM »
I should note that I am not saying this is the way it is. I am asking.

Offline Linus7

• Archon
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2004, 09:51:57 PM »
There is nothing wrong with making logical inferences from true doctrines.

The problem with the Immaculate Conception, from the Orthodox perpsective, is that it begins with a faulty conception of the doctrine of Original Sin.

So the problem, as Orthodox see it, is not with the Deposit of Faith or with drawing logical conclusions from it.

The problem is that the logic that results in the IC begins somewhere outside the Deposit of Faith.
The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas

Offline Linus7

• Archon
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2004, 10:28:33 PM »
I wanted to add something.

The Immaculate Conception is not something I care to argue against.

I certainly regard our Blessed Mother as immaculate, sinless, and, by the grace of God, the perfect New Eve.

- Pope St. Hormisdas

Offline The Caffeinator

• Elder
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2004, 05:37:30 PM »
So if the EOx have another council, they could promulgate dogmas. For example, if it were concluded that Episcopal sacraments are without grace (no offense Keble :) ), the EOx could promulgate this as a matter of doctrine? Could the Orthodox anathematize the heresy of protestantism?

BTW this is just an example. I was going to say RC sacraments but that struck me as perhaps a little too contentious.