Author Topic: How does the veil stay on a monastic's hat?  (Read 1536 times)

Offline Rosehip

• Archon
How does the veil stay on a monastic's hat?
« on: February 07, 2010, 11:50:47 AM »
Something I've always wondered about is how do the monastics keep the veil from slipping off the kamilavka? Is it sewn on somehow? Attached with velcro or pinned or snapped into place? ???
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 11:57:56 AM by Rosehip »
+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +

Offline samkim

• High Elder
How does the veil stay on a monastic's hat?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 04:13:59 PM »
Something I've always wondered about is how do the monastics keep the veil from slipping off the kamilavka? Is it sewn on somehow? Attached with velcro or pinned or snapped into place? ???

The Russians have it attached. Greeks don't. Not sure how it stays on.
주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.

Offline Monk Vasyl

• High Elder
    • Web site of our parish, St. Andrew UOCof USA
Re: How does the veil stay on a monastic's hat?
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 05:11:34 PM »
I had one made by a Greek convent and they used an elastic strip to hold it in place.  One Russian one had snaps to hold it on.
The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl

Offline Rosehip

• Archon
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 05:28:26 PM »
Thanks, Father! I am interested in clothing design, so this is intriguing. I can imagine the snaps, but for some reason the elastic is a bit harder to picture. Does the elastic strip run around the portion of the veil which fits around the brim of the kamilavka? And what is the shape of the veil?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 05:29:56 PM by Rosehip »
+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +

Offline Orthodox11

• Archon
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 07:33:29 PM »
The veil fits around the entire hat, which is usually quite tall, so there isn't much need for anything to hold it in place provided it's more or less the correct size.

Online Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 07:19:11 AM »

In the Greek practice, it either has an elastic band which fits around the base of the hat (as mentioned earlier), or the fitting is so precise that it needs nothing but natural friction to keep it on.
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.