OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 11:09:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How does the veil stay on a monastic's hat?  (Read 1296 times) Average Rating: 0
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« on: February 07, 2010, 11:50:47 AM »

Something I've always wondered about is how do the monastics keep the veil from slipping off the kamilavka? Is it sewn on somehow? Attached with velcro or pinned or snapped into place? Huh
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 11:57:56 AM by Rosehip » Logged

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
samkim
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 04:13:59 PM »

Something I've always wondered about is how do the monastics keep the veil from slipping off the kamilavka? Is it sewn on somehow? Attached with velcro or pinned or snapped into place? Huh

The Russians have it attached. Greeks don't. Not sure how it stays on.

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 05:11:34 PM »

I had one made by a Greek convent and they used an elastic strip to hold it in place.  One Russian one had snaps to hold it on.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 05:28:26 PM »

Thanks, Father! I am interested in clothing design, so this is intriguing. I can imagine the snaps, but for some reason the elastic is a bit harder to picture. Does the elastic strip run around the portion of the veil which fits around the brim of the kamilavka? And what is the shape of the veil?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 05:29:56 PM by Rosehip » Logged

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 07:33:29 PM »

The veil fits around the entire hat, which is usually quite tall, so there isn't much need for anything to hold it in place provided it's more or less the correct size.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 07:19:11 AM »

In the Greek practice, it either has an elastic band which fits around the base of the hat (as mentioned earlier), or the fitting is so precise that it needs nothing but natural friction to keep it on.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags: vestments head coverings 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: