OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 06:20:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A question for protestants...  (Read 26273 times) Average Rating: 0
Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #225 on: March 08, 2010, 08:58:25 PM »

^ Wow. Your assumptions are much, much longer than the factual statement. Wonder what that means....

Means that I have seen every single one of those things before in this type of restorationist fundamentalism.
Oh? What type of restorationist fundamentalism is this?

What? did I make a false assumption on what is preached in your average Oneness pentecostal church? That is what they believe in, I have seen it.

At the same time gossip is a bad thing so I apologize for bringing this up. Even if it is true.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 09:12:51 PM by Rafa999 » Logged

I am NOT a representative of the ACOE. Ignore my posts
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #226 on: March 08, 2010, 09:24:51 PM »

^ Wow. Your assumptions are much, much longer than the factual statement. Wonder what that means....

Means that I have seen every single one of those things before in this type of restorationist fundamentalism.

What? did I make a false assumption on what is preached in your average Oneness pentecostal church? That is what they believe in, I have seen it.
You did make a false assumption: that we're speaking of a Oneness Pentecostal church. Katherineofdixie specifically stated that it was a Presbyterian church that wrote this sign.

At the same time gossip is a bad thing so I apologize for bringing this up. Even if it is true.
The point is that you don't know it's true. The only information you have is that a Presbyterian church invited people to come see worship like the early Church worshiped. Everything else is speculation.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #227 on: March 08, 2010, 09:38:22 PM »

You did make a false assumption: that we're speaking of a Oneness Pentecostal church. Katherineofdixie specifically stated that it was a Presbyterian church that wrote this sign.

The point is that you don't know it's true. The only information you have is that a Presbyterian church invited people to come see worship like the early Church worshiped. Everything else is speculation.

It is not speculation: Presbyterians donot have Apostolic succesion which violates Paul's instructions to Timothy. Therefore they donot worship in the manner of the early Church where the laying on of hands was of extreme importance in deciding who was telling the truth ("Hold on to the tradition delivered" I Thessalonians). Therefore they lie if they say their practice is that of the early church where Bishops with their last dying breath would remind their flocks not to neglect this command. They are not telling the truth.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 09:41:24 PM by Rafa999 » Logged

Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #228 on: March 08, 2010, 11:19:19 PM »

It is not speculation: Presbyterians do not have Apostolic succession which violates Paul's instructions to Timothy. Therefore they do not worship in the manner of the early Church where the laying on of hands was of extreme importance in deciding who was telling the truth ("Hold on to the tradition delivered" I Thessalonians). Therefore they lie if they say their practice is that of the early church where Bishops with their last dying breath would remind their flocks not to neglect this command. They are not telling the truth.

You're of course correct on many fronts, but honestly liturgical Presbyterian worship is still very close to the early church in the West in many regards.  Their theology, despite being severely deficient in plenty of areas, still also retains many elements that we treasure.  They do not traditionally have the aversion to ritual that the later Baptist "fundamentalist" (whatever that means) groups do.  They retain covenant theology for one thing, so they still practice paedobaptism.  They also hold a somewhat distorted, but still an essentially sacramental view of baptism and the "Lord's Supper."

Anyway, they didn't throw out everything, and the basic structure of the traditional liturgical worship in many ways accurately reflects the forms of Western Christian piety dating back to antiquity.  I only say all of this to stop people from making fun of their marquee, because it's true in many ways.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 11:20:54 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #229 on: March 08, 2010, 11:33:28 PM »

It is not speculation: Presbyterians do not have Apostolic succession which violates Paul's instructions to Timothy. Therefore they do not worship in the manner of the early Church where the laying on of hands was of extreme importance in deciding who was telling the truth ("Hold on to the tradition delivered" I Thessalonians). Therefore they lie if they say their practice is that of the early church where Bishops with their last dying breath would remind their flocks not to neglect this command. They are not telling the truth.

You're of course correct on many fronts, but honestly liturgical Presbyterian worship is still very close to the early church in the West in many regards.  Their theology, despite being severely deficient in plenty of areas, still also retains many elements that we treasure.  They do not traditionally have the aversion to ritual that the later Baptist "fundamentalist" (whatever that means) groups do.  They retain covenant theology for one thing, so they still practice paedobaptism.  They also hold a somewhat distorted, but still an essentially sacramental view of baptism and the "Lord's Supper."

Anyway, they didn't throw out everything, and the basic structure of the traditional liturgical worship in many ways accurately reflects the forms of Western Christian piety dating back to antiquity.  I only say all of this to stop people from making fun of their marquee, because it's true in many ways.

OK, I concede that Presbyterians are in general faithful to many practices of the early church. Apologies to comparing them to oneness pentecostals and other groups who didn't retain those practices in any way.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 11:33:50 PM by Rafa999 » Logged

katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #230 on: March 09, 2010, 10:40:22 AM »

A local Presbyterian church advertised a new service "Come and experience the worship of the early church!"

I had to be forcibly restrained!

Grin

Many Presbyterian churches are still liturgical, and the base of that structure is the traditional Western rite from Rome.  There are some subtractions to be sure, but overall the structure remains, and it is ancient and venerable.

Having been a lifelong Lutheran (up until a course correction to Orthodoxy) and something of a liturgical nerd, I am actually aware that many if not most Episcopalian, Lutheran and Presbyterian churches still use liturgical forms of worship. Also I have been to several Presbyterian services (one of my bestest friends is a Presbyterian minister).
I'm sorry that I was not more clear. This was not their usual Sunday morning service but an optional "emergent-type" service so that people could "experience worship the way the early Church worshipped" (from an ad).

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #231 on: March 09, 2010, 01:21:04 PM »

A local Presbyterian church advertised a new service "Come and experience the worship of the early church!"

I had to be forcibly restrained!

Grin

Many Presbyterian churches are still liturgical, and the base of that structure is the traditional Western rite from Rome.  There are some subtractions to be sure, but overall the structure remains, and it is ancient and venerable.

Having been a lifelong Lutheran (up until a course correction to Orthodoxy) and something of a liturgical nerd, I am actually aware that many if not most Episcopalian, Lutheran and Presbyterian churches still use liturgical forms of worship. Also I have been to several Presbyterian services (one of my bestest friends is a Presbyterian minister).
I'm sorry that I was not more clear. This was not their usual Sunday morning service but an optional "emergent-type" service so that people could "experience worship the way the early Church worshipped" (from an ad).

I have been to exactly ONE Church service outside of the Orthodox Church so I am just giving my impression. It was a Lutheran Church with a Senior Pastor (Openly Gay fellow) and a Female Junior Priest.

Communion consisted of EVERYONE no matter your affiliation or religion for that matter, going up to partake. I was the lone hold out sitting in my seat like a grumpy old guy.

They stood in a circle around the Priest as he went around chatting up each person and broke off a piece of Pita Bread which he handed to them. The Woman Priest then followed up with the Chalice. A few people dipped the Pita and few drank from it ( I think). They had set up an "Alter Table" in the middle of the circle which they then folded up and put away after everyone was done.

Far be it from me to stand in judgement, but simply compared to what I am used to in the Orthodox Church, I was rather stunned and I am still mumbling to myself about it.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 01:23:19 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #232 on: March 09, 2010, 01:35:34 PM »

Well, based on that formula, one could say that all religious communities follow a 'liturgy,' in that all of them follow some type of structure.  After all, the essence of 'liturgical worship' is thus defined in the Encyclopaedia Brittanica (1911):

LITURGY (Low Lat. liturgic; Gr. X€Ztos, public, and gpyov, work; XEcrovpyos, a public servant), in the technical language of the Christian Church, the order for the celebration and administration of the Eucharist. In Eastern Christendom the Greek word Xetrovpyia is used in this sense exclusively. But in English speaking countries the word " liturgy " has come to be used in a more popular sense to denote any or all of the various services of the Church, whether contained in separate volumes or bound up together in the form of a Book of Common Prayer. In this article the liturgy is treated in the former and stricter sense. (For the ancient Athenian Xetrovpyiat, as forms of taxation, see Finance.) In order to understand terms and references it will be convenient to give the tabular form the chief component parts of a liturgy, selecting the Liturgy of Rome as characteristic of Western, and that of Constantinople as characteristic of Eastern, Christendom; at the same time appending an explanation of some of the technical words which must be employed in enumerating those parts.

By this definition, even a 'holy-roller' service can be considered 'liturgical' in that it has a specific order established prior to the service, even if it ends with utter chaos so long as it is intended to do so and someone is in charge of managing the whole thing (a.k.a. an officiant).  The only difference it that the 'sacrament' in such an event is usually an ecstatic state rather that the chnage of bread and wine into Body and Blood.

However, I will be obstinant and insist that wearing my father's helmet does not make me a fireman, no matter how truly authentic the helmet is.  Just because someone has picked up this or that and added it to whatever else one is doing does not make the rest 'authentic' as well.  We Orthodox see this all the time when some group uses vestments and service books purchased off the internet as proof that they are 'authentic.'

There is something more to worship than the acquisition of bits of 'historical elements,' because the elements themselves have no meaning without their context.  This is the inherent problem of the 'reconstructionists' in the Orthodox Church, who decided on their own to leap back through the centuries over what we do now.  It has not worked, because this stand ignored the work of the Holy Spirit that got us to where we are now for whatever reason.

The liturgical Tradition of the Church is not an invention, nor is it something tampered with on a whim.  It is something passed down through the ages and only changes under the guidance of the common mind of the Synods inspired by the Holy Spirit, which is beyond reach of both parishes and even 'demoninations.'  Liturgy is inherently mystical in that there is more to it than just a hodge-podge of texts and books.  It is the Spirit worshipping and glorifying the Father and Son through us, so that we might do what we cannot do on our own.  Worshipping 'in Spirit and in Truth' is not within our fallen-nature abilities.  To use those same abilities to assemble a 'service' makes the service worthless when compared to the true liturgical services of the Church.

The tragedy is that we continue to praise people (i.e. "Nice helment, Giryus!  I didn't know you were a firefighter!") for doing what is, in fact, counterproductive to their intended goal.  If they seek to worship God, then they need to enter into the ancient Tradition of that worship rather than trying to make it up on their own.  Some of those who realize the fruitlessness of such pursuits eventually find their way to the Orthodox Church, where they find the 'real thing' as opposed to 'make-it-up-as-you-go-along.'

I recall members of one group that ended up in the Church having their 'service books' supposedly assembled to resemble 'ancient worship.'  What was funny was that the book was full of stickers, covering up superceded versions with newer, yet 'more ancient,' versions of service elements.  Eventually, they became so confused, it was much easier to coax then in the door and give them the real thing.

My hope is that, perhaps, we can some day appeal to those looking for the Ancient Tradition and coax them to the Father's Table so they can have the real thing they are looking for.

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #233 on: March 09, 2010, 02:27:36 PM »

It is this element of "fruitless" but serious play that gives me a little hope for the emergence movement.  Just like the Charismatic movement which in its youth asked a lot of interesting and often correct questions, it had neither the roots nor the power to make even right/or rightish answers to those questions effective.  What it did do though was cause them to think about enough of the right sorts of things so that when/if they got a good steady look at the genuine they would recognize it and be prepared to act on their conscience in that moment.  

That's basically what happened to me as a 20+ year charismatic.  It made me aware that God was active and present in our lives, not distant or abstract. It made me aware that what the Apostles knew, lived and taught was not supposed to vanish away. It taught me that an intimate relationship with the Holy Spirit was both desirable and possible, and that actual holiness of some substance was also possible.  It could never seem to make good in any consistent way on those things...but it got me thinking, and when I bumped into Orthodoxy and the lives of her saints, I recognized the genuine article and figured out why even though so many of the promises we saw were true, our access to them in fullness was not possible as we were.  

So I am not ashamed to entertain similar hopes for those in the emergent church movement who learn to ask some of the right questions in their serious religious play, questions that in time might enable them to recognize the power and beauty of the genuine when they have opportunity to gaze upon it undestracted.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 02:30:36 PM by Seraphim98 » Logged
GreekChef
Prez
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America: Metropolis of Atlanta

« Reply #234 on: March 12, 2010, 01:16:14 PM »

Apologies if I'm being a pest, but still waiting on this one... I'm really eager to hear (*read*) your response, David!

Dear Presvytera,

I think I have annoyed poor david into silence, as he has not directly responded to my inquiries, either.

I don't think it's just you, Father.  I think, really, we all backed him into a corner that he can't get out of.  I sure do hope he isn't gone for good, though.  That would be a shame.

I didn't respond to this immediately (forgive me, Father) because I didn't want to believe it was true.  Call me naive, but I wanted to believe that this time I had finally been clear and to the point with my questions, specific enough that they would be easier to answer and that David would, indeed, just this once, give a real, honest answer.  I know we overwhelmed him with posts, but I guess I thought he would eventually come back around to mine and stop with the cognitive dissonance.  I guess not...  Cry

Ah well.  A blessed rest of the Lenten journey to you, Father!

Whoever receives one little child like this in My name receives Me.
Matthew 18:5
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #235 on: March 12, 2010, 03:48:15 PM »

One more enemy has been successfully defeated!  Congratulations, my One True Church brothers and sisters!
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #236 on: March 12, 2010, 03:53:37 PM »

One more enemy has been successfully defeated!  Congratulations, my One True Church brothers and sisters!

Talk about cognitive dissonance...

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #237 on: March 12, 2010, 03:54:26 PM »

Which enemy? I thought David was a friend of all here, whether Orthodox or not. If anything, he should be in everyone's prayers out of love. I certainly do NOT consider myself your enemy simply because I am not Eastern Orthodox.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 03:55:13 PM by Papist » Logged

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #238 on: March 12, 2010, 03:56:40 PM »

I too fail to see how David could possibly be our enemy (I think, Alveus, you were being ironic...). To me he appears to be a sincere Christian man and we have no right to think ourselves better than him. In fact, he has always impressed me by his love and kindness to all.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 03:58:29 PM by Rosehip » Logged

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

« Reply #239 on: March 12, 2010, 05:28:56 PM »

I don't think it's just you, Father.  I think, really, we all backed him into a corner that he can't get out of.  I sure do hope he isn't gone for good, though.  That would be a shame.

I didn't respond to this immediately (forgive me, Father) because I didn't want to believe it was true.  Call me naive, but I wanted to believe that this time I had finally been clear and to the point with my questions, specific enough that they would be easier to answer and that David would, indeed, just this once, give a real, honest answer.  I know we overwhelmed him with posts, but I guess I thought he would eventually come back around to mine and stop with the cognitive dissonance.  I guess not...  Cry

Ah well.  A blessed rest of the Lenten journey to you, Father!

No problem here with waiting.  Patience is good for the soul.

In the meantime, I think we have annoyed Alveus.  Sad

If there is one thing I have learned in forums: you can't please 'em all.

As for David and his posts on an Orthodox forum, I invoke the "Law of Super-Chicken"...

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it.

The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #240 on: March 12, 2010, 08:55:45 PM »

Poor Alveus, annoy him when he is right. It is absolutely not fair to say that a Hierarch of the OC, RCC, or my church such as the deceased Mar Benyamin Shimun:

is doing a poorer job at preserving the teachings of the apostles then these guys  Grin:

Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #241 on: March 12, 2010, 09:16:46 PM »

Now, I see that as rather unfair, Rafa. There are many humble, sober Protestants who are nothing like Benny Hinn etc. It is unfair to lump everyone together. I certainly don't connect David with those three photos at the bottom of your post, and I'm experienced enough to know that there are MANY sober Evangelicals who would want nothing to do with that brand of Christianity.

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #242 on: March 12, 2010, 09:45:44 PM »

I can't believe I missed it.

Now, I see that as rather unfair, Rafa. There are many humble, sober Protestants who are nothing like Benny Hinn etc. It is unfair to lump everyone together. I certainly don't connect David with those three photos at the bottom of your post, and I'm experienced enough to know that there are MANY sober Evangelicals who would want nothing to do with that brand of Christianity.

I know plenty of protestants who reject all those TV "evangelists" and the "gospel" they offer. Unfortunately, that is the message that is being spread using media and apparently is popular enough for people to keep funding it.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #243 on: March 12, 2010, 10:52:43 PM »

I'm REAL sorry I missed it: the date is the exact day I met my exwife.  Scotty, beam me up.

How do they calculate these dates?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 10:53:41 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #244 on: March 12, 2010, 11:50:53 PM »

I'm sorry it wasn't clear that I was being sarcastic.  David is not my enemy.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #245 on: March 13, 2010, 12:12:34 AM »

No.  Tears ... not triumphalism....   Cry
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #246 on: March 13, 2010, 12:42:50 AM »

What is wrong with everybody?!?! The comment was obviously sarcastic!  Christ says to love your enemies, if I even considered him one, which I don't!  Gosh!
dllwatkins

« Reply #247 on: March 13, 2010, 12:47:10 AM »

But detaching the NT from Holy Tradition, I do think that our understanding of the words and roles form a coherent and consistent whole.

I am not saying that your claim to unbroken historical succession of bishops is false (though neither do I see it as proven). What I have said is, that it is not in our view a biblical concept, and thus even if it is a historical fact, it has no spiritual importance.
I think this underscores an important difference in perspectives.  Our Faith is not derived from the Bible as if we found this book and started the Christian Faith.  You can't detach it from Holy Tradition, it is a part of it and comes out of it.  We don't form concepts from it as a religious text in and of itself.  It does, in fact, have an historical and religious context.  In this connection, I would recommend the following article as very pertinent to this discussion:
http://orthodoxinfo.com/general/Saint-Hilarion-Holy-Scripture-and-the-Church.pdf
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

« Reply #248 on: March 13, 2010, 01:16:55 AM »

What is wrong with everybody?!?! The comment was obviously sarcastic!  Christ says to love your enemies, if I even considered him one, which I don't!  Gosh!

Dear Alveus,

As a rule, I never underestimate my ability to confuse people... or be confused.

Obviously it was 'sarcastic,' but the intent behind your sarcasm is less than obvious given the responses.  There isn't anything wrong with the folks here, they are just doing what humans do best: they read what they want to read rather than your intentions.

This is one of the drawbacks of internet communication: people don't "know" you and they certainly can't see the expressions on your face as you type.  That's why, to prevent misreadings, your sarcasm would best serve you by providing your own 'decoder ring,' be it a smiley or a simple explanation.

Frankly, I took your sarcasm to mean that you thought we were beating David up unfairly and then were high-fiving each other afterwards.  That's why I responded the way I did.  That's what is 'wrong with me.' Wink

Anyway, in my old age I have discovered that my own sense of humor is generally inaccessible to others, which is why I tend to share it less and less as I get on in years.  Most of my problems have come from trying to be smart or funny.  Now I see what great liabilities those efforts have been.

Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #249 on: March 13, 2010, 01:18:14 AM »

I'm REAL sorry I missed it: the date is the exact day I met my exwife.  Scotty, beam me up.

How do they calculate these dates?

More on the rapture, here's a rapture video game which is selling amongst evangelicals:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/leftbehindeternalforces/video/6130072
(trailer)

http://www.eternalforces.com/

Not much is known about this mysterious leader of the Enigma Babylon One World Faith. All that is known is that he had absolutely no religious background, training or belief before the disappearances. The disappearances brought chaos to the world and Carpathia needed someone to promote a One World Religion. The Enigma Leader had no religious background, but was an excellent public speaker. He quickly told people that religions had caused divisions and bloodshed and under the GC banner they would strive to see God in each person. The religion quickly found acceptance around the world just as Carpathia predicted. His efforts for unity among religions hit one snag, however. Christians who still contended Jesus Christ had returned to take his own were enemies of the One World Religion.  

The new one Ive seen amongst Baptists is very disturbing to me...they have adopted the JW apologetic that Christ did not die on a Cross (which is "pagan") but on a "torture stake" instead:

For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ: whose end is destruction, whose god is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame—who set their mind on earthly things
Philippians 3:18-19
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 01:24:39 AM by Rafa999 » Logged

Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #250 on: March 13, 2010, 01:39:17 AM »

That video game thing is totally unreal!
Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #251 on: March 13, 2010, 02:18:01 AM »

Its a real video game  Grin

You play as one of the people "left behind" from the rapture, and you build little tank things to combat antichrist peacekeepers, muslims, and catholics/orthodox. The orthodox and catholics become little evil spirit things which attack your player. All orthodox are under the "Enigma one mystery babylon" religion (a thinly veiled pope I showed). Baptist pastors have superpowers and launch little rays from their mouths to kill demons.

Here is a pic of a "lost soul" which the orthodox and catholics turn into if they don't become evangelicals:

« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 02:21:49 AM by Rafa999 » Logged

GreekChef
Prez
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America: Metropolis of Atlanta

« Reply #252 on: March 13, 2010, 08:07:01 AM »

Wow, all I was doing was expressing my disappointment that David had gone away and the conversation had stopped. It certainly wasn't meant as triumphalism. It certainly wasn't meant to cause such a flurry of posts! Now I'm embarrased! But, I think David knows he is my friend. I am confident in that. I, too, will wait and pray that he is well.

And Rafa, as David is my friend and a sincere Christian man, and seeing as how it's Lent and we're supposed to be more charitable, Lets not associate him with all of those charicatures and stereotypes that you posted, eh? For those of us that have been talking to David for over a year now, we can certainly vouch that he isn't one...

Whoever receives one little child like this in My name receives Me.
Matthew 18:5
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #253 on: March 13, 2010, 12:20:16 PM »

Which enemy? I thought David was a friend of all here, whether Orthodox or not. If anything, he should be in everyone's prayers out of love. I certainly do NOT consider myself your enemy simply because I am not Eastern Orthodox.

Amen!

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

« Reply #254 on: March 13, 2010, 11:20:24 PM »

The new one Ive seen amongst Baptists is very disturbing to me...they have adopted the JW apologetic that Christ did not die on a Cross (which is "pagan") but on a "torture stake" instead:

In Orthodoxy, we die to the flesh on the "Torture Steak" during Lent... at least the smell of it!   Wink

David Young
OC.net guru

Faith: Baptist
Jurisdiction: local church, Wrexham, Wales

2012, Presbyterian chapel, Nantyr

« Reply #255 on: March 14, 2010, 06:27:38 PM »

I've been away in Tewkesbury for a few days off with my wife. Tomorrow, I go away for a few days with my work. There have been so many posts and questions that I probably shall never answer them now, but I dare say the same points will arise again in discussion between us. Even so, you may have asked questions (I forget now what they all were!) to which I do not know an answer. In fact, I distrust religious people who have all the answers to all questions. It seems to reduce God and take the mystery out of worshipping him and walking with him.

"But if you bite and devour one another, take heed that you are not consumed by one another." Galatians 5.15
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #256 on: March 14, 2010, 07:57:57 PM »

I've been away in Tewkesbury for a few days off with my wife. Tomorrow, I go away for a few days with my work. There have been so many posts and questions that I probably shall never answer them now, but I dare say the same points will arise again in discussion between us. Even so, you may have asked questions (I forget now what they all were!) to which I do not know an answer. In fact, I distrust religious people who have all the answers to all questions. It seems to reduce God and take the mystery out of worshipping him and walking with him.

Glad to see you check in.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #257 on: March 14, 2010, 08:14:31 PM »

David I was only joking. Of course you are not like those guys I posted, everybody here knows that. I'd be careful though, a little leaven leavens the whole lump. Also glad to see you check in, and where is Cleopas?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 08:16:20 PM by Rafa999 » Logged

deuteros

« Reply #258 on: April 12, 2010, 09:46:45 AM »

Whatever happened to the Greek speaking churches in Antioch, Greece, Jerusalem, and in Alexandria?
most protestants can't answer me on this, the best answer I can get is orthodoxy.
My guess is that they would say they were destroyed by the Muslims.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #259 on: April 12, 2010, 12:44:18 PM »

Just a suggestion. Perhaps you can ask a few questions of us to re-boot the conversation.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #260 on: June 09, 2010, 07:22:50 AM »

LOL. We don't get much British understatement here usually.

What does British understatement mean?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 07:24:42 AM by rakovsky » Logged
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #261 on: June 09, 2010, 09:44:15 AM »

LOL. We don't get much British understatement here usually.

What does British understatement mean?
British cultural speech patterns seem to have a propensity toward understatement; that is, the intentional use of euphemism and other verbal devices to make a statement with the least possible offence. For example, whereas an American might say, "That is the ugliest man I've ever seen," a British person might say, "That man has a face one simply cannot forget." For this reason, American speech can sometimes appear to the rest of the world to be brash, whereas British parlance can appear elusive and incomprehensible.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #262 on: June 09, 2010, 01:28:09 PM »

Whatever happened to the Greek speaking churches in Antioch, Greece, Jerusalem, and in Alexandria?
most protestants can't answer me on this, the best answer I can get is orthodoxy.

Having watched this sit here for a long time, I have to ask this: why does anyone have to have an answer to what "happened" to them? What is there that has to be explained by some happening?
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #263 on: June 09, 2010, 02:57:07 PM »

Having watched this sit here for a long time, I have to ask this: why does anyone have to have an answer to what "happened" to them? What is there that has to be explained by some happening?

Smiley
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 02:58:15 PM by rakovsky » Logged
David Young
OC.net guru

Faith: Baptist
Jurisdiction: local church, Wrexham, Wales

2012, Presbyterian chapel, Nantyr

« Reply #264 on: June 10, 2010, 11:52:18 AM »

Perhaps you can ask a few questions of us to re-boot the conversation.

I did - two in fact. But no-one offered any answers. See "An outsider's impressions" thread.

"But if you bite and devour one another, take heed that you are not consumed by one another." Galatians 5.15
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #265 on: June 10, 2010, 12:34:36 PM »

I guess you have never read Aristotle either. The premise is based on "What ever has motion has cause". Wink

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #266 on: June 10, 2010, 04:34:58 PM »

I guess you have never read Aristotle either. The premise is based on "What ever has motion has cause". Wink

Well, quantum mechanics took causality down a notch quite some years ago, but I still don't see anything here that I, as a Protestant, should be expected to have an explanation for.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #267 on: June 16, 2010, 11:23:50 PM »

I won't take this thread anymore off track talking about my lineage, I just have to share that I found an amazing website that tracks my lineage all the way back to AD 555.  I am the descendant of many French kings!  Unbelievable!

What website is this?

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #268 on: January 14, 2013, 01:30:44 AM »

I think the claim that Protestants make is that the 'real' Church is a Spiritual 'people' and not a 'holy' Institutional/National entity like Roman Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy.

I think there are two issues with that premise. Firstly, the two are not mutually exclusive. The spiritual people ARE those who belong to the Church. We know this because the Spirit--in St. Paul's own words--would lead to UNITY (1 Cor 1:10)--not into disorder like Protestantism. And thus, if there is order, then there should be a visible body of believers, and we would thus argue that that visible body of believers IS the Orthodox Church. Secondly, they are assuming that the RC and EO Churches are merely "institutions" when we would say that it is the visible body of Christ on Earth. Protestants generally have a really bad understanding of EO/RC ecclessiology.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 01:31:35 AM by JamesR » Logged

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: