OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 25, 2014, 12:27:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: anyone heard of "The Living Bible"?  (Read 949 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: February 06, 2010, 04:51:20 PM »

I found this translation in my basement.  I dodn't know I had it.  I really like it because it reads like a story book.  it says it's "paraphrased".  would you not reccomend a paraphrased bible? itso, why?

I know I push the Orthodox Study Bible.  I still love it.  I like to use these both at the same time.  I accually read a verse in the LB, consult the KJV to see what it was originally, and finish by checking the Orthodox Study Bible (NKJV) to see what the church fathers say about this verse.

what is your opinion on this method of bible study?  are there any other translations I sould use?
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 04:55:48 PM »

I found this translation in my basement.  I dodn't know I had it.  I really like it because it reads like a story book.  it says it's "paraphrased".  would you not reccomend a paraphrased bible? itso, why?

I know I push the Orthodox Study Bible.  I still love it.  I like to use these both at the same time.  I accually read a verse in the LB, consult the KJV to see what it was originally, and finish by checking the Orthodox Study Bible (NKJV) to see what the church fathers say about this verse.

what is your opinion on this method of bible study?  are there any other translations I sould use?

I think the Living Bible is OK for casual reading, but probably not a good starting point for serious biblical study. But I don't really see anything wrong with your "method," as long as you are grounded in Orthodox interpretation and keep a concordance by your side.

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 05:01:26 PM »

I would not recommend this version because it is dumbed down and contains no poetry. There is more to language than simply conveying a meaning. That's why I still prefer the KJV. I think people gravely exaggerate how hard the KJV is to read.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 05:08:45 PM »

I would not recommend this version because it is dumbed down and contains no poetry. There is more to language than simply conveying a meaning. That's why I still prefer the KJV. I think people gravely exaggerate how hard the KJV is to read.

I totally agree with you on this.  The KJV is indeed beautiful.  I have one that was printed in the 1920's, and that has had 5 prior owners (5 names on the front cover).  my mom found it in a trash can at her work and gave it to me.  I feel like God sent it to me.  Although I push the Orthodox bible, for myself, personally, I do use a KJV more often than any other bible.
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 05:18:54 PM »

I totally agree with you on this.  The KJV is indeed beautiful.  I have one that was printed in the 1920's, and that has had 5 prior owners (5 names on the front cover).  my mom found it in a trash can at her work and gave it to me.  I feel like God sent it to me.  Although I push the Orthodox bible, for myself, personally, I do use a KJV more often than any other bible.
Amazing! Does this Bible of yours contain what Protestants call the "Apocrypha"? I know some Episcopal churches have the KJV with the Apocrypha. They tend to  be included in the older KJV bibles. I don't think newer traslations have them. I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 05:22:15 PM by ChristusDominus » Logged

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 05:25:26 PM »

I totally agree with you on this.  The KJV is indeed beautiful.  I have one that was printed in the 1920's, and that has had 5 prior owners (5 names on the front cover).  my mom found it in a trash can at her work and gave it to me.  I feel like God sent it to me.  Although I push the Orthodox bible, for myself, personally, I do use a KJV more often than any other bible.
Amazing! Does this Bible of yours contain what Protestants call the "Apocrypha"? I know some Episcopal churches have the KJV with the Apocrypha. They tend to  be included in the older KJV bibles. I don't think newer traslations have them. I could be wrong.

yes, it does.  it even has a few pages explainint the Apocryoha and why it's not included in most protestant bibles.  it's very interesting
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 05:30:15 PM »

AISI, some things to watch out for with the Living Bible.  As an interpretive paraphrase, I would think it much more open to the paraphraser's subjective interpretation of the meaning of Scripture and its individual passages.  If the paraphraser is not Orthodox--in this case, the paraphraser, Kenneth Taylor, was Baptist (http://www.bible-researcher.com/lbp.html)--then the final product is much more likely to be influenced by heterodox paradigms and doctrines than even a stricter heterodox translation like the NIV.  There's also the problem of sole interpretation.  If only one person works on the project of creating this paraphrase, who else is there to hold him accountable to correct doctrine, or even to proper scholarship?

For these reasons, I personally recommend that Orthodox Christians not use a paraphrase such as the Living Bible for any purposes and stick to more trusted translations such as the RSV or those used in the Orthodox Study Bible.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: