OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 10:36:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A good place to buy Orthodox books and items? (Isa help here)  (Read 1180 times) Average Rating: 0
Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« on: February 06, 2010, 12:22:51 PM »

I wanted to buy some good commentaries on patrisitcs and the Gospels by Orthodox theologians. Also some other items: incense for example. I discovered this website:

http://orthodoxincense.com/holymountain.html

which I really liked, and was thinking about buying this ancient Byzantine commentary:

The Explanation of the New Testament by Blessed Theophylact, Archbishop of Ochrid and Bulgaria
This classic Orthodox commentary of the New Testament was written about the year 1100 A.D. by a brilliant and saintly Byzantine Churchman. His commentary has remained a primary text of New Testament interpretation throughout the Orthodox world of Greece, Russia, Serbia, Bulgaria, and Romania. Blessed Theophylact distills the teaching of the earlier Church Fathers, especially Saint John Chrysostom, in language that is profound, powerful and direct. A fundamental, patristic, New Testament commentary of the Orthodox Church, and the first verse-by-verse Byzantine commentary of the New Testament to appear in English. Beautiful hardbound volumes for each Gospel are available!

Would this be a good orthodox commentary? I want something like a page by page exposition of the New Testament by someone like John Chrysostom, or better, a Friend/disciple of Chrysostom who explained his entire exposition along with that of many others alongside.  Opinions on the Orthodox study bible? I heard it was of so so binding, too similar to the New King James it modeled itself on, did not use the LXX, and had very little patristic material in it. Thoughts?

I am NOT a representative of the ACOE. Ignore my posts
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 12:44:54 PM »

I wanted to buy some good commentaries on patrisitcs and the Gospels by Orthodox theologians. Also some other items: incense for example. I discovered this website:

which I really liked, and was thinking about buying this ancient Byzantine commentary:

The Explanation of the New Testament by Blessed Theophylact, Archbishop of Ochrid and Bulgaria
This classic Orthodox commentary of the New Testament was written about the year 1100 A.D. by a brilliant and saintly Byzantine Churchman. His commentary has remained a primary text of New Testament interpretation throughout the Orthodox world of Greece, Russia, Serbia, Bulgaria, and Romania. Blessed Theophylact distills the teaching of the earlier Church Fathers, especially Saint John Chrysostom, in language that is profound, powerful and direct. A fundamental, patristic, New Testament commentary of the Orthodox Church, and the first verse-by-verse Byzantine commentary of the New Testament to appear in English. Beautiful hardbound volumes for each Gospel are available!

Would this be a good orthodox commentary?

Yes, you can get an idea from its citations:
http://books.google.com/books?lr=&q=theophylact+commentary&btnG=Search+Books

I want something like a page by page exposition of the New Testament by someone like John Chrysostom, or better, a Friend/disciple of Chrysostom who explained his entire exposition along with that of many others alongside.  

You can get St. John's commentaries on-line:
http://www.ccel.org/fathers.html

Opinions on the Orthodox study bible? I heard it was of so so binding, too similar to the New King James it modeled itself on, did not use the LXX, and had very little patristic material in it. Thoughts?
Better than any other Study Bible you're going to come across.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 12:46:11 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Michael L
Priest Michael

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 01:19:59 PM »

Would this be a good orthodox commentary? I want something like a page by page exposition of the New Testament by someone like John Chrysostom, or better, a Friend/disciple of Chrysostom who explained his entire exposition along with that of many others alongside.  Opinions on the Orthodox study bible? I heard it was of so so binding, too similar to the New King James it modeled itself on, did not use the LXX, and had very little patristic material in it. Thoughts?

I am currently reading through the Theophlact commentaries right now. They are very insightful and very much a patristic synthesis  of the Fathers (although most heavily influenced by St. John Chrysostom) at the time the Blessed Theophlyact wrote them around 1100 AD. I strongly recommend them!!

You may read the Gospel of Matthew online here : http://www.holytrinitymission.org/books/english/matthew_theophilactos.htm

You may also read the Sunday Gospel Reading from the publishers website here: http://www.chrysostompress.org/selected-gospel-commentaries

Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 12:17:57 AM »

Thankyou Isa. I will now consider getting that set. At least one book. Thanks.

I am NOT a representative of the ACOE. Ignore my posts
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: